The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I render audio from Reason onto a Logic Express audio track?
Old 22nd August 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
ElMosca's Avatar
 

How do I render audio from Reason onto a Logic Express audio track?

Greetings,
I have been studying Logic Express in the past few days. I consider myself a PT expert, so the learning curve hasn't been that steep. I have, however, come across a stumper, so I'm hoping the gearslutz can help.

I'm using Logic Express 7, plus Reason 3 and a Digi 002 interface. I have had success recording percussion audio tracks, dropping Apple Loops, and rewiring Reason (on an Instrument track). All in all, I turned out a pretty decent arrangement. Now, I would like to render the audio from Reason to a stereo audio track to free up the CPU, and I cannot find the magic routing or the page in the manual that tells me how to do this. Is this just not possible to do in Logic until bounce time? Ah, wait a minute.....

OK, I soloed the Reason track, bounced to disk and imported the resulting audio file. That works, althought it felt a bit crufty (not to mention that if I want to render five instruments, I have to repeat this operation five times).

Logic experts: Is this the correct/best/sanctioned way of rendering audio from a soft synth to an audio track?

PT people: What is the function in Logic that will allow me to bus an aux track onto an audio file in order to record it? If I set the Channel parameter to the Reason Mix output, I lose the Record enable button on an audio track. I can't find a busing combination that will accomplish this commonly used PT feature. Audio tracks only read from the Digi hardware, not a bus, and definitely not Rewire...

Thanks for all and any insight,
++aldo
Old 23rd August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ElMosca's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca View Post
Greetings,
I have been studying Logic Express in the past few days. I consider myself a PT expert, so the learning curve hasn't been that steep. I have, however, come across a stumper, so I'm hoping the gearslutz can help.

I'm using Logic Express 7, plus Reason 3 and a Digi 002 interface. I have had success recording percussion audio tracks, dropping Apple Loops, and rewiring Reason (on an Instrument track). All in all, I turned out a pretty decent arrangement. Now, I would like to render the audio from Reason to a stereo audio track to free up the CPU, and I cannot find the magic routing or the page in the manual that tells me how to do this. Is this just not possible to do in Logic until bounce time? Ah, wait a minute.....

OK, I soloed the Reason track, bounced to disk and imported the resulting audio file. That works, althought it felt a bit crufty (not to mention that if I want to render five instruments, I have to repeat this operation five times).

Logic experts: Is this the correct/best/sanctioned way of rendering audio from a soft synth to an audio track?

PT people: What is the function in Logic that will allow me to bus an aux track onto an audio file in order to record it? If I set the Channel parameter to the Reason Mix output, I lose the Record enable button on an audio track. I can't find a busing combination that will accomplish this commonly used PT feature. Audio tracks only read from the Digi hardware, not a bus, and definitely not Rewire...

Thanks for all and any insight,
++aldo
/bump. Any takers? Can this be done? Thx.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Cant you "Rewire" Reason into Logic?

I have messed around with Logic express and IIRC you can do this......
Old 23rd August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
ElMosca's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Cant you "Rewire" Reason into Logic?
I was able to Rewire Reason into Logic, but only via an Instrument track, which doesn't let me record the resulting audio as an AIFF. I can hear Reason in perfect sync with the rest of the Logic session, but what I want to do is "burn" or render the audio from Reason onto one (or more) audio tracks so I can close Reason (and free up some RAM and CPU cycles for Logic to use).

Thanks,
++aldo

Last edited by ElMosca; 23rd August 2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: missing / before "quote"
Old 23rd August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca View Post
I was able to Rewire Reason into Logic, but only via an Instrument track, which doesn't let me record the resulting audio as an AIFF. I can hear Reason in perfect sync with the rest of the Logic session, but what I want to do is "burn" or render the audio from Reason onto one (or more) audio tracks so I can close Reason (and free up some RAM and CPU cycles for Logic to use).

Thanks,
++aldo
Ahhh,

audio tracks; I have no idea how to buss stuff in Logic. The bussing isnt close to PTLE?
You cant buss an instro tack to an audio track and record from there.

Back in the OS9 days pre-rewire days, I would render audio out of Reason and import it into PTLE. I dont remember it being that bad....your not using the Mclass comp/Limiters on the mixer out? That could be the culprit!

sdf
Old 24th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
ElMosca's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Ahhh, audio tracks; I have no idea how to buss stuff in Logic. The bussing isnt close to PTLE?
You cant buss an instro tack to an audio track and record from there.

Back in the OS9 days pre-rewire days, I would render audio out of Reason and import it into PTLE. I dont remember it being that bad....your not using the Mclass comp/Limiters on the mixer out? That could be the culprit!
I'm not even at a point where I can moan about Reason's audio quality (or lack thereof). Your reply ("can't buss a intrument track to an audio track") is the same as what I have observed. Thanks.

For me this lacking capability is a dealbreaker when it comes down to considering Logic as my main DAW. Believe me, I want to like Logic, but right now, I find this a showstopper. In PT, I can buss each individual Reason instrument to its own audio track and render the entire arrangement at the same time. The equivalent operation in Logic would take longer because I'd have to run one pass for each instrument that I want to render or bounce.

Thanks,
++aldo
Old 21st January 2012
  #7
i used to bother with rewiring reason into logic, but i always found it to be a little finicky and unstable. now i just bounce my reason track as audio in the highest bitrate i can, and bring it into my logic session as audio..

this can be a little tedious if you decide to make changes in your reason arrangement, but i'd rather deal with that than having to deal with rewire bs.

that's what i can recommend. i realize it's not ideal, but it works, and might work for you heh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dual0568 / Music Computers
7
Umlaaat / So much gear, so little time
3
bendecido / So much gear, so little time
0
aquabluemusic / Music Computers
4

Forum Jump
Forum Jump