The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac pro prices seems a little crazy
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
I leased my Mac Pro for a $100 a month for 3 years and every $$ will come back through income tax.
if you have to buy a computer, *of course* take the write off. but we all find ourselves justifying purchases by saying "it's a write-off". the economics of such thinking are thus:

if you pay apple 2500, that's 2500 less you claim on taxes. assuming you're in the average income bracket (it's what? 35k-80k or thereabouts? somebody help me remember there.) then your tax rate is probably in the neighborhood of 25%. so you're NOT paying 25% on $2500. so you paid apple $2500 to aviod paying the government $625.

it's important to notice that the computer wasn't free, but rather is cost you $1875.

that said, of course we have to buy computers, and of course we write them off. but it's important that we not believe that they're "essentially free" because we write them off.

--jon
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I leased my Mac Pro for a $100 a month for 3 years
ouch! so you realize that you're paying 3600 for that 2500 machine, right?

--jon
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

take a class at the local community college and get the $200 student discount!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Not as crazy as their "Music PC" counterparts!
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig View Post
ouch! so you realize that you're paying 3600 for that 2500 machine, right?

--jon
Hey Jon, I'm up in Canada so that $2500 is actually $2799 + taxes which gets me to $3000 before the interest of the Lease. As well the Mac Pro is a capital expense so I can right off 25% for 4 years = 0. It was actually $103 a month, so whatever.
Part of the lease idea was to force me to use one computer for a while. IN the PC world I was tempted to rebuild every year. Which around my holidays, which I just finished. I usually spent a couple weeks waiting for parts, or something broke or something not working nice together. Now I have to wait 3 years, . Not really an issue but a path I've followed the last 4 years.
Later
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

i'm not familiar w/ canadian tax law, but i'm assuming it would function similarly... the machine is still not free, because the write off only prevents you from paying the percentage of taxation on that amount.

as for leasing... i just despise paying interest. i'd much rather wait for the next check to come in and buy outright.

--jon
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Maniac
I don't really totally get everything the wife tells me but she says that as long as I make $$ in my studio I can use purchases as a capital expense. I don't make all my income from the studio, I make $50K at the day job and last year I think she mumbled that I made $15K in the studio. So out of all that I usually pay about $15K to income tax (Canada really nails you). I usually get back around $5-6K of it. Most of that is because of the studio. As well my wife gets back about the same. Mind you the Lease part I can only do what I paid so about $1000 a year will go in.
BTW I show all my income on my taxes for this reason.
If I didn't have this studio running that tax $$ would be gone.
I figure I'm going to buy stuff anyways, just make it legit and go from there.
Done alright so far in 8 years.
Later

Yes I don't like making payments, this is the first for the studio, but I wanted to see how it goes.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

seclusion.
i'm in canada too , but refuse to pay these high prices.
cos with sales taxes on top its getting ridiculous imho.
i can buy 3 quad core pc's for 2700 buks. in canada.

i agree with jon.
i prefer to buy outright.

my new tag line......pc or mac ...
it all becomes doorstops in the end....lol.

just an idea seclusion. a quad core pc is 900 buks right??
(u can still write it off.)
so youve saved yourself a couple of g's.
now invest the couple of g's saved with a reputable cdn saveings fund.
over a 3 yr term prolly with a decent fund it might have made enough ..
like 600 buks say , so...in effect u got the quad pc for free.
cos in 3 years youll still get a few hundred prolly for the quad.
do u see my maths n what i'm saying ??
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So out of all that I usually pay about $15K to income tax (Canada really nails you). I usually get back around $5-6K of it.
assuming canada works in a similar fashion to the us (and it sounds that way so far--just the percentages are different), then you should withold less from your day gig's paycheck.

a refund of any sort means you paid in too much throughout the year. so the government gives it back. it's like having a savings account w/ the government for 0% interest. no thank you, i'll let you take less of my money, and i'll do good things with it throughout the year.

the idea is to break even (give or take a couple hundred bucks) come tax time.

Quote:
I figure I'm going to buy stuff anyways, just make it legit and go from there.
Done alright so far in 8 years.
absolutely, and you should be. this year in the states our revenue service announced outright that they were targeting small businesses (which, of course, includes self-employed engineers). so we all watch our p's and q's.

my point is, we often think of a purchase like a computer in terms of "i can write it off. therefore it's free." that's not the case. in reality, it's "i can write it off. therefore it will end up costing me 75% of what i'm getting ready to fork out"

adjust that 75% to taste.

--jon
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fortunately here in the UK we get the full value of computer purchases written off in the first year - unfortunately it cost me £3150 approx $6300) to buy a reliable (i.e. well supported) Music PC and will cost me about $7000 to buy a top notch MAC Pro. .. . . . . .
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post
just an idea seclusion. a quad core pc is 900 buks right??
(u can still write it off.)
so youve saved yourself a couple of g's.
now invest the couple of g's saved with a reputable cdn saveings fund.
over a 3 yr term prolly with a decent fund it might have made enough ..
like 600 buks say
600 return on 2grand? if you guys have any sort of fund paying out 30% interest (which is what you just described) sign me up; the wife and i will be there next week!

down here, money market accts are around 4-5% (which would yield $100, in this scenario). and a good mutual fund can get you between 11-13% ($240 in this scenario).

and let's be honest... there's never really a good reason to buy a peecee. heh

--jon
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

jon....just friendly banter...lol.
actually....believe it or not....with chinas resource needs vis a vis industrialisation,
the cdn resource sector has done rather well.

ive done rather well in the past few years.
in fact dam well.
but whether it lasts..who knows.
i just gamble with a little bit of crazy money without loosing the farm.

ok...lets be real pessimistic n assume u only make 200 buks with the 2k investment, ..over 3 yrs, alright 150 buks then u get 300 buks for the machine
in 3 yrs. thats still 450 buks on a 900 buk machine.
so youve lost 450 buks on a quad core pc ..and had use of the pc for3 years.
lets say you loose even 500 buks...not much is it for 3 yrs use ??

now lets look at the mac pro . what will it fetch in 3 yrs ??
cos u KNOW....more and more macs with more n more processor cores will come out with more POWER cos lots of media pros need lots of power..
cos thats how the industry works.

so in 3yrs lets say lotsa people dump the current pro's to get the new 16 core model for media work.
mebe at that point one might get 800 buks for the mac pro ??
is that a fair assessment ?? or lets say 1k. ??
what would your assessment be on price ?? in 3 yrs ??
is a loss of 1800 buks fair.....?? i dunno...
but i suspect i'm gonna loose less on the quad intel pc.

by the way....i owe no money. nor on my studio gear or pc.
so i must be doing something right...lol.
no....i lie...lol...the telephone bill just came in....30 buks....
aaarrggh .i'm in debt.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am waiting for the Mac Pro's to come down, I've never bought a mac for more than 2000 dollars and I never will. My first mac (G4) quicksilver was 1299 after rebate. Amazon . com is offering a 150 dollar rebate I think.

Macs are definately worth it if your running a studio and don't want to work on your computer 2-3 times a year like I still have to do with my PC's.

Don't forget the yearly cost of virus protection that you need to buy for windows, that can save you 500 dollars over a few years!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
I am waiting for the Mac Pro's to come down, I've never bought a mac for more than 2000 dollars and I never will. My first mac (G4) quicksilver was 1299 after rebate. Amazon . com is offering a 150 dollar rebate I think.

Macs are definately worth it if your running a studio and don't want to work on your computer 2-3 times a year like I still have to do with my PC's.

Don't forget the yearly cost of virus protection that you need to buy for windows, that can save you 500 dollars over a few years!
thumbsup exactly. this is what got me to start this thread. i buy a new mac every 2-3 years. i usually buy the model that is about a year old so that prices will have dropped and defects are known. these systems usually run me around $2k fully loaded. what is different this year that makes the apple pro priced so much higher and why hasn't it come down in price as macs usually do?

i also can't really justify buying a pro until all of the software i use is fully functional with intel. last i heard stylus and atmosphere were not intel ready. that is unfortunately a deal breaker for me.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
thumbsup exactly. this is what got me to start this thread. i buy a new mac every 2-3 years. i usually buy the model that is about a year old so that prices will have dropped and defects are known. these systems usually run me around $2k fully loaded. what is different this year that makes the apple pro priced so much higher and why hasn't it come down in price as macs usually do?

i also can't really justify buying a pro until all of the software i use is fully functional with intel. last i heard stylus and atmosphere were not intel ready. that is unfortunately a deal breaker for me.
Think of it in these terms, with one Mac Pro 2.66 you are buying the equivalent in power to a P.Tools HD8 at least , if we were to compare the price difference now it's staggering ! For that sort of power IMO $2700 is cheap .....

Spectrasonics not getting their act together for Intel Mac's is a real let down, considering 99% of companies have done so a while a go ... let's hope the wait for Trilogy(i'm sure you meant this) and Atmosphere is more than a wait for compatiblity but some real enhancements like faster loading, and some new sounds or even being able to load more sounds as they become available, like Stylus RMX....
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac
Stylus RMX is Intel, just atmosphere isn't.
Lot's of options to use than it.
For me, I knew I wanted to go to a system that can do what I want and need.
The Mac Pro is covering all the bases so if I end up spending an extra $1000 than waiting 6 months or more, I've lost that time working. If you want one, get one, if you don't then don't. No matter what you buy today, something down the line will kick it's ass.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
jon....just friendly banter...lol.
lol i know... no heated emotions here heh

Quote:
... pc for3 years. ...but i suspect i'm gonna loose less on the quad intel pc. ...pc.
but there's the fundamental issue... (just my opinion) there is no way i'd ever work on a pc. my first computer was a mac, and i really, really, really, can't stand the roundabout way that a pc operates. i'm sure it's 'cause i'm not familiar, and therefore a pc would probably be fine for those who are familiar, but for me, there's just too much crap to put up with on a pc. constant service pack upgrades, always running virus protection software (talk about draining cpu), etc. etc.

for me, the stability and compatibility make a mac my only option--and i couldn't be happier about that fact. so it's the tool i have to use. it's the brand of hammer i believe does a better job than all other hammers (to go back to my earlier, poor analogy heh )

(sorry for turning that into a mac vs pc thing).

all that said, i didn't have the cash to fork out for a mac pro last year when i upgraded, so i went a different route and got a macbook. it's got plenty of horsepower for editing (obviously--my old G4 did, too) and it will handle all buy my biggest mixes no problem. (but i'm not running any softsynths or the like).

--jon
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

jon..
i fully understand.
some guys like blondes. i like brunettes....lol.

lets revisit this in 3 yrs n see how things pan out for a giggle.
and what a mpro is worth then.
honestly my new dual core pc has never crashed once.
not one single problem. its just been doing songs day in/out.

my old daw is now my net pc .
same deal. no crashes or virii.

often the user is at fault, like some friends of mine that let their offspring
do all sortsa crazy stuff on the pc's. (ah..the teen tears..lol.)

god bless.
ps.that quad core pc for 900 is 2 gigs of ram and 300 gig drive.
if i remember.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
lets revisit this in 3 yrs n see how things pan out for a giggle.
and what a mpro is worth then.
i agree totally--to each his own.

i'd be willing to bet that each will have depreciated by nearly the same percentage in 3 years. (ie, neither will be worth **** heh )

--jon
Old 26th August 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
Pathetic

I broke down, and spent $2500 on a now "long in the tooth" Mac Pro 2.66 Quad. I realize this is basically a server class computer. I think the thing that tipped me over now instead of waiting a future product is the ability to replace the procs with 2 quad cores down the road at a significant reduced priced in 12 months or so, if I need the additional performance. Since these procs are Xeon, and not a specialty to the Mac, they should be readily available through corporate geared sources at much reduced prices down the road. I used to be an IT operations manager for a large (now out of biz) sub-prime lender, so I am extremely comfy with server class machines, and parts.

I really don't know what I am bitching about, I spent over 10k each on many quad core Xeon processor servers only 2 years ago. Of course, it was easier when it is corporate money. It is so easy to talk about spending a half million on server/networking equipment for a project when it is corporate money, but so much more difficult when the pennies emerge from one's own change purse. Bah, humbug!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig View Post
all extended warranties, be they from apple or best buy or whomever, are designed to make you and your money part.

--jon
Depends on your needs if your making $500.00/day Applecare will more than pay for itself. I hand a laptop replaced while working in Europe, Apple sent me a box to pack it in the driver waited while I packed it is was returned 3 days later Cost + $0.00
I had a G4 which was approaching 3 years old it was un-repairable Apple sent me a brand new G5. Apple Service and phone support is and Apple care is a must have in any pro studio.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

People are talking about extra costs for virus software, draining on cpu from all kinds of stuff etc. when using PC. If you build a dedicated audio PC then you don't have to use those things AND it will be way cheaper than a Mac. Now I'm a Mac guy - and I really hate to repeat myself - but it sucks that you can't get a Mac that you can fill with audio cards that's still decently priced.
Old 6th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
i guess the bottom line is that it is an investment. i think a similar pc would be about half the price though. guess i better get a good gig so i can justify it soon.
Not many PC's have Xeon processors. Haven't seen a PC with the spec's of the Mac for that kind of money. Often more expensive and offering Intel core duo processors.

Wouldn't even consider a PC with their trashy OS for audio production...

Best,

Jamzone
Old 6th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddykev View Post
I just moved up from a G4/1.25 last week to a Mac Pro Quad 2.66... and wow, I can't tell you how happy I am. Amazing performance boost with this machine. Great build quality too. With 5GB of RAM and a nice Seagate Barracuda drive for audio, it's working incredibly well. I pulled up a few PT sessions that were previously taking up over 80% of the CPU on the G4. With the Mac Pro, they was barely registering 10% of CPU usage, if that.
I've got a dual 1.25 that was top of the range when I bought it...it's only recently that it's started to become a bottleneck. 5+ years out of a computer isn't bad is it?!

Still can't wait to be able to afford a Mac Pro though....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search