The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If Logic 8 never happens what will you goto? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

If Logic 8 never happens what will you goto?

Sorry for another Logic "what if" thread but after 3 years, I'm giving up hope. It's beginning to remind me of Studio Vision when Gibson took over. Looking at Steve Jobs talking about Garageband, I don't think that app will survive too much longer either.

I think I'll move to Cubase if they surpass L7's current feature set. I never have taken the plunge from SX3!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Sorry for another Logic "what if" thread but after 3 years, I'm giving up hope. It's beginning to remind me of Studio Vision when Gibson took over. Looking at Steve Jobs talking about Garageband, I don't think that app will survive too much longer either.

I think I'll move to Cubase if they surpass L7's current feature set. I never have taken the plunge from SX3!

Reaper.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, I only use logic for midi programming, then I dump everything into Pro Tools. So I'm not too concerned with Logic 8. Besides, I just got Logic 7 and it was a bitch to learn, so I'll stick with it for at least a year after 8 comes out (if it ever does).
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Of course Logic 8 will come out. But if it didn't I'd stick with Logic 7 if given the current options. Everything people complain about in Logic is really easy for me. Comping 20 drum takes with 16 mics each, quantizing live drums, creating new tracks (duh.)

People seem to complain about Logic simply because they haven't bothered to learn how to use it.

I DON'T like the random crashes, clicks at beginnings of bounces, and effects cashes emptying randomly in the middle of songs. But everything else is cool.

If something new were to come out that allowed you to edit individual instruments in a stereo mix, I'd switch. You now, pop in a mono Elvis recording and change the bass line or vocal melody. Or load up a Bach CD and change the individual notes of instruments in the orchestra... or even tune a single string of a strummed guitar.

Otherwise I'm cool with Logic 7.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Of course Logic 8 will come out. But if it didn't I'd stick with Logic 7 if given the current options. Everything people complain about in Logic is really easy for me. Comping 20 drum takes with 16 mics each, quantizing live drums, creating new tracks (duh.)

People seem to complain about Logic simply because they haven't bothered to learn how to use it.

I DON'T like the random crashes, clicks at beginnings of bounces, and effects cashes emptying randomly in the middle of songs. But everything else is cool.

If something new were to come out that allowed you to edit individual instruments in a stereo mix, I'd switch. You now, pop in a mono Elvis recording and change the bass line or vocal melody. Or load up a Bach CD and change the individual notes of instruments in the orchestra... or even tune a single string of a strummed guitar.

Otherwise I'm cool with Logic 7.
I hate the clicks too. I have this one thing that always happens wit BFD. When I do a bounce, I will hear some random drum sound trigger on the one (and I usually bounce a measure of silence).

Overall though, I agree, Logic is what I am good at. I've had Pro Tools reps tug on my arm to switch, but I have always told them to piss off. I mainly don't like their attitude toward me. Like "YOU'RE WRITING WITH THAT PROGRAM. WHY?" I always respond that it's because it suits me best. If everyone drove a Chevy the world would be a pretty boring place.

Once you learn the Logic screens, the program is so easy.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Why switch just for the sake of it? Logic 7 works fine anyway, doesn't it?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear
I'll go to my studio and boot up Logic 7.2 and get on with making some music.heh
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Happy with Logic 7 here too....
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I HATE mixing in Logic.

Mixing in ProTools is great, DP is mostly OK....

just my 2c

Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

See, and I hate mixing in Pro Tools. I hate doing pretty much anything in Pro Tools. I started on a 4 track in 1990. Moved to Roland VS-880 in 1996, then VS-2480 in 2001. I ran a budget studio full time for four years working every day with the Roland... which was VERY simple. Then in 2005 I bought a new Mac Dual G5 and both Pro Tools HD1 and Logic 7 at the same time. I figured I'd be using Pro Tools mainly with a bit of Logic on the side. Unfortunately every time I tried to do something in Pro Tools it felt like pulling teeth. While in Logic it just seemed to work. Eventually I just started using Logic for everything. I know it's the total opposite of what happens with most people, but for me Logic worked and Pro Tools seemed limited.

I think it's all about the customizable work spaces and key commands. I also strip silence all of my kicks, snares and toms and give them batch fades with very short fade ins and pretty long fade outs. This is impossible in Pro Tools!!! But it's right on the arrange page in Logic. Everyone says Pro Tools slays Logic for drum editing, but it can't give a separate value for in and out with batch fades? That's just lame and makes the whole stupid program useless for me. What do the "pros" say? "Use Gates!" haha... are we still in the 80's? AND... even though I record mostly rock bands, I usually start with a drum machine beat and LOTS of tempo fades. So all of my projects start with midi. In Logic it's a breeze. In Pro Tools... uh no piano roll matrix screen set? No thank you.

So after a year I sold my HD1 and picked up M-Powered with the Production Toolkit, just for compatibility.... oh and the occasional mastering session if I want to use Massey plugs! So yeah... I know I'm in the minority, but I'd take Logic 7 and a G5 any day over an HD3 system.

But I still want Logic 8 and an 8 core Intel Mac with Symphony... hehe.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADROOM View Post
Happy with Logic 7 here too....
Ladies and Gents, don't get me wrong! I'm happy too, but I was happy with Version 5 also on the PC and if I hadn't moved over to the mac and I was still using LAWP I'd be pissed right about now!

Just think it's getting a little ridiculous that it's taking so long for an update. Logic 8 doesn't look like it's going to happen, and I hope that I'm wrong!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Surpassing LP7's current set? SX3.1 and C4 have been doing that already on many thing, especially on the audio side simply way beyond. SX3.1 was not so on the plug side compared to LP7, but since C4 it is pretty egual on that too.

BTW, I do believe Apple will come up with some sort of LP8...

Regards,

Roger
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 8? At this point I'm way past caring, I switched to Pro Tools HD back in December and have never been happier with a decision. Unlike Logic, Pro Tools is extremely intuitive, VERY easy to learn and really fun (yes I said FUN to use) when I look back at all of the time I wasted fighting Logic I still get a little angry with myself. Logic is still installed on my Mac but I have not used it since I got PT. Logic 8 would have to be one really bad ass program to get me to come back. It would also have to be more stable than Pro Tools and I'll believe that when I see it. All of those years with Logic I wasted valuable time wearing my science hat, now with PT I only need my music hat. Hallelujah!

Pro Tools is the ****!*

*YMMV
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

WTF I know people who make wicked music and making good $$ using Logic 6.....
What is it exactly you need so desperately that you feel compelled to spend hours to learn a new software plus splashing out more cash.... a hit button?

I'm looking forward to LP8 in the same way as I'm looking forward to all new software releases... it's always fun to see what stuff they've come up with but.............
I'm getting along just fine with 7.

Can the mods please start deleting these threads they're completely bloody pointless!
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Apparently there are folks out there who have purchased the new version of GarageBand and have discovered a dialog that says: "You need a newer version of Logic to do that". I forget exactly what they were trying to do, though - sorry, but it's encouraging.

I'm happy with Logic but there are a few things that absolutely have to be fixed:

1. The length of time it takes to draw waveforms. This is absurd compared to how Cubase handles it.

2. Meters and the song position location need to be properly updated when using high-latency effects on a buss. Currently, the meters and SPL are AHEAD of the audio.

There are a handful of other items, but I'm too angry right now to type them up. I had posted a detailed message in Apple's Logic support forum which I was going to copy from, only to see the entire thread get deleted for some reason (It was called "Where's the Love?" or something like that). Man I HATE that forum.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

here we go again... i decided to not wait any longer and made the switch to digital performer about a year ago. it seems to suit my needs at the moment. for me it has been 100x more stable than logic and i find it to be very intuitive. i had to buy a bunch of vi's and plugs to bring dp up to snuff, since it comes with almost nothing useful in terms of instruments and plug-ins.

multitracking, punching, comping are all great.

midi is a bit lacking in comparision to logic, as are the quicktime sync options.

after about 50 of these logic vs. x threads i am a believer that any modern audio application can accomplish 90% of anyones neeeds. the other 10% comes down to personal preference, specific needs and stability.

for me stability is most important.

if logic 8 is great and substantially different from logic 7 i will buy it and reevaluate at that point.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBenz View Post
Apparently there are folks out there who have purchased the new version of GarageBand and have discovered a dialog that says: "You need a newer version of Logic to do that". I forget exactly what they were trying to do, though - sorry, but it's encouraging.

here's info on the garageband reports:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....15073&#5115073

there is, at the very least a new version of logic express coming. i'm almost curious enough about garbageband to get a copy. looks great to me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Both logic and protools are fine for me.
I've been workin with logic since version "notator"
Working with protools for 2 years.
They both have their advantages and disadvantages,
If you work intensively with both, it doesn't matter anyway.
Remember how you were working 10 years ago.
Any limitation will make you more creative.

But if I'm "building" a production from the midi piont off view, logic seems to make more sense.
If I'm recording/mixing projects protools seems to be the right choice.
And mixing doesn't seem to make any difference to me for both programs.

So if one or the other dissappears, I have still one left.

greetings
Old 22nd August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
See, and I hate mixing in Pro Tools. I hate doing pretty much anything in Pro Tools. I started on a 4 track in 1990. Moved to Roland VS-880 in 1996, then VS-2480 in 2001. I ran a budget studio full time for four years working every day with the Roland... which was VERY simple. Then in 2005 I bought a new Mac Dual G5 and both Pro Tools HD1 and Logic 7 at the same time. I figured I'd be using Pro Tools mainly with a bit of Logic on the side. Unfortunately every time I tried to do something in Pro Tools it felt like pulling teeth. While in Logic it just seemed to work. Eventually I just started using Logic for everything. I know it's the total opposite of what happens with most people, but for me Logic worked and Pro Tools seemed limited.

I think it's all about the customizable work spaces and key commands. I also strip silence all of my kicks, snares and toms and give them batch fades with very short fade ins and pretty long fade outs. This is impossible in Pro Tools!!! But it's right on the arrange page in Logic. Everyone says Pro Tools slays Logic for drum editing, but it can't give a separate value for in and out with batch fades? That's just lame and makes the whole stupid program useless for me. What do the "pros" say? "Use Gates!" haha... are we still in the 80's? AND... even though I record mostly rock bands, I usually start with a drum machine beat and LOTS of tempo fades. So all of my projects start with midi. In Logic it's a breeze. In Pro Tools... uh no piano roll matrix screen set? No thank you.

So after a year I sold my HD1 and picked up M-Powered with the Production Toolkit, just for compatibility.... oh and the occasional mastering session if I want to use Massey plugs! So yeah... I know I'm in the minority, but I'd take Logic 7 and a G5 any day over an HD3 system.

But I still want Logic 8 and an 8 core Intel Mac with Symphony... hehe.
I would agree, strip silence is much cooler in Logic and I use it to clean up ugly toms - never kick and snare though. Why would you want to do that?. I never even use strip silence in Pro Tools. As far as the slaying PT part in editing drums or any audio editing I would have to say that is not my experience.
Old 22nd August 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

If logic 8 will not come, I've been thinking about switching back to pc and cubase 4. However, every time I think about this, I always end up staying in osx and logic, mostly because core audio and because vista, audio software and hardware are not compatible with each other.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
I would agree, strip silence is much cooler in Logic and I use it to clean up ugly toms - never kick and snare though. Why would you want to do that?. I never even use strip silence in Pro Tools. As far as the slaying PT part in editing drums or any audio editing I would have to say that is not my experience.
Yo... I said most people say PT slays Logic for drum editing. Not the other way around. I just don't understand why PT doesn't have this simple function considering it's better for editing on most everything else. Seems like a big oversight.

As far as strip silencing the kick and snare... have you ever used a gate on kick and snare? That's how I use strip silence... but it's much better than a gate because you can taylor each hit. Doesn't seem too weird to me.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac
Im a rather happy Logic 7 User myself, and its great for composing and doing all the midi stuff, but the only thing that REALLY pisses me off, is the fact that it uses 7bit faders instead of 10bit like Cubase and ProTools. I dont get it, and its really a pain in the ass while mixing when reaching the "lower resolution". 7bit is just not enough for an accurate mixdown.

Im mixing in Protools if I can. I would switch to a TDM System if I could afford it, just for the sake of mixing. Mixed on an Icon and instantly fell in love with it....

If Logic 8 wont be released id stick with Logic 7, mixing in any other software.
Old 22nd August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yo... I said most people say PT slays Logic for drum editing. Not the other way around. I just don't understand why PT doesn't have this simple function considering it's better for editing on most everything else. Seems like a big oversight.

As far as strip silencing the kick and snare... have you ever used a gate on kick and snare? That's how I use strip silence... but it's much better than a gate because you can taylor each hit. Doesn't seem too weird to me.
I try to avoid gates on kick and snare but if I use them I'll use one with a floor control so I can feed some of the bleed in to make it more natural and if you've got a guy on snare hitting a ton of ghost notes I just like it having it more open. Using strip silence you have to go back and adjust if you don't want everything so isolated . I will gate kick and snare for parallel comp things.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
Surpassing LP7's current set? SX3.1 and C4 have been doing that already on many thing, especially on the audio side simply way beyond. SX3.1 was not so on the plug side compared to LP7, but since C4 it is pretty egual on that too.

BTW, I do believe Apple will come up with some sort of LP8...

Regards,

Roger
Since I don't have C4 I wouldn't know, but I do like Cubase. I get a better sound with Logic 7 than with Cubase SX3. I would love to see an overlap of features with Cubase and stability issues with cubase resolved on the mac side before I would step knee deep into it. Maybe at this point they are there, but I've never trusted Steinbergs "beta" testing on paying customers tactics!

Logic is pretty rock solid for me at this point, but I would love to see a control room feature in Logic, and sample level editing in arrange. AND some CD marker features in the arrange window and finally an FTP function built into the program. I would be happy as I could be!
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Digital Performer.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Pro Tools + Live is a killer combo but I also work in Logic.

I prefer to take advantage of each aps particular strengths instead of bitching and moaning about thier weaknesses.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

funny, i think strip silence in logic is pretty lame. the window is non zoomable and you there are no preview markers. weak.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

funny, i think strip silence in logic is pretty lame. the window is non zoomable and you there are no preview markers. probably the worst strip silence interface of any app i use.
Old 23rd August 2007
If Logic 8 never happens I will be jumping to reaper when Mac versions come out.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
If Logic 8 never happens I will be jumping to reaper when Mac versions come out.
+ 1

But, damn, the mac development is slow! I just don't see how it's going to be anywhere anytime soon.

Reaper for PC is rocking my world right now. killer app
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search