The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If Logic 8 never happens what will you goto? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 28th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Hell no it doesn't seem far fetched. It'll just take people, money and time to make it happen. It seems like an AI thing Ray Kurzweil might be interested in. A drum plug in would be a good starter (as opposed to an orchestra.) The computer just needs to "learn" what a snare sounds like and what a ride sounds like. With a drum set it's basically a set of 15 or so very distinct sounds. Each one has a strong transient. The exact sound of each drum could be fed in one at a time so the computer knows exactly what each instrument sounds like ahead of time. Each drum should have a pretty individual signature or set of characteristics and then a predictable envelope. It would take considerable processing to separate all of the bleed instruments from each mic, but hey... we need something that uses all those cores!!!

But if no body asks for it no one will put the money up to make it happen. So I've decided to start preaching to people so more and more people will at least want this type of software.

Hey! Maybe I should start one of those fake companies and just claim that I've already made the software!!! You know, like those free energy freaks. I'll get people all riled up about it and talking about it on forums... and then Kurzweil or Apple will steal my idea!!! Oooops... I guess I just spilt the beans on that one...
Except that each snare hit for example has own tonality because the drummer never hits it exactly the same way. That's a lot of hits to load. Then there's all the other sounds, tails of the drum and ambiences bleeding into the mic that actually become part of the snare sound itself and to remove say the same freq's that are in the hihat would remove vital freqs from the snare unless the computer fills in the missing stuff and then it's just a computer emulation. Just playing devil's advocate so don't get pissed. Personally, I love all the bleed of drums, it's what makes it sound like a single instrument with all the sympathetic stuff in there and not a bunch of separate instruments. Without it you have sterile drum machine sounds albeit with human timing
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Logic 8? At this point I'm way past caring, I switched to Pro Tools HD back in December and have never been happier with a decision. Unlike Logic, Pro Tools is extremely intuitive, VERY easy to learn and really fun (yes I said FUN to use) when I look back at all of the time I wasted fighting Logic I still get a little angry with myself. Logic is still installed on my Mac but I have not used it since I got PT. Logic 8 would have to be one really bad ass program to get me to come back. It would also have to be more stable than Pro Tools and I'll believe that when I see it. All of those years with Logic I wasted valuable time wearing my science hat, now with PT I only need my music hat. Hallelujah!

Pro Tools is the ****!*

*YMMV
Yeah, I totally agree. PT allows me to think less technically and just concentrate on music. I still have Logic though for softsynths, etc...

Back to PT, if they would do the following, it would be all that I ever need:

FREEZE. So that I can freeze my softsamp/synth tracks.

That's all I would need.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Except that each snare hit for example has own tonality because the drummer never hits it exactly the same way. That's a lot of hits to load. Then there's all the other sounds, tails of the drum and ambiences bleeding into the mic that actually become part of the snare sound itself and to remove say the same freq's that are in the hihat would remove vital freqs from the snare unless the computer fills in the missing stuff and then it's just a computer emulation. Just playing devil's advocate so don't get pissed. Personally, I love all the bleed of drums, it's what makes it sound like a single instrument with all the sympathetic stuff in there and not a bunch of separate instruments. Without it you have sterile drum machine sounds albeit with human timing
Well yeah, that's where the AI comes in. Speech recognition can tell what words your saying even though you are one of millions of possible people and even though you won't say the word the same way twice. The technology basically already exists, it just needs to be applied. I think it would be pretty easy to get a computer to recognize the difference between a snare, kick and ride... no matter how they are played.

Then it needs to assume what spectral information belongs to each hit and recreate it exactly... but on it's own track. It won't be an emulation anymore than a 24 bit wave file is an emulation of a drum set. All recordings are emulations if you want to get finicky. Frequencies that belong to both the high hat and snare will end up on each track because the software KNOWS that they both share those frequencies.

It's great that you love bleed! One of the great things about this type of software is that it would allow you to KEEP the bleed, but make it in phase. You might like out of phase drums, but I think you'd be in the minority... but even so, the software would allow you to make each drum EVEN MORE out of phase if you'd like. That's the point. You'd have total control. You could even turn up the bleed without turning up the direct signal.

I'm not talking about having the signal re-synthesized. After the tracks are separated, they'd sum together to be the exact same as the original track until altered. After all, this is my fantasy so I'm making the rules! haha.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. PT allows me to think less technically and just concentrate on music. I still have Logic though for softsynths, etc...

Back to PT, if they would do the following, it would be all that I ever need:

FREEZE. So that I can freeze my softsamp/synth tracks.

That's all I would need.

Freeze would be very cool. Since I got my Mac Pro, I haven't needed to freeze that much, but I would still be nice to have that option on really dense (soft synth wise) projects. I'm looking forward to the upcoming elastic audio features that Digi will be adding.

Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Aaaand...

jsut magically this thread is turning into a PT wishlist thread.
Old 28th August 2007
Deleted User
What I want is for Apple LATE (Latte in France...) to have a 'BURN' as well as a 'Freeze' feature.

that way you could click the little 'flame' icon and, for example, turn your virtual instrument track directly into audio without any export/import/create new track nonsense. With an option to 'burn' with or without plugins (hold down the shift key to burn with plugs, for example).

I'd use that at the end of every project I work on so that years later when somebody asks me to remix it or tweak it, I don't have to slap myself up the head because the plugins are no longer compatible, external gear has been sold off, or the VI sounds different, etc etc...

Not to mention that 'Freeze' and 'Burn' are cool features to be able to advertise. It's "Logic 8: the FreezerBurn Edition!"

//// Either way, I'll be happy when it finally comes out sometime next year. Or the year after that. Or... ////
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
What I want is for Apple LATE (Latte in France...) to have a 'BURN' as well as a 'Freeze' feature.

that way you could click the little 'flame' icon and, for example, turn your virtual instrument track directly into audio without any export/import/create new track nonsense. With an option to 'burn' with or without plugins (hold down the shift key to burn with plugs, for example).

I'd use that at the end of every project I work on so that years later when somebody asks me to remix it or tweak it, I don't have to slap myself up the head because the plugins are no longer compatible, external gear has been sold off, or the VI sounds different, etc etc...

Not to mention that 'Freeze' and 'Burn' are cool features to be able to advertise. It's "Logic 8: the FreezerBurn Edition!"

//// Either way, I'll be happy when it finally comes out sometime next year. Or the year after that. Or... ////
that sounds fantastic
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnoiser View Post
jsut magically this thread is turning into a PT wishlist thread.

heh
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post

they gotta do something along those lines because logics bouncing is a pile of the most rancid, maggot infested sh1t there is.

I'm so fed up with it truncating bounces, no matter what i've tried it seems totally random; sometimes i'll get a good bounce, sometimes not.

GRRRR

PS: Burn idea sounds wicked! which is why i doubt it will ever see the light of day on LP :(
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search