The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If Logic 8 never happens what will you goto? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybud View Post
I am just so *(*&£ fed up[ with logic.
The way Apple has mishandled Logic and ignored their pro audio user base has become a joke (especially among the PT crowd...so how's that 'PT killer' coming?!).

Jobs obsession with finding the next 'iPod' is gonna end up being his white whale.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
The way Apple has mishandled Logic and ignored their pro audio user base has become a joke (especially among the PT crowd...so how's that 'PT killer' coming?!).

Jobs obsession with finding the next 'iPod' is gonna end up being his white whale.
M, well your preaching to the choir lol.
Im about 85% at the f*& it stage and just going HD now, I must be honest part of me doesn;t want to give Apple my money for this because I don't think they deserve it. Don't get me wrong i do love Apple, i wouldn't use any OS other than OSX, but im not giving them money for a DAW again!
Old 27th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hardly.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Hardly.
Wow, excellent argument. I've completely changed my point of view on Apple's failure to take Logic to the next level.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
As if this was a stronger argument than "hardly".
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by artnoiser View Post
As if this was a stronger argument than "hardly".
If you think 3 years without offering a single bug fix is acceptable, good for you. If you can't tell the difference between how Apple handles their real 'pro' aps and how they've handled Logic, well...good for Apple!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

The have recently included a pro apps support, which among other things does something for Logic.

You know something though? I swear it got just that little bit more unstable since they did lol
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The have recently included a pro apps support, which among other things does something for Logic.

You know something though? I swear it got just that little bit more unstable since they did lol
All part of their plot to drive us to Garageband Pro!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
If you think 3 years without offering a single bug fix is acceptable, good for you. If you can't tell the difference between how Apple handles their real 'pro' aps and how they've handled Logic, well...good for Apple!
:smileylaughingoutloudly: i wasn't really referring to that. Just to your assertion that steve jobs is going to go white whaling with a new ipod idea.

No way do I find our long waiting period acceptable...but between 2 opinions, one saying "Apple is giving no thought whatsoever in regards to Logic 8", and one saying "Yes they are", it still feels just like opinions based on what apparently almost no one knows (well, maybe also on a very factual 3-year wait, which doesn't mean much until we really know why.)

Anyhoo, my comments usually end up being fairly tongue-in-cheek.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
All part of their plot to drive us to Garageband Pro!
you have a VERY sick sense of humor! lol
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
:
No way do I find our long waiting period acceptable...but between 2 opinions, one saying "Apple is giving no thought whatsoever in regards to Logic 8", and one saying "Yes they are", it still feels just like opinions based on what apparently almost no one knows (well, maybe also on a very factual 3-year wait, which doesn't mean much until we really know why.)
This is the problem, the veil od secrecy Apple has installed is just making so many people (myself very much included) think that logic has indeed been put out of it's mysery.

I reckon Apple would loose more money from People switching than they would get from sales of Logic pro 7 now in which case why don'[t they just say yes L8 is comming (or garageband pro ) or no it ain't.

Either way i think at this point it's just damage limitation, hey they may even win over a few fans for their honesty PMSL.

GRRRR, i have to go to bed now and i'll be grumpy about logic all night! :P
Old 27th August 2007
Harmless Wacko

Oh ye of little faith...

L8 WILL come out.

Soon.

Disbelievers will gnash teeth in darkness, all other will levitate to audio Valhalla.

I have spoken.

SM.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

lol wouldn't it be funny if L8 actually had the ability to handle audio tracks. It's rumored that L7 can but it's purely a myth.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I might be WAY to positive on this issue, but imagine the damage Apple would self-inflict on itself with every Mac user that has switched from PC with Logic 6 & 7, and now telling them to go look at another Pro DAW. They already lost a bunch of people that got (rightfully) mad at the fact that Logic 7 was available as an upgrade costing the same to Logic 5 and Logic 6 users (i went directly from 5 to 7).

My guess is as good as the next person's, but business-wise, it wouldn't make much sense. It would (maybe) make more sense to assume they're coming out with something really tricked out, be it Logic 8 or something else to appease the angry crowd (but maybe not).

In any case, here goes to crossed fingers!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
:smileylaughingoutloudly: i wasn't really referring to that. Just to your assertion that steve jobs is going to go white whaling with a new ipod idea.

Anyhoo, my comments usually end up being fairly tongue-in-cheek.
My bad! It just irks me to no end to see the huge leaps and bounds Final Cut Studio has taken over the past 3 years. Logic is way overdue.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
lol wouldn't it be funny if L8 actually had the ability to handle audio tracks. It's rumored that L7 can but it's purely a myth.
The scary part is waiting to see how extreme the makeover will be. I'm hoping they'll bring the Hyper editor out of the 80's and into the new millenia but what if they, *gasp*, put it out to virtual pasture?!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
I might be WAY to positive on this issue, but imagine the damage Apple would self-inflict on itself with every Mac user that has switched from PC with Logic 6 & 7, and now telling them to go look at another Pro DAW. They already lost a bunch of people that got (rightfully) mad at the fact that Logic 7 was available as an upgrade costing the same to Logic 5 and Logic 6 users (i went directly from 5 to 7).

My guess is as good as the next person's, but business-wise, it wouldn't make much sense. It would (maybe) make more sense to assume they're coming out with something really tricked out, be it Logic 8 or something else to appease the angry crowd (but maybe not).

In any case, here goes to crossed fingers!
I think you make alot of sense, the only thing troubling me though is Apple likely to invest this much R&D for something that is comparatively niche?
I'de like to believe they would but in reality i have an underlining feeling that they are just ignoring it.

Jobs does have a tendency to purely go where the money is (hey thats business i guess it's to be expected) take the recent setback of Leopard in favor of the iphone.

Of course it could be argued that with more revenue Apples future will become even more solid and provide years more of excellent computing, but it doesn;t change the fact that their priorities disappointed alot of people in the short term, which is exactly what i think has become of Logic.

And i must say i'm not bashing Apple, i love all three of my macs (dual 1ghz g4 " my first time!" me little macbook and my 2.66 mac pro
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
The scary part is waiting to see how extreme the makeover will be. I'm hoping they'll bring the Hyper editor out of the 80's and into the new millenia but what if they, *gasp*, put it out to virtual pasture?!
Perhaps they wil do Microsofts jobs of copying: imagine a little treble clef " hey! it looks like your writing a song!"
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps they wil do Microsofts jobs of copying: imagine a little treble clef " hey! it looks like your writing a song!"
Old 27th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow, excellent argument. I've completely changed my point of view on Apple's failure to take Logic to the next level.
Sorry but as much as I like working in Logic and am really hoping for an upgrade, Apple could dump it tomorrow and not even experience a hitch in their giddy up. Probably pretty far down on their list of things to do.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPZ View Post
Probably pretty far down on their list of things to do.
Gee, that's an understatement lol.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think you make alot of sense, the only thing troubling me though is Apple likely to invest this much R&D for something that is comparatively niche?
I'de like to believe they would but in reality i have an underlining feeling that they are just ignoring it.

Jobs does have a tendency to purely go where the money is (hey thats business i guess it's to be expected) take the recent setback of Leopard in favor of the iphone.

Of course it could be argued that with more revenue Apples future will become even more solid and provide years more of excellent computing, but it doesn;t change the fact that their priorities disappointed alot of people in the short term, which is exactly what i think has become of Logic.

And i must say i'm not bashing Apple, i love all three of my macs (dual 1ghz g4 " my first time!" me little macbook and my 2.66 mac pro
Those are good points!

Now, slipperman speaketh, turn ye heads to the prophet!

If he is wrong, let him be stoned!

(tho I remember him saying he stopped doing that long, long time ago)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

someone please merge this with the other logic rumor thread in new products.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

A little birdy from an apple tree told me it's coming, don't worry. MANY improvements are in the works. I used to live in SF and have many apple peeps....chirp chirp.
Old 27th August 2007
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post

If something new were to come out that allowed you to edit individual instruments in a stereo mix, I'd switch. You now, pop in a mono Elvis recording and change the bass line or vocal melody. Or load up a Bach CD and change the individual notes of instruments in the orchestra... or even tune a single string of a strummed guitar.

Otherwise I'm cool with Logic 7.

Considering how Autotune changed the face of today's music do you have any idea what would happen if we could do what you suggested?

I'm not sure you really want to see this!heh
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I know, it's scary stuff. But I want it. I especially want to be able to manipulate all of the individual drums on each mic. This would allow me to move all of the drums into phase, or remove everything but the snare from the snare mic. If the software could identify all of the drums and place them on a matrix (for each mic) and allow me to quantize them, that would be pretty cool. I'm convinced it will happen someday.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Doesn't that sound hyper complicated to achieve? I mean, super duper CSI make–believe complicated? (I saw it on an episode, where they separated the car noise, and the different voices off of a answering machine tape!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I know, it's scary stuff. But I want it. I especially want to be able to manipulate all of the individual drums on each mic. This would allow me to move all of the drums into phase, or remove everything but the snare from the snare mic. If the software could identify all of the drums and place them on a matrix (for each mic) and allow me to quantize them, that would be pretty cool. I'm convinced it will happen someday.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncyJones View Post
Doesn't that sound hyper complicated to achieve? I mean, super duper CSI make–believe complicated? (I saw it on an episode, where they separated the car noise, and the different voices off of a answering machine tape!)
But consider that even a tenth of what is possible today would have seemed like total science fiction even ten years ago. I don't think there is anyway of us even beginning to understand the possibilities that await us.
Old 27th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Quote:
But consider that even a tenth of what is possible today would have seemed like total science fiction even ten years ago. I don't think there is anyway of us even beginning to understand the possibilities that await us.
Well considering that with a 2 track mix you have instruments with various frequencies and tonalities overlapping in a (to borrow a photoshop term) flattened image it may seem a little far fetched although it would be cool.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hell no it doesn't seem far fetched. It'll just take people, money and time to make it happen. It seems like an AI thing Ray Kurzweil might be interested in. A drum plug in would be a good starter (as opposed to an orchestra.) The computer just needs to "learn" what a snare sounds like and what a ride sounds like. With a drum set it's basically a set of 15 or so very distinct sounds. Each one has a strong transient. The exact sound of each drum could be fed in one at a time so the computer knows exactly what each instrument sounds like ahead of time. Each drum should have a pretty individual signature or set of characteristics and then a predictable envelope. It would take considerable processing to separate all of the bleed instruments from each mic, but hey... we need something that uses all those cores!!!

But if no body asks for it no one will put the money up to make it happen. So I've decided to start preaching to people so more and more people will at least want this type of software.

Hey! Maybe I should start one of those fake companies and just claim that I've already made the software!!! You know, like those free energy freaks. I'll get people all riled up about it and talking about it on forums... and then Kurzweil or Apple will steal my idea!!! Oooops... I guess I just spilt the beans on that one...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search