The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
If Logic 8 never happens what will you goto? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 23rd August 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

I often use Strip Silence in ProTools to do exactly this... it's fast, easy and accurate. Then you just select all the hits and do a batch fade... What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Yo... I said most people say PT slays Logic for drum editing. Not the other way around. I just don't understand why PT doesn't have this simple function considering it's better for editing on most everything else. Seems like a big oversight.

As far as strip silencing the kick and snare... have you ever used a gate on kick and snare? That's how I use strip silence... but it's much better than a gate because you can taylor each hit. Doesn't seem too weird to me.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
If Logic 8 never happens I will be jumping to reaper when Mac versions come out.
say, are you one of those guys with a "NO FEAR" sticker on the back window of his car?
Old 23rd August 2007
  #33
Gear Addict
 
jonutarr's Avatar
 

cubase and garageband
Old 23rd August 2007
  #34
Gear Nut
 

I used logic 5.5 on PC until about 4 months ago. It became too long in the tooth. I moved to Nuendo. I really like Nuendo (pro tools was too pricey . . . but I've used it extensively as well.)

The only thing about Nuendo that bugs me is that there is no humanize function. The midi functionality in general in Nuendo 3 is inferior to Logic 5.5. However, I have greatly enjoyed Nuendo's superior audio editing capability. My workflow has improved.

I'm hoping logic 8 will come out soon (I believe that it will). I am seriously considering moving from PC to Mac and going with a symphony rig.

Though . . . I feel that the different platforms are becoming somewhat interchangeable. I've worked on all three in last month and was always able to get the job done.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
say, are you one of those guys with a "NO FEAR" sticker on the back window of his car?
Never! maybe a "FEAR" sticker and when I say "FEAR" I mean Lee Ving, Philo Kramer, Derf Skratch and Spit Stixx. I'm just sick of waiting around for logic to be logic again. I remember when emagic owned it they were constantly updating and fixing things. kinda like what the people at Reaper are doing.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzayuss View Post
IThe only thing about Nuendo that bugs me is that there is no humanize function.
But it does it! Tho' not with out of the box settings. You can adjust the at random timing as much as you want. Also, you can use you're own groove templates on midi too...

Regards,

Roger
Old 23rd August 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

To me it looks more and more that Protools is dominating the whole market completely. They're having such a complete product offer from top high end to budget prices I believe it is far from easy to take that fort...

Regards,

Roger
Old 23rd August 2007
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Never! maybe a "FEAR" sticker and when I say "FEAR" I mean Lee Ving, Philo Kramer, Derf Skratch and Spit Stixx. I'm just sick of waiting around for logic to be logic again. I remember when emagic owned it they were constantly updating and fixing things. kinda like what the people at Reaper are doing.
what about Blue Oyster Cult, as in "Don't Fear the Reaper"?
Old 23rd August 2007
  #39
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

What's the big "effing" problem?
Logic 8?!
Logic Super V8?!
Logic Reconstituted?!
Logic Relaopped/Realigned/Re-Lubricated?!!------Logic is just fine! It's a great, in depth, all in one full-featured tool!! If you can't create music with it--you've got some serious problems!! If changing the number from 7.2 to 8 is gonna make you feel any better, look up the word "placebo", then take a couple of "sugar pills", calm down and move on to "ProTools" or "DP" or "Cakewalk" or "Nuendo" or whatever the **** will make you feel better, no one's holding a gun to your head!!! What a bunch of whingers and whiners.....GMAFB!!
Old 23rd August 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
What's the big "effing" problem?
Logic 8?!
Logic Super V8?!
Logic Reconstituted?!
Logic Relaopped/Realigned/Re-Lubricated?!!------Logic is just fine! It's a great, in depth, all in one full-featured tool!! If you can't create music with it--you've got some serious problems!! If changing the number from 7.2 to 8 is gonna make you feel any better, look up the word "placebo", then take a couple of "sugar pills", calm down and move on to "ProTools" or "DP" or "Cakewalk" or "Nuendo" or whatever the **** will make you feel better, no one's holding a gun to your head!!! What a bunch of whingers and whiners.....GMAFB!!
It's not that Logic 7 isn't good. It's very good. In fact it's good enough right now, that I wouldn't switch to any other platform, however, it's been this good for about 2 years. Now as all of the other programs have been updating regularly, there are many things that Logic doesn't have, that it should have to be on the bleeding edge.

Logic 7 feels unfinished. There are simple routing funtions that it's missing, it has poor multitimbral inst support, the arrange page audio editing is functional but not great, it's has 2 mixers (1 track mixer & 1 environment) that can be streamlined into 1.

I LOVE Logic, and we work great together, but it's in need of a SERIOUS update, regardless of what it's called.
Old 24th August 2007
  #41
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
It's not that Logic 7 isn't good. It's very good. In fact it's good enough right now, that I wouldn't switch to any other platform, however, it's been this good for about 2 years. Now as all of the other programs have been updating regularly, there are many things that Logic doesn't have, that it should have to be on the bleeding edge.

Logic 7 feels unfinished. There are simple routing funtions that it's missing, it has poor multitimbral inst support, the arrange page audio editing is functional but not great, it's has 2 mixers (1 track mixer & 1 environment) that can be streamlined into 1.

I LOVE Logic, and we work great together, but it's in need of a SERIOUS update, regardless of what it's called.

Reasonable response. Much appreciated....
Old 24th August 2007
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick View Post
I often use Strip Silence in ProTools to do exactly this... it's fast, easy and accurate. Then you just select all the hits and do a batch fade... What am I missing?
You're missing the fact that drums should have a very short fade in and a fairly long fade out to sound natural. Batch fades in PT only offer one field for both in and out which makes it useless to me.
Old 24th August 2007
  #43
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
Pointless

Thread is pointless. There will be a new version of Logic. Food for thought. Why would Apogee develop a product, the Ensemble, specifically designed for the Mac, and specifically for Logic, if Apple was not working on a serious update to keep Logic competitive?
Old 24th August 2007
  #44
Lives for gear
 

need to check this but i'm pretty sure you actually can do only the fade ins and then only the fade outs seperatley it PT. As an aside I was a die-hard logic person (from notator to 2007) till very recently but having moved to a pt hd setup I kick myself for not moving earlier. There are things that annoy in PT - I used to highlight a bunch of faders and move them together all the time in logic - something you can't do in pt without making a group and all kinds of little things like that but tracking in pt is to me so much better than in logic. I'm really curious to see logic 8 though as i still like logic as a composing tool
Old 24th August 2007
  #45
Lives for gear
 
nofi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
If logic 8 will not come, I've been thinking about switching back to pc and cubase 4. However, every time I think about this, I always end up staying in osx and logic, mostly because core audio and because vista, audio software and hardware are not compatible with each other.
...you can always run cubase4 on a mac, you know.... no need to switch platforms back to PC just because you're leaving logic. especially if you prefer the mac's OS.

Though vista stuff seems a lot better sorted out now... (not that I'd know from my own experience, because I use XP still, and not planning on changing OS for a year or two at least!) and it's always improving. in a few months I reckon all will be good with it and most music applications and hardware.
Old 25th August 2007
  #46
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
What's the big "effing" problem?
Logic 8?!
Logic Super V8?!
Logic Reconstituted?!
Logic Relaopped/Realigned/Re-Lubricated?!!------Logic is just fine! It's a great, in depth, all in one full-featured tool!! If you can't create music with it--you've got some serious problems!! If changing the number from 7.2 to 8 is gonna make you feel any better, look up the word "placebo", then take a couple of "sugar pills", calm down and move on to "ProTools" or "DP" or "Cakewalk" or "Nuendo" or whatever the **** will make you feel better, no one's holding a gun to your head!!! What a bunch of whingers and whiners.....GMAFB!!
I think you miss my point of this thread. IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE AN UPDATE! Are they going to do it? No one knows right? I base my whole studio on logic. I have 3 keys, I don't want to use another program! But if YOU had to what would you switch to? Cubase? What?

It's ridiculous at the lack of info on future updates about this program! Something obviously WAS going to happen at the Messe this year right? That's what....6 months ago?
Old 25th August 2007
  #47
Lives for gear
 
emkay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
I think you miss my point of this thread. IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE AN UPDATE! Are they going to do it? No one knows right? I base my whole studio on logic. I have 3 keys, I don't want to use another program! But if YOU had to what would you switch to? Cubase? What?

It's ridiculous at the lack of info on future updates about this program! Something obviously WAS going to happen at the Messe this year right? That's what....6 months ago?
You think incorrectly. I get the point of this thread. Years since an update? Are you kidding, it wasn't that long ago that I got the crossgrade. What maybe a couple of years? Big deal!! Yes, there are valid improvements that people have suggested that would make Logic more efficient. I too depend on Logic on a daily basis, but for me, nothing has prevented me from working everyday, future improvements or not. I feel badly that you are upset, but if you really feel it's necessary to make a "fall back" decision, then do so and then get on with it until you feel you have to make a change. It's not a big deal!! We're in a never ending cycle of technological change, we elect to roll with it or not. I hope you can work through this....good luck....
Old 25th August 2007
  #48
Deleted User
Guest
I've been using Logic since the Notator days on Atari... back when it did very little but did it extremely well and solidly. Now it does a whack load of stuff and it works great MOST of the time. But those clicks and pops and cache-noises drive me up the wall, as do the crappy support for multi-channel audio instruments, and lack of control room monitoring functions.

I will be sad if L8 (which I think should officially be known as "Late") doesn't fix the real issues. And despite the decade worth of old Logic songs I have, I'd probably switch to either Nuendo or PT HD. I dread spending the dough on PT, but I desperately crave the stability, relative simplicity and lack of latency. If I never have to toggle Logic's half-baked PDC "On/some/all" switch again it'll be a joyous day in my studio.

But if they just released 7.5 that fixed the bugs and pops in Logic, and maybe added true support for multi-channel instruments, I'd fork over a C-note or more and be a happy camper for at least another 3 years until Apple LATE arrives.

Old 25th August 2007
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Jazzpunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Years since an update? Are you kidding, it wasn't that long ago that I got the crossgrade. What maybe a couple of years? Big deal!!
Not sure when you decided to crossgrade but it's been over 3 years.

Anyone care to name another of Apple's 'Pro' aps that have been pushed back that long? Didn't think so.
Old 26th August 2007
  #50
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
there is, at the very least a new version of logic express coming.
Logic Express is simply Logic Pro with a limited compile. In other words, the codebase is the same. They just "turn off" some features when building the runtime application.

Meaning: if there is to be a new version of Logic Express, that means there is to be a new version of Logic Pro.

Orren
Old 26th August 2007
  #51
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Starr View Post
To me it looks more and more that Protools is dominating the whole market completely.
Sales-wise, Pro Tools has always outsold the competition. There has never been a time in which Pro Tools was not the #1 selling DAW. Depending on the industry figure you use (no, they aren't public) there are 5x to 10x more PT users than Cubase/Sonar users, which are in the heat for #2.

Orren
Old 26th August 2007
  #52
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
there are many things that Logic doesn't have, that it should have to be on the bleeding edge.
I've never really cared about being bleeding edge. You want bleeding edge, write your own sequencer. I want something rock-solid.

Pro Tools has never been bleeding edge. It tends to add features long after the competition. But it's rock solid. That's why pros love it.

I really don't care if the next version of Logic adds some fancy wizz-bang bleeding edge eye candy and 256-bit processing and a direct TRS jack into your brain for neural processing.

If Logic 8 is just Logic 7 with the quirks gone and the bugs fixed, I'll be in heaven.

Orren
Old 26th August 2007
  #53
Gear Addict
 
Orren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Are they going to do it? No one knows right?
I believe that Jay Asher, one of the posters on Gearslutz and the Apple Logic Discussion forums was officially authorized by Apple, GmbH to say that yes, Logic 8 is coming.

So yes, it's absolutely coming.

Quote:
It's ridiculous at the lack of info on future updates about this program!
It's too bad that Apple's cone of secrecy means that they can't just come out and say stuff, and needs to sort of seed information out the back door to keep from getting in trouble.

Quote:
Something obviously WAS going to happen at the Messe this year right? That's what....6 months ago?
Why would you say that? Because you read it on the Internet?

You can be sure that when Logic 8 is released, Apple Marketing in Cupertino will kick into overdrive. Apple Marketing doesn't send people to Musikmesse, only Macworld and NAMM. So at no point, was it likely that something would happen at Musikemesse. Whomever told you that was talking out of their ass. But then, most of these Logic 8 rumors are talking out of their ass.

Orren
Old 26th August 2007
  #54
This is where I stand on this as well. Sure I get stuff done but other programs are getting better and logic is falling behind. Do i want to learn a new program? Hell no so I wait. I'm in the middle of an album and if there is nothing coming out then I will pick a different suit and learn it when the album is done.




Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
It's not that Logic 7 isn't good. It's very good. In fact it's good enough right now, that I wouldn't switch to any other platform, however, it's been this good for about 2 years. Now as all of the other programs have been updating regularly, there are many things that Logic doesn't have, that it should have to be on the bleeding edge.

Logic 7 feels unfinished. There are simple routing funtions that it's missing, it has poor multitimbral inst support, the arrange page audio editing is functional but not great, it's has 2 mixers (1 track mixer & 1 environment) that can be streamlined into 1.

I LOVE Logic, and we work great together, but it's in need of a SERIOUS update, regardless of what it's called.
Old 26th August 2007
  #55
Gear Nut
 
Mr. Landmark's Avatar
According to a Norwegian pro audio & Apple dealer, Logic 8 is waiting for Leopard and will only work with Leopard. It will be 64 bit all the way which will result in a serious performance boost (the dealer guy said up to 40% performace improvement on 64 bit processors compared to Logic 7, but i don't know what's realistic to believe...). A totally new audio engine was mentioned, and also that Apple are working closely with Apogee, NI and SonyPlugs (Sonnox). And GarageBand 4 is taking over for Logic Express.

I must emphasize that these are probably just rumors and not necessarily true facts... but...

The part about Logic 8 waiting for Leopard and therefore the part about Logic being rewritten in 64bit code seems credible to me. I attended to a one day Logic/GarageBand course for Apple resellers at Apple Norway held by a former Emagic co-worker who's now hired by Apple. Although he didn't reveal much he mentioned that environment is going away and talked about some of the advantages of Logic being 64 bit. And at the end of the day he said that we'd probably meet again this fall, whatever that means... I can't see any reason for a new Logic course that soon unless Apple has something new up their sleeve.
Old 26th August 2007
  #56
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBasement View Post
... L8 (which I think should officially be known as "Late") ...
heh thumbsup
Old 26th August 2007
  #57
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Landmark View Post
Although he didn't reveal much he mentioned that environment is going away..
That seems to be a central theme in all of these rumors.. sure its a pita to have to go into the environment to setup a multi-channel VI, but the power of the environment and being able to create any possible midi routing sceme I can think of is one of the reasons I moved to Logic, so I really hope this isn't true..
Old 26th August 2007
  #58
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I hate the clicks too. I have this one thing that always happens wit BFD. When I do a bounce, I will hear some random drum sound trigger on the one (and I usually bounce a measure of silence).

See if this works – Save, Play, Stop, Revert to Saved. Then bounce.
Old 26th August 2007
  #59
Gear Head
 

Pro Tools HD.
Im about £300 from making this a reality now.
If no logic 8 by xmas/new year "or if it feels crap" then i'm switching.

I am just so *(*&£ fed up[ with logic.
Old 26th August 2007
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
artnoiser's Avatar
 

cooge

I'd start working entirely OTB.

Seriously tho, I'd keep going with 7 as long as I am not violently tempted to get something out there that's bigger, better, and faster, for things I'd absolutely need to do but couldn't in 7.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ben_allison / So much gear, so little time
64
Matt Hepworth / So much gear, so little time
18
audiomichael / High end
62
drummin4christ / Low End Theory
12
Magnus / So much gear, so little time
27

Forum Jump
Forum Jump