The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How will more RAM help me? DAW Software
Old 21st August 2007
Deleted 
How will more RAM help me?

At the moment my system is

Asus p5b deluxe (wifi) motherboard
Intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz
1gb ram (not sure of name)
2 seagate barracuda drives, 1 for audio 1 for programs
ati radeon x300 graphics card
uad1 card
Liquid mix.

I use flstudio 7, and cubase sx3. I might be using sonar 6 in the future. I use my UAD and LM for my main plugins, along with a waves renn bundle, and the Sonalksis sv range.

At the moment, I've done all my work (mainly vocal work) and mixdowns and haven't had any issues with my computer crapping out on me or running out of resources. When im at the end of a mix...i check my system and im usually using ...

60% of my CPU's and 60-70% of my ram. On average.

Would upgrading my ram benefit my plugin count? How smooth the program runs? How will i benefit from a musical point of view.

The ram i'm looking to add is...

Kingston HyperX Memory

2x 1gb sticks of this, and still use my other 1gb.
Old 21st August 2007
Deleted 
more ram is always better, and yes; having more ram will increase the amount of plugins, instruments, and tracks you can have at one time. be aware though, that windows xp with service pack 2 will only recognize ~2-2.5 gigs of ram due to the 32bit architecture limitations. I would probably add another gig, but upgrading to 3gb is unnecessary unless you plan to use xp 64 bit edition or vista....

good luck,
Damian
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphykik View Post
more ram is always better
Um, not true. More RAM is better if you're RAM-starved; adding more after that just empties your wallet to no good end. In this particular case, yes, 1GB of RAM is probably limiting, but adding RAM is not a panacea.

On a Mac you can trivially tell whether you're out of RAM or not (look at the "page out" count); if you're not paging out, more RAM won't buy you anything. Dunno about PCs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search