The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Idea for guitar tone. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Idea for guitar tone.

Ok, I have this idea but I need some help actualizing it...

I have heard of people playing a particular riff twice as fast, and an octave higher than usual, and then resampling it 200% slower, so that the octave and speed are correct, but the waveform is stretched, producing an interesting tone..

I was wondering, because some riffs are nearly impossible to play twice as fast, what if you played the riff half speed, used the pitch shift to shift it an octave lower, and then resampled it to speed it up?

or maybe it would be better to shift it up after the resample?

I think it would be better this way because you'd be squashing a lot more waves into the same space instead of stretching one... just seems like there would be more thickness or something..
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

haha...

thanx man . good one. thumbsup

whats the question ???

heh
Old 21st August 2007
Personally I doubt digital stretching would give a cool effect to your guitar sound. If you could do it on 4 track it would probably sound interesting. Maybe try a wacky old effects pedal for what I would imagine would be a much better result.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

why would it sound different on a 4 track? Try playing your riff an octave high twice as fast and resample it to half speed, it sounds pretty muscular.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

These are actually some of the best ideas I've heard around here in a while, not that they work or not because I don't know, but because someone's thinking about making sounds that are only possible with a DAW.

Like the DAW would actually be part of the instrument.

I would keep pushing your thinking in that direction.

Read this article on Musique Concrete:

Musique concrète - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard a piece that was a campfire slowed waaaaaaay down and it was incredible.

I'm intrigued by the idea of slowing digital recording way down until it literally falls apart.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

generally speaking, I don't think that either would be better than the other.

they both sound like cool ideas. why don't you try them both out with guitar part with a moderate tempo. that way you can do it both ways and hear the difference for yourself.
my guess is that they will both have distinct sound qualities that could be useful.

go for it!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

hmmhh..

slowing up and down (tape) was there from the very begining and not really new...

remember mr zappa ??

now pitch shifting is really gonna mess up your tone... at least do it on DI signal then reamp on real amp and rerecord. that way you will get some of your definition back...

sorta...

btw long time ago i did one bands demo on tape by slowing down guitars... kinda like meshugga plays sabbath songs vibe...

i use speeding up tracks all the time to add snare samples augmentation (great mid impact) or during cartoons post ...

Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

Try it several different ways but don't forget to post the results if you find anything worthwhile.

Thanks,

John
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted User
what about using a digitech whammy pedal set to pitch shift the signal up one octave, and then play the guitar one octave lower than you would? this obviously wouldn't work for chords, but i've heard bands use the whammy in this manner for single note melody/lead lines. whammy + delay thumbsup.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

UPDATE: Clip of 2x+1OctUp resampled

Here is what happens when you play the riff twice as fast, an octave high, DI into the computer and resample it to slow it down to half speed (Aligning the tempo and pitch to original). This is 4 takes layered and put through different default amp-sims in Cubase4.

Supload.com - Free Music Hosting, Free Audio Hosting, Free Image Hosting, Free Video Hosting, Free Movie Hosting

Doing the other way is going to be more difficult becuse of the lack of a string lower than the lowest one...

I am going to mess with playing the riff twice as slow, pitch shifting it down an octave, and then resampling it to twice as fast so that the pitch and tempo align...

you can easily play the riff half speed, but getting it an octave lower is going to be the hard part, maybe the pedal would work for this? I really think that if done right, this could sound really cool.
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi View Post
hmmhh..

slowing up and down (tape) was there from the very begining and not really new...

remember mr zappa ??

now pitch shifting is really gonna mess up your tone... at least do it on DI signal then reamp on real amp and rerecord. that way you will get some of your definition back...

sorta...

btw long time ago i did one bands demo on tape by slowing down guitars... kinda like meshugga plays sabbath songs vibe...

i use speeding up tracks all the time to add snare samples augmentation (great mid impact) or during cartoons post ...

Not to mention Les Paul. He used speed ups at least a few times, IIRC. (Which is odd, in a sense, because he often played very fast, anyway, like Zappa.)

Speeding up tape was used a lot, from the Chipmunks (doubling the speed) to trying to make things more urgent by VSO'ing the speed. (In the twighlight days of the analog ear, people even pressed harmonizers into service ro perform pitch-shifting in addion to tape speed changes.)
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

but what I am talking about is speeding up the tape after playing the riff twice as slow, so you are cramming twice the audio into the same duration, in addition, to prevent it from actually sounding higher in pitch from the speed up, I am lowereing the octave of the input.

so in theory it should sound normal, but almost like a double tracked guitar in one take... in a way... kinda.

in fact, if somebody could play me a 140bpm simple heavy rock/metal riff at 70bpm and send it to my email address so that I can mess with it right now, that would be fantastic... any takers? please record it DI and send me the clean signal. or if you can only do Mic'ed thats fine too!!

[email protected]
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEcho View Post
...so you are cramming twice the audio into the same duration
not exactly, since when you double the speed your computer is going to throw away half the samples- not "cram" them in shorter time span. correct?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

try reaper

i saw a tutorial of this in reaper..just set the speed bar to half record the part and speed it up again.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I am trying to use more manual methods for this to prevent any silly digital trickery they might try to pull (such as the time thing in reaper, and Live has something similar..) that is why I use the resampling function, because I doubt it throws away anything..

it would be nice for someone to shed some light on this concept, though.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

I like the idea. Very Beatle-y. Look into wavelab, it has some cool stuff that would work for you...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search