The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
upgrading from pentium M notebook to dualcore pc = quantum leap or just some % more? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

upgrading from pentium M notebook to dualcore pc = quantum leap or just some % more?

high fellow sluts (although, as you can see from my post, i'm not even a (gear) nut yet..so please forgive my ignorant question)

so far, i was using a computer only for recording my hardware gear; an ibm thinkpad with pentium M (1.7 ghz) and 1gb ram running samplitude and / or reaper fulfilled the task fairly well.
now i started to use more and more vsti's (stylus rmx, truepianos, b4II) and, you guess it, cpu is overloaded even before i really start to do something serious, it's not even possible to have two tracks of the modelled instruments running at the same time!

now my question is: will a moderately fast new dualcore pc (in the range of, say, 1000$/euros) bring a "quantum jump", or is it anyway inevitable to have, e.g., a muse receptor or multiple computers to work (moderately) with vsti's? i'm not speaking of running vsl libraries and ivory and ten convolution halls in realtime, but for instance:
- 8 tracks stylus (mutiple outs)
- one or two tracks piano (real piano using lots of polyphony, not only a some chords)
- one or two tracks b4 / other softsynth
- maybe ten other tracks to sequence / record midi gear and guitars etc.
- moderate use of effects

sorry to put it so naive, but it's hard to find good advice to what's really necessary (the guy in the musicstore of course wants to sell me the fastest quadcore + core 2 + complete 4...would be nice, but don't afford and need it..), i'm still a hobby musician, and don't need (and afford) the hypest professional stuff, i would just like to be able to record things as described above, so some hints regarding the improvement from my pentium M notebook to, for example, a dell with the following specs:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle" width="22"></td></tr></tbody></table>
Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Prozessor (2,4 GHz, 1.066 MHz, 4 MB Cache), 2048 MB 667 MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 1024], 500 GB Serial-ATA-Festplatte (7.200 U/Min.) mit 8 MB DataBurst™-Cache
would be greatly appreciated!
thank's for your advice / hints / thoughts / tips!!!

cheerio, oxy
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search