The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Node Mac mini Desktop Synthesizers
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

Logic Node Mac mini

Hi, I have a macbook(white), and I feel the Cpu power isnt enough.

The thing I wan to know is, if I buy a mac mini, how powerfull will it be with logic pro.

Has anybody testet the combination of mac mini in logic node, I have searched here and couldnt findt specifik about how powerfull it is.

How many plugins/effects/synth can it handle. I know that its only Logic Pro plugins, but thats cool I like them. I cant wait to see the logic 8 stuff how it will be.

I hope you can help me, thank you.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

Please help guys, I really need help
Old 24th August 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
Patience

I am in the exact same conundrum. I have a MacBook Core Duo, and I am considering adding a node. First, no EXS24 or 3rd party plug-ins on a node. Second, you are still limited to the maximum processing power of any one core per thread. So if you are using Massive or Guitar Rig, this will not solve your issue.

I tested the idea with my Macbook and an older G4 Powerbook. Setup was easy, but I didn't actually get any processes running on node, yet. It was a short test a couple of days ago.

I really don't think it is a very good idea, plus you still have the limitations of a single firewire bus, slow internal hardrive, and RAM limits. Apple currently has refurb Mac Pro 2.66 for $2199.

I really think the best strategy is to wait until we see what Apple does after the Pennryn processors are released in early November, and the Mac Pro is either upgraded or refreshed. The Mac Pro line is due for a refresh, it has been over a year, and only the Octo-core processor option has been added. i hope this helps
Old 24th August 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
on another note

Have you considered off loading some of the workload onto a cheap quad-core Dell 9200. They were recently selling for $600. For example, you could run your VST synths, or Kore/Komplete, or Guitar Rig on the PC, and pipe the sound over eight channels of ADAT.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

I think it sucks that it is only Logic stuff that can run trough NODE. Why Why. I cant see the point

Why not open it so 3 part plugins can run too, then they will sell a lot more computers.

Maybe the Logic 8 have this feature.

think about it, you buy any DSP powered unit, and the power is about the same as a mac mini. I will buy a mac mini and native plugins instead, where I also can use it as computer and lan HD. So we are not bonded with a dsp powered machine, we can use the native plugins everywhere. THATS COOL.

I can only hope for this feature, but are in doubt.

HEAR ME APPLE.
Old 14th September 2007
Here for the gear

Logic 8

Now that Logic 8 is here, does it mean can run 3rd party plugs on the NODE machine.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search