The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools Bounce to Disk Bit Resolution? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Pro Tools Bounce to Disk Bit Resolution?

I used the search, but couldn't find an answer, so I hope this isn't too common of a question.

I would like to know how I should be bouncing mixes from Pro Tools, specifically, whether I should bounce at 24-bit or 16-bit. I tried a bit of experimentation myself, and I found bouncing at 24-bit yielded a better sounding CD (using Toast to burn an Audio CD) than bouncing to 16-bit. This is sort of backwards logic, because I'd assume PT has a better quality dithering algorithm (not even sure if that's the right term) than Toast Titanium.

My bounces are usually sent via FTP or iChat to clients, so I'm not really worried about size, but even when the end-medium is CD, I find the 24-bit bounces to sound better.

Any comments, suggestions or explanations? I've asked many people around where I work, and no one really seems to know the answer.
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

B-T-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumnbimmer View Post
I used the search, but couldn't find an answer, so I hope this isn't too common of a question.

I would like to know how I should be bouncing mixes from Pro Tools, specifically, whether I should bounce at 24-bit or 16-bit. I tried a bit of experimentation myself, and I found bouncing at 24-bit yielded a better sounding CD (using Toast to burn an Audio CD) than bouncing to 16-bit. This is sort of backwards logic, because I'd assume PT has a better quality dithering algorithm (not even sure if that's the right term) than Toast Titanium.

My bounces are usually sent via FTP or iChat to clients, so I'm not really worried about size, but even when the end-medium is CD, I find the 24-bit bounces to sound better.

Any comments, suggestions or explanations? I've asked many people around where I work, and no one really seems to know the answer.
You have to use a Plug-in that does dithering to 16-bit on your master fader. Bounce to disk will lop off the lower 8 bits when bouncing to 16, so if you have already dithered to 16 on your master fader, no problem...
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

One of my pet peeves. Bitdepth reduction is not dithering. Dithering is noise you add when doing bitdepth reduction to lessen the ill effects of bit truncation.

There's only one way of doing bit depth reduction on integer data. That is removing the least significant bits. So both ProTools and Roxio will do this in exactly the same manner.

However it could be the case that Roxio adds dither noise by default and Protools does not. Or that you simply like the Roxio dither noise better than the Protools one. This is not an exact science.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Thanks guys for the replies

I've been using the Massey L2007 Mastering limiter on almost all of my mixes, mainly because most of my mixes don't end up getting mastered anyway. I used to use the L2 limiter from Waves, and that has the option of dithering, which the L2007 doesn't. The only plugin that I own that has that is the Digidesign maxim plugin, which I hate.

Anyway, I've been demoing the Wave Arts Powersuite plugins, and I'm starting to dig the Masterverb, and the Panaromic plugins, but I also noticed the Final Plug limiter in that bundle also has the dithering option. Would you guys suggest that plugin for this purpose?

Also, if the end-medium is both an independent file and also a CD, should I just bounce to 24-bit, or is there any advantage to using this dithering process when bouncing to disk instead of just burning the 24-bit file?

And thanks again for the info so far... this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Insert the Digi POWR Dither plug after your Massey - even if you are bouncing a 16-bit session to a 16-bit file.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Any other explanations or comments?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search