The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Use for an old G4, 733Hz
Old 20th August 2007
Use for an old G4, 733Hz

I have an old G4 that ran like clockwork at its time, but has been replaced by a G5 a couple of years ago. (On my G5 I'm running logic7, with some sample libraries such as the Vienna Strings, plus loads of other stuff of course)

To get OSX on the G4 I would have to get an external DVD drive for installation, as it was running OS9..

Is there any use for this computer or is it trash?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

you could start the machine up holding T, and plug it into the G5 using firewire. This will make the G4 drive pop up as a firewire drive, then you can install OS X on to it from the G5.

You could use it for Logic Node, or as a server (either just file sharing, or web/email hosting if you have a decent line). If you had OS X on there you could just use it as a client internet computer, or as a 2nd workstation for big sessions.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

my old dual 867 is my office machine now.. word processing and stuff like that.. still a very good machine.. not really slow at all and can run osx... that's all i'm asking.. it's great
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
you could start the machine up holding T, and plug it into the G5 using firewire. This will make the G4 drive pop up as a firewire drive, then you can install OS X on to it from the G5.
Is this really doable? Thought it wasnt possible to install OSX on a remote drive....

Anyway, if that works, do I need an OSX install disc specifically for a G4? Or can I use my copy for the G5?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I am sending this email on a G4 running OSX 10.4 that is only a 450 mhz machine.
It runs OK and I have even done 24 tracks of DP5.0 (without too many plug ins) and although it clogs up a bit... it works!

I am about to start using my G5 for all of my audio stuff.

The G4 will be an email machine.

DB
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

You can install on a firewire drive, I use one all the time for maintenance with a PowerPC partition, an Intel partition and OS 9 for classic.

You should be fine with the G5 disc (AFAIK) - I have always installed from a full disc. The installer will stop you if your trying to install from a G5 disc onto a G4, but in this case you won't be because the G4 will be in target disc mode.

As far as I know the operating system is exactly the same.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Logic Node!!

thumbsup
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I still have a G4 (single 1G MDD) laying around. Every time I fire it up, it sounds like it's going to taxi down the runway.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I still have a G4 (single 1G MDD) laying around. Every time I fire it up, it sounds like it's going to taxi down the runway.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!
LMAO..... that one really made me laugh out loud..
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Donate it to some young talented poor kid.
Old 21st August 2007
I track everything in my studio with a DP 533 with 512Mb of RAM.

And I used to mix with it until I got a Dual Core 2Ghz macbook...
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Logic Node!!

thumbsup
This was copied from the Logic manual:

"Distributed audio processing allows you to expand the processing capacity of your
Logic Pro system by offloading calculations for software instrument and/or DSP effects
to additional G5 Macintosh computers that are connected via Gigabit Ethernet. This is
perfect when using numerous tracks of CPU-intensive software synthesizers or plug-ins,
such as Sculpture or Space Designer."
"The primary (“host”) computer can be a single or dual processor G4 or G5 Macintosh,
equipped with a 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. Node machines need one or more G5
processors, and also need to be equipped with a 1 Gigabit Ethernet port (which is
standard on all G5 Macintosh computers)."

So this means its not possible to use the G4 as a node machine, and I suppose its not really reasonable to move the whole software setup to the single-processor 733 G4, just to be able to use the 2x2.7 G5 as a node?? Seems a bit over the top doesnt it?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

u can use g4 as node clients or hosts but u wont get much juice out of them. the only "real" req is giga ethernet. we have a stack of old g4/g5's that are noded for anyone of the four ctrl rooms here to use... but we hardly use them anymore for that since the new machines are real fast. we let them run seti at home and such things...

m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search