The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 harddrive configuration
Old 20th August 2007
3 harddrive configuration

I currently have 2 internal harddrives installed in my Powermac 2x2.7 G5 computer (running Logic).
At the moment, the first one is running the system together with all music software, including sample libraries for Stylus, Battery, Vienna Strings, etc.
The second one running all audio.

I realize this is not an ideal setup, so now I am going to get a 3rd harddrive for the software/samples.
I think I am out of PCI slots, so it would have to be a firewire 7200 drive I guess.

Some questions: with 2 internal and 1 external drive, how would you configure that between 1. system, 2. recorded audio files, 3. samples and software

Where is the ideal place for the Logic folder, Waves folder (and other plugins), and other programs?

Is there any folder/program that cant just be moved, but have to be reinstalled?

Advice is much appreciated!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Faber View Post
I currently have 2 internal harddrives installed in my Powermac 2x2.7 G5 computer (running Logic).
At the moment, the first one is running the system together with all music software, including sample libraries for Stylus, Battery, Vienna Strings, etc.
The second one running all audio.

I realize this is not an ideal setup, so now I am going to get a 3rd harddrive for the software/samples.
I think I am out of PCI slots, so it would have to be a firewire 7200 drive I guess.

Some questions: with 2 internal and 1 external drive, how would you configure that between 1. system, 2. recorded audio files, 3. samples and software

Where is the ideal place for the Logic folder, Waves folder (and other plugins), and other programs?

Is there any folder/program that cant just be moved, but have to be reinstalled?

Advice is much appreciated!
There is no need to move the software to a separate drive from the OS drive, as your DAW software and plugins are loaded into and executed from memory. Keep the OS and software on the main drive, and the audio on the second internal drive. Put your samples on the external drive. You can also use the external drive to backup the audio drive. Any software you have that accesses samples will have a folder location in it's properties. Just change that folder to the external drive after moving the files.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

or if you need to, move the samples to the new drive and put an alias to them in the samples folder of Logic (this will be ~/Library/Application Support/Logic).
Old 20th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
or if you need to, move the samples to the new drive and put an alias to them in the samples folder of Logic (this will be ~/Library/Application Support/Logic).
Clever! It doesnt slow things down at all working with aliases?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

No shouldn't do. If you use alias' you can spread samples over a few different drives too, if your library gets that big... This will also spread the bandwidth.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search