The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I be able to get lower latency w/ this setup? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

Should I be able to get lower latency w/ this setup?

Hi folks-

I'm running Cubase 4, Reason 3, Komplete 4 on a Dell XPS 400 w/ Pent. D and 3 gig RAM.
3 HDD's all 7200 RPM (boot, audio files and samples).

I did a fresh install of Home when I first got the machine and have done all the tweaks from musicxp.net.

My current interface is an Echo Audiofire 12, but I was getting the same results from the Firepod that I was using before.

My largest projects are 50 or so tracks split between 10-15 VST's (mix of Reason and NI stuff) and the rest audio. Some effects, all included w/ Cubase. Though I haven't really been able to get better results with smaller projects.

The best latency I've been able to get with out stutters/clicks/pops is over 700 samples/45 ms or so of latency, which sucks.

My questions, should I be able to get lower latency with this setup?
If so, any thoughts on how?

This has been killing me lately, and I'd rather not have to get a better computer if I don't need to, but if I don't have any other choice.....

Thanks.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

What is your interface for audio? And, what type of drivers are you using? ASIO2, MME.......

edit-Now I see the Echo!
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

The drivers are ASIO.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Problem is that the way you described your plugin count does'nt really say anything. "10-15 VST's (mix of Reason and NI stuff) " this does'nt say anything.

Is it 12 tracks of Massive running 48 voices ? That'll bring down any computer on the planet. Is it 12 mono tracks of Pro52 ? That could a Pentium 3 handle.

But with that said a Pentium D is by no means a fast CPU anymore if it ever was.
Sounds very likely you need a faster one.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

sure, that makes sense.
definitely not 12 instances of massive....

it changes from project to project, of course, but typically we're talking a couple Ak pianos, a couple Elek pianos, a B4 or 2, 1 battery, maybe an absynth or fm8, occasionally some reaktor effects (not anything to CPU intensive like Skrewell or anything like that).
maybe a reason combi patch or 2.

that's pretty much it.
Old 20th August 2007
I run a more modest machine so I'm no stranger to bounce and track freeze. I'm pretty sensitive to latency so I run my MOTU FW with a 128 sample buffer. When I'm tracking VIs, I keep the monitoring latency at the lowest, 2.9 ms.

If I'm mixing, I'll jack the monitoring latency way up -- I like to have it way up, even above what's necessary or safe, so next time I play a VI and it sounds laggy I want it to be really obvious right away.

When I'm tracking, I set it to 2.9 ms (which seems to work out to about 4 ms, which I guess is the DA on top of the buffer time, of course for the one way trip from the CPU to the speakers). If I can't run at that latency because of VI tracks or plugs I've inserted ahead of mix, I'll do a quick freeze or bounce so that I can.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

thanks for the responses.

yes, i suspect the "freeze" function is going to become my friend in place of a new computer (for the time being, at any rate)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search