The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Samplitude DAW Software
Old 19th August 2007
Samplitude

Hey, stay tune for a interesting review of Samplitude in EQ magazine's Sept edition.

Version 10 though is right around the corner with improved Mackie control mapping with Samplitude and some additional improvements with automation.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Hey, stay tune for a interesting review of Samplitude in EQ magazine's Sept edition.

Version 10 though is right around the corner with improved Mackie control mapping with Samplitude and some additional improvements with automation.
In your opinion, How does using Samplitude (whatever version) for mixing compare to using other programs like Pro Tools, Cubase/Nuendo, or Logic for the same reason?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Glenn- where did you hear about Ver 10? I haven't seen anything announced by Magix about it...

Anyways, Mixing in Samp/Sequoia is different than in PT (where I can compare- I don't use any other DAWs). In some respects it is considerably better, in others, it lacks. It really depends on the way that you are used to working.

Automation and control surface support has lagged compared to other programs. However, the object-based mix paradigm is far beyond most other DAW's abilities. The object-based paradigm is basically a clip-based automation, but with an implementation on steroids. Honestly, when I mix, I almost never touch a fader. Just takes too long.

I think Samp and Sequoia are probably some of the best sounding DAWs out there. Compared to the work I do in PT, my mixes sound better right out of the gate in Sequoia- it is a much more open sound.

As a tracking tool, I generally prefer using Pro Tools- Sequoia is fine, but there are things that I just prefer in PT for production work.

I could go on forever about this, but probably your best bet is to download the demo if you are interested in Samp and give it a whirl.

--Ben
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post

I hope not. V9 isn't even fully complete. IMO (for some users)
Where did this info come from?

SamV9 is a great program. Coming from Steiny software makes it a little hard to grasp. My work habits were formed Steiny apps, so getting used to SAM lingo and work flow to and is still taking time to understand. Still, a mighty program non the less .
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Version 10 is supposed to be released still this year as I was told on the phone with tech support.

I was a little bit surprised myself since 9 came out just last year.

Michael
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Really interesting, can't wait to see what V10 will bring this time ?

Even more improved MIDI editing tools, some GUI improvements, new effects plugins form Sascha ?

I'm pretty sure that the AES in october will give us the answer ^^.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

MMMM, I've never heard about that Magix, also produce such high quality DAW. It's also very expensive, as I see now.

What exacly is the differents between samplitude and sequoia? Since I did a little search and saw at YouTube that the had one title in one name (samplitude/sequoia). Do they both got the same layout/interface look?
And wich one is the most completed (midi and audio)? Seems very interesting.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sequoia has everything that Samplitude has plus some extra features. Most of those features are geared towards post production, editing and mastering. They include the output of DDP filesets, a high-end crossfade editor, a better video engine (including placing of multiple clips in the session), etc...

The midi capabilities are the same, the audio engine is the same, many of the features are the same, they include the same plugins, etc... (like the "analog" suite).

BTW, there was a public preview of Sequoia 10 at the IBC show last week. It is coming heh

--Ben
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
BTW, there was a public preview of Sequoia 10 at the IBC show last week. It is coming heh

--Ben
Yeah, Baby!

Being that it was a public preview, can you share with us what Sequoia v10 is bringing to the table.

I was almost certain I'd be moving from Sequoia to Nuendo 4, but this may change everything. heh

Laser
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

There has been a thread running on the Samp user's board about it. The highlights as reported in that thread and in the German "Keys" magazine are:

- Complete Automation
- Toolbar- & Iconkonzept (new GUI)
- Audio Quantize & Sidechaning
- optimierte MIDI-& Audio-Workflows
- Cleaning & Restoration Suite
- Sampling-Workstation inkl. 4 GB of Sounds
- Hi-End Timestretching & Pitchshifting
- New Mastering Plugin Am | Munition" (new Analog Suite Plugin)

There are certainly more features, but these are some of the big ones. There will be a big announcement at AES in October from what Magix has mentioned in that same thread.... Go see it at the Orange Hill Audio Booth.

--Ben
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think this is the coolest thing about Samplitude:

Samplitude, Sequoia, Sam for Rent

Only $30/month crossgrade pricing with my old PTLE CD (I'm on Mix+ now). Thinking about adding this to my PT rig on another PC (got a nice AMD 64x2 with Hammerfall card for it).
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hi, sorry to hijack, but I just tried the SE version of Samp 9.1.1 and it is all german. I remember when I first tried Samp 8 it was german but there was a tweak to change it all to English - is there a way to do this in Samp 9??

Thanks for any advice!
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

A few more details on Version 10 have been posted in the Samplitude forums...

First of all a correction to my previous post- the Restoration suite is a Sequoia thing. For Samp Pro, you can purchase it at extra cost.

I believe there will be some juggling with names and new versions of Samp coming out- one thing mentioned was a Samplitude Master and Restoration version (which would include the new Restoration suite).

Smart Dithering will be a new feature (to avoid double-dithering 16 bit audio). There is also a new overview mode and enhancements to controller mapping/support. Also, extended timeline (64 bit addressing- runs about 7 days at 44.1kHz.) and RIFF64 support, A second timeline, display MIDI data while recording, a Routing Manager, and enhancements to the MultiBand Compressor.

In Sequoia, there are some new features like Linear Time Code support (on an audio input), enhancements to APP for sync work, and the ability to record Video.

As I said before, all the info should be at Orange Hill Audio's booth at AES coming up... This is a pretty major update to Samplitude and Sequoia with a number of features that were enabled due to the new low-latency engine developed for Ver 9.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search