The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
motif xs concert grand piano vs piano software and hooking it up Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th August 2007
Here for the gear

motif xs concert grand piano vs piano software and hooking it up

hey,

can someone tell me how much better software piano sounds than motif xs' grand piano preset?

synthogy ivory
akoustic piano
steinberg the grand

xs' is much better than logic's that's for sure...but i just want to know how you all feel about me spending the extra money for ivory or akoustic?

i have a macbook pro and apogee ensemble for audio interface (firewire).

i know i need a dedicated hardrive for streaming samples from synthogy ivory...firewire hardrive. how will that work on a laptop since i already have the ensemble using up my firewire port?
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

I borrowed a few piano libraries, ArtVista Virtual Grand, Eastwest Boesendorfer, The Grand 2 and Akoustik Piano and tried them against my Roland Fantom X6 with the stock pianosounds.

I must say that the ArtVista is the best software virtual piano experience of all above mentioned that I've used. And it was pretty easy on the RAM too, about 250mb. The others where huge resourcehogs, like 1-2 gig of RAM usage and took ages to load...at least compared to the Roland synth

If you get the chance, check out ArtVista. You may like it alot.

For me it's not all about the sound quality though, it's about the playability. And that's where the Roland in my case really shines. It's within one single unit, fast loading times and plays really well. The sounds really sticks out in LIVE situations and on recordings, where many large piano libraries wouldn't.

AND since the Motif XS is like 2007 and the Fantom X is 2004 (I think), it wouldn't be surpricing if the Motif sounded better.

Good Luck
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardinen View Post
For me it's not all about the sound quality though, it's about the playability. And that's where the Roland in my case really shines. It's within one single unit, fast loading times and plays really well. The sounds really sticks out in LIVE situations and on recordings, where many large piano libraries wouldn't.
Very true. I was never convinced to get a 40 GB piano (Ivory). I have found the more realistic piano libraries try to be (pedal noise ... etc), the more difficult it is to make them sit in the mix.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
Very true. I was never convinced to get a 40 GB piano (Ivory). I have found the more realistic piano libraries try to be (pedal noise ... etc), the more difficult it is to make them sit in the mix.
Absolutely. There are many late 90's synths that have excellent sounds that by them selves sounds crap but in the mix sounds perfect.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayp View Post
hey,

can someone tell me how much better software piano sounds than motif xs' grand piano preset?

synthogy ivory
akoustic piano
steinberg the grand

xs' is much better than logic's that's for sure...but i just want to know how you all feel about me spending the extra money for ivory or akoustic?

i have a macbook pro and apogee ensemble for audio interface (firewire).

i know i need a dedicated hardrive for streaming samples from synthogy ivory...firewire hardrive. how will that work on a laptop since i already have the ensemble using up my firewire port?
I have the XS and a S90ES. I like the S90ES piano sound better than the XS, but I like 4Front's TruePianos better then anything else out there, and I've tried them all. I just sits in the mix the best out of anything else, but the S90ES is close behind.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

FWIW...Akoustic piano didn't sound as good as my Kurzweil Pc2x in overall tone/playability.

I've not had the chance to use Ivory.

The orginal Gigapiano DOES outdo it...Giga will run at a 128k buffer...responds well...nice resonance-rings forever.

I liked the MotifES's piano better than my Kurz...so...if you take Ivory out of the mix, I can honestly guess just use whatcha got.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search