The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Horrible noise when using PTLE on Laptop? Help!! Audio Interfaces
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Horrible noise when using PTLE on Laptop? Help!!

I've been using PTLE on a Dell Inspirion Laptop with 512mb ram and a 7300 rpm hard drive. I'm doing simple auido editing for an audio book. Occasionally, I get this horrible white noise when I start the transport. It's much louder than the actually audio volume and it's really disturbing. I've turned off my anti-virus software and defragmented the hard drive. Does anyone know what's going on and how to get rid of it?

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

bump
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Are you by any chance running an Mbox?
What version of Pro Tools are you running?
What is the processor that's inside the Inspiron?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Are you by any chance running an Mbox?
What version of Pro Tools are you running?
What is the processor that's inside the Inspiron?
Yes, I'm running an MBOX (first generation) and the Dell has an intel 1.8 ghz processor. Using PT 7.3cs4. BTW, I also made sure that the 'don't interrupt playback with error messages' was unchecked. I also defraged HD. Hmmmm...

It's really disturbing to work like this...very startling noise..
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Could be a grounding issue. I have had the same problem on my old 1st gen Mbox. It would make this odd buzzing sound like a fly. Turns out when I tried plugging into another location it would go away. None of the updates ever fixed it. Went to Firewire and the problem ceased to exist.... Mbox 2 Pro's are real nice.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

this is way beyond a buzzing sound...it's a very loud white noise that happens in a spurt...much louder than the actual audio. It's as if PT is having trouble accessing the audio.
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Do you have the possibility to switch to another USB cable, or better yet try a powered USB hub?
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Do you have the possibility to switch to another USB cable, or better yet try a powered USB hub?
I could switch to another usb cable. I don't have a powered hub. How would this affect getting this loud white noise?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search