The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Astound Sound" Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

"Astound Sound"

I found out about this from some guys who are renting a space from us.

http://www.genaudioinc.com/
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

"(...)provides the most accurate and intense 4D sound localization cue technology(...)"

Yay!
At last someone found a way to have sound travel backwards in time.
No more flipping around tape reels, goodbye reverse reverb algorithms, now everybody can be Steve Vai.
I already hear a new wave of hitech-psychedelia coming.

ok, [/SARCASM]
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

erm...

went to their website, checked out their demo.... and was seriously unimpressed.

yes, i tried both monitors and headphones. nothing special really. just playing around with stereo image and phase.

maybe these guys never heard of holographic audio. the matches moving around your head, now that'll blow your hair back.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah I wasn't too blown away by the demos either, I just wanted to see what people thought before I posted my opinion... I guess they are still in the development stages
Old 10th October 2008
Here for the gear

Astound Sound

Check out the Robin Thicke website. The Astound Sound tracks are way bigger. I think this is cool. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
Old 17th October 2008
Here for the gear

^^^ haha this dude's obviously from GenAudio
Old 17th October 2008
Gear Maniac

lol
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Listen to the demos with headphones.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkbass View Post
Check out the Robin Thicke website. The Astound Sound tracks are way bigger. I think this is cool. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
hmm... way bigger in the same way you used to be able to turn on the "spatializer" thing in windows95. It sounds like strange inverted phase stuff. Three things get messed up here. First, anything on the far outside of the mix gets overemphasized. Second, everything gets skewed left- I assume there's a mod delay/Haas thing of some sort and the left side is leading. Third, overall destruction of focus, tightness and punchiness. The high end is mostly being tweaked and it seems fatiguing after the process is in for a bit.
Old 17th October 2008
Lives for gear

Am I missing something?

I went top the website, prepared myself, expectations mounting - Expensive studio monitors, here we go!

and...

and...

A bunch of stereo sounds whizzing around.

Is that it?
Old 17th October 2008
yup that's it.
the video is nice though.
maybe they're aiming for the video/games market?
Old 18th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
hmm... way bigger in the same way you used to be able to turn on the "spatializer" thing in windows95. It sounds like strange inverted phase stuff. Three things get messed up here. First, anything on the far outside of the mix gets overemphasized. Second, everything gets skewed left- I assume there's a mod delay/Haas thing of some sort and the left side is leading. Third, overall destruction of focus, tightness and punchiness. The high end is mostly being tweaked and it seems fatiguing after the process is in for a bit.
Yeah that's about how I perceived it. Overly hyped high end and leading on left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yup that's it.
the video is nice though.
maybe they're aiming for the video/games market?
Yes real nice vid, and 'twould probably be better aimed at the Video game market.
Old 31st October 2008
Here for the gear

Exclamation New Updated demo...

Hello - Interesting reaction and comments to one of our much older tests we did at Warner dub stage facility...

I uploaded a newer and more recent demo to the front page of the website for people to listen to. The space animation demo was a fold down from a theatrical 5.1 mix with very minimal Astound processing integrated into the 5.1 mix...we did this to test to see if indeed there would be any issues when folding down to the LTRT, and quite shockingly, it maintained the integrity and accuracy of the localization cues that were applied to selected input audio waveforms. This was NOT supposed to be posted, and my marketing department screwed up...Sorry for the confusion, however, I believe you might enjoy the new demo that one of our re-recording engineers created using our software recently.

I am Jerry Mahabub, the inventor of the technology and CEO of the Company. Please feel free to send email to [email protected] if you have any technical questions and one of our software and/or audio engineers will reply ASAP.

Listening through speakers works good, however, through headphones, the localization cues are even better, so I would recommend you try both.

Simply go back to GenAudio and you can check out the new 1 minute demo which will load (it takes about 30 seconds), then a play button will appear. Plug-in your headphones, sit back, close your eyes, relax and feel free to let me know what you think.

Remember, this is not a dummy head recording. All input audio files were mono recordings and processed using our 4D localization cue software. Although similar to dummy head recordings (KEMAR, Aachenhead, etc.) in the audio experirience, we can, using our software, move the postition of the input audio waveforms as they are playing back in real-time and then re-record back into the DAW. It is a workflow that is still being perfected, and coming soon, we will have an RTAS version of the stand-alone application.

I hope you all enjoy the new demo. Thx.

FYI - There is nobody with the alias of FunkyBass that works for my Company, so whoever suspected that that person was from GenAudio, you are mistaken. I am from GenAudio, and why would someone ever care in the first place? As long as the information is based on opinion, then who cares where someone is from. We all judge for ourselves anyway.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
I found out about this from some guys who are renting a space from us.

GenAudio
I heard their demos. I thought the stereo ones sounded better and more natural. Anyone idiot with a phase flip can make stuff sound wide. What is it with the industry....

Why do they wanna make the sound coming from the speaker sound wider that the speaker are apart??? Why not just MOVE the speakers further apart :-)

I think the industry is missing the point. First all the software plug manufs. are ALL modeling the same compressors. Then they try to re-invent the EQs and the Phasers and the Chorus. All stuff that was invented decades ago...

Here's an IDEA - HOW ABOUT SOMETHING NEW - Something the generation of 2100 can try to model. No MORE Fairchilds PLEASE - and NO MORE EQs - we have em all - at least when getting Massenburg Design Works.

Anyway - I went to the site with big expectations. I left the site with big disappointment.
Old 31st October 2008
Here for the gear

Cool Stereo localization imaging

So sorry you are dissapointed with our demo - You are the 1st of over 200 professional audio engineers with such a response. Curious, did you actually listen to the demo on our website, or are you just not a fan of sound localization? Phase flipping has absolutely nothing to do with our technology, however, I am sure you have been exposed to other supposed sound localization cue technologies where phase flipping was the approach. It's unfortunate for them, because they do have issues with their final audio output being out of phase. Not in our case. In fact, from a mastering perspective, our masters when compared to the original stereo masters of the Robin Thicke album were 2 db lower, sounded louder, and with much more dynamic range - The big problem with mastering today is everyone wants things super loud, and insofar as doing such, the audio output waveform becomes a "brickwall". Gavin Lurssen did our mastering and he too was very impressed with our software and our technology.

In addition to stereo widening, we also have incredible elevation cues (not something you can get by simply seperating the stereo speakers a larger distance apart from each other, as well as distance cue computation using a unique and patented inverse ray tracing algorithm. The combination of said technologies, both localization and room simulation, yields a tremendously intensive 4D audio experience. I am not sure if perhaps you have an issue with your audio output setup, however, I have tested the demo online and it sounds very good.

Hopefully this helps to shed some light on what we do versus your thoughts about phase inversion among other "nauseating" techniques that were used by Companies like SRS, QSound, Wavearts, among others. Not our technology by any sense of the word.

Perhaps you should formulate a more serious set of actual questions, rather than stating incorrect opinions, and then you may educate yourself with what we do that is radically different then the rest of the industry.

Just let me know...I would be more then delighted to answer any question you may have ranging from mix engineers techniques that we use to computational physics based modeliing of the human brain and the repsonse characteristics of said modeling that took me over 16 years of R&D to determine which formulates the underlying basis of our technology.

And that goes for anyone else. We stand behind our product, and so does many other professional audio engineers around the world. I believe that they too have "good ears" and phase flipping is not something that has ever come out of anyones mouth to me before. Like I said, perhaps you have an issue with the way you are outputting audio...My recommendation would be to playback through core audio (not an external Apogee running through your DAW and out to the monitors). Just plug some headphones into your laptop and give it a listen. I believe you have not yet truly heard what this technology is capable of doing, and when you do, perhaps your thoughts remain the same, perhaps they don't. Either way, I am always open ears to hear everyone's perspective and lead my company and development team to constantly improve the technology and find ways of increasing productivity with respect to workflow integration.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astound View Post
Perhaps you should formulate a more serious set of actual questions, rather than stating incorrect opinions
I think you should stop wise talking here.

1) NO ONE can actually STATE an incorrect opinion - Hence OPINION... - an opinion is NEVER incorrect - it is a matter of perspective. Funny that you dont even know that after studying the human brain for 16 years

Anyway, to please your aggressive attitude - I am VERY familiar with psycho acoustics. VERY. So I do NOT sit down and listen to your demos on an iMac with built in speakers - like a next door schmuck. I used my Mac Book Pro with a pair of Sennheiser HD600. Are you happy now. Can you hear me knocking?

I still was the OPINION that the stereo mix was sounding MORE natural. And I thought that the brass section on the featured dude sounded really UNNATURAL when your processing was playing.

But hey, some people think they have surround sound when pressing the Surround button on their stereo - gloating about - and dont even realize that they only got two speakers.

I dont doubt that you have done your research and all and I really RESPECT that. REALLY. But you should let people have their opinions - especially when when on a forum without getting into discussions when people dont find what you do as good as you might have hoped.

With being said - I wish you the best of luck... selling your stuff. Although, luck surely has NOTHING to do with it
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
NO ONE can actually STATE an incorrect opinion - Hence OPINION... - an opinion is NEVER incorrect - it is a matter of perspective.
I won't speak for Jerry, but I'm relatively sure that your comment which he called "opinion" was in reference to your attempt to explain how his technology works, NOT in reference to your opinion of the audio itself, which, yes, you're entitled to. 16 years of research on his part and you call it phase flipping? I'd be pissed. For the record, I don't believe he was being aggressive.

Whether or not you think it's a "natural" sound, if you've used HD600s, as I have, then you'll realize the potential of this technology. It may or may not be best used to enhance commercial albums, but it certainly has the ability to expand to soundscape. I've heard it applied to dialogue - storytelling - and it fools the brain 100% into believing that you're sharing a room with the speaker. This was using headphones. Speakers offer a different result.
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Haha! When that voice came in I had to turn my head to see nobody was there heh
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Haha! When that voice came in I had to turn my head to see nobody was there heh
Don't feel bad - I did the exact same thing! I watched three other people do it as well...
Old 31st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I won't speak for Jerry, but I'm relatively sure that your comment which he called "opinion" was in reference to your attempt to explain how his technology works, NOT in reference to your opinion of the audio itself, which, yes, you're entitled to. 16 years of research on his part and you call it phase flipping? I'd be pissed. For the record, I don't believe he was being aggressive.

Whether or not you think it's a "natural" sound, if you've used HD600s, as I have, then you'll realize the potential of this technology. It may or may not be best used to enhance commercial albums, but it certainly has the ability to expand to soundscape. I've heard it applied to dialogue - storytelling - and it fools the brain 100% into believing that you're sharing a room with the speaker. This was using headphones. Speakers offer a different result.
Just for the record, too.. I NEVER stated that a fool with a phase switch could achieve what Astound has. I said "Any fool with a phase switch can make stuff sound wide"

I think it is great that people research these things. But in all honesty, THIS topic is what occupies ALL engineers making great mixes. And dont forget we ALL cook with the same ingredients = FREQUENCIES and WAVES.
Old 1st November 2008
Lives for gear

I am confused.

Is this a plug-in?

- c
Old 2nd November 2008
Here for the gear

Thumbs up Software based...

There are currently a few different ways to interact with our software.

1) A set of AU plug-ins

We initially ported the stand-alone code for two of our localization cue applications to AU plug-ins for testing of the backend DSP processing. Apple provides something called AU Lab, which allows developers, while working within the XCODE IDE, to easily create AU plug-ins from stand-alone code. We are currently using the plug-ins in Logic, however, for obvious reasons, we do not mix in Logic. The current workflow is using a MacBook Pro, as a "stand-alone" processor, by setting up an input track in logic, and then from the DAW, we feed through a Weiss via firewire, the audio output from the DAW into Logic, where, in real-time, one can process the audio track using one of the two plug-ins, and re-record back into the DAW the localized processed output audio (e.g. setting up an insert point in ProTools). Of course, one must measure the delay and compensate for said delay such that when playing back the mix bus, the current audio file being processed is in sync. Typical thing to do for outboard gear.

2) There are two AU plug-ins, of which, we are currently porting the code from AU to RTAS and TDM (RTAS first as 56K requires additional DSP optimization considerations). The first, is a stereo in stereo out localization processor for both widening and elevating the stereo image with both negative and positive elevation. The second, is a mono in stereo out plug-in for drawing "4D" paths (3 dimensions of space over time), with only two channel audio - And combined together in a mix using each plug-in for different tracks in the mix session provides a realistic and intensely expanded soundscape with pinpoint accurate localization of selected sound sources moving around your head up and down, right to left, front to back, and with distance cue computation using a specialized ray tracing algorithm we have patented as well, alongside the localization processing techniques.

3) The AstoundSound Pro application. This is a stand-alone version of the mono-in stereo out plug-in. It uses very high resolution FIR filters, with a filter set on the unit sphere of over 14,000 filters as a representation of the left and right HRTF. Our filters are the best, the most accurate, and no one to date has been able to achieve this level of resolution when panning in azimuth or elevation. The problem with this, is that the filters are indeed FIR, unlike their AU sister plug-ins, which use an IIR implementation, yielding sample rate independence with a highly specialized and unique interpolation algorithm we have developed. So, in a nutshell, if you are mixing a session that is 44.1 (any word length), you can use the stand alone app with multiple modes to actually draw paths and maniupulate the path "curve" in real-time while the audio is playing back to achieve the pecise desired localization cue result. The plug-in, however, allows the mix engineer to proces any sample rate as the analogous IIR filter set is sample rate indpendent as mentioned above. You can apply the 44.1/24 FIR filters to a 48 session as the nyquist difference is so small, the intellogibility of the localization cue result is very minimal. However, for 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192 sessions, the difference between Nyquist is so much larger when compared to 44.1, it does not work so well, so one must use the AU plug-in for higher sample rate mix sessions.

We should have the beta versions of the RTAS and TDM plug-ins available by the first quarter 2009, and we do offer an extensive training program with one of our mix engineers or field service support staff reps. If you are seriously interseted in checking out our software down the road, please go to our website, GenAudio, and fill out the contact form and you will be added to an update email list where you can keep track of our progress with the professional audio software apps and plug-ins.

I hope this answered your question. Sorry if I was a bit technical. I have a background in Acoustic Physics and Business, so I tend to confuse the business people with technology, and the technology peple with business. And coming from a hardcore physics background, I do my best to keep from busting out the partial differential euqations and numerical computational physics based analysis.

FYI - I can speak normal english pretty good as well also, just when I am faced with a technical type of question, and being the inventor of the technology and principal research scientist for many years, I always enjoy switching from the business side (where I have been stuck for the past 6 years running the company and dealing with sub-cro magnon finance type mentalities), and bring out a touch of my roots as a scientist.
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

Cool!

I say this respectfully:

Hire a marketing person.

Your skills are obviously in the science department. There's nothing wrong with this. We all have different strengths. You should focus on being the mad scientist inventor in the lab and find someone who is good with language, marketing, design, and public/media relations to bring the product to the people.

It is very rare that scientific genius and social genius converge in one person.

- c
Old 4th November 2008
Here for the gear

Absolutely!!!

I could not agree with you more. I actually have an entire marketing firm that I hired on, GMR Entertainment (a division of Omnicom), and they handle all of our marketing from web based portal creation to marketing management.

I too have a very strong background in business, alongside my scientific background. It is an interesting and rare combination - That I fully agree with you on! :-)

I have been running the Company for the past 6 years, and have hired on an entire development team (both software and R&D), and they handle all of the "mad scientist" stuff.

I negotiate all of our license deals and concentrate on the positive forward direction of the Company, alongside delegating downstream to my management team the overall business and technical strategy.

It is more than a full-time job, in fact, I barely sleep (especially since we are 7 days from international product launch with our digital distribution partner, Digital River - for our consumer based product offering, called "The AstoundStereo Expander"). We have been gearing up for this product launch for almost 2 years, and to be so close is almost surreal to me.

Much appreciated your thougts, however, the DAZE of me being the mad scientist ended 6 years ago. Now, I primarily write board resolutions, handle corporate and legal matters, negotiate licenses, and ensure that my team is moving forward in accordance with the direction as set forth by the board of directors. In a nutshell, I feel more like an attorney every morning I wake up...Although I do miss the old days of being a "mad scientist", I have positioned this Company for success with intensive strategic planning and making sure our books and records are accurate and up to date.

Looking forward to our continued correspondence and don't forget to go to our website and fill out the form so we can get you on the mailing list for updates on our product offerings and projects we are working on that will release in the near term. And by the way, I absolutely loved talking tech talk with you. I never get a chance to do that anymore, and being a CEO with a strong technology background as well - Let's just say I felt like a child in a candy store again! Every once in a while, even the CEO gets to have a little fun, eh? :-)

Back to reviewing legal stuff.
Old 6th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could not agree with you more. I actually have an entire marketing firm that I hired on, GMR Entertainment (a division of Omnicom), and they handle all of our marketing from web based portal creation to marketing management.

I too have a very strong background in business, alongside my scientific background. It is an interesting and rare combination - That I fully agree with you on! :-)

I have been running the Company for the past 6 years, and have hired on an entire development team (both software and R&D), and they handle all of the "mad scientist" stuff.

I negotiate all of our license deals and concentrate on the positive forward direction of the Company, alongside delegating downstream to my management team the overall business and technical strategy.

It is more than a full-time job, in fact, I barely sleep (especially since we are 7 days from international product launch with our digital distribution partner, Digital River - for our consumer based product offering, called "The AstoundStereo Expander"). We have been gearing up for this product launch for almost 2 years, and to be so close is almost surreal to me.

Much appreciated your thougts, however, the DAZE of me being the mad scientist ended 6 years ago. Now, I primarily write board resolutions, handle corporate and legal matters, negotiate licenses, and ensure that my team is moving forward in accordance with the direction as set forth by the board of directors. In a nutshell, I feel more like an attorney every morning I wake up...Although I do miss the old days of being a "mad scientist", I have positioned this Company for success with intensive strategic planning and making sure our books and records are accurate and up to date.

Looking forward to our continued correspondence and don't forget to go to our website and fill out the form so we can get you on the mailing list for updates on our product offerings and projects we are working on that will release in the near term. And by the way, I absolutely loved talking tech talk with you. I never get a chance to do that anymore, and being a CEO with a strong technology background as well - Let's just say I felt like a child in a candy store again! Every once in a while, even the CEO gets to have a little fun, eh? :-)

Back to reviewing legal stuff.
Well said.
Old 26th February 2009
LSP
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are currently a few different ways to interact with our software.

1) A set of AU plug-ins

We initially ported the stand-alone code for two of our localization cue applications to AU plug-ins for testing of the backend DSP processing. Apple provides something called AU Lab, which allows developers, while working within the XCODE IDE, to easily create AU plug-ins from stand-alone code. We are currently using the plug-ins in Logic, however, for obvious reasons, we do not mix in Logic. The current workflow is using a MacBook Pro, as a "stand-alone" processor, by setting up an input track in logic, and then from the DAW, we feed through a Weiss via firewire, the audio output from the DAW into Logic, where, in real-time, one can process the audio track using one of the two plug-ins, and re-record back into the DAW the localized processed output audio (e.g. setting up an insert point in ProTools). Of course, one must measure the delay and compensate for said delay such that when playing back the mix bus, the current audio file being processed is in sync. Typical thing to do for outboard gear.

2) There are two AU plug-ins, of which, we are currently porting the code from AU to RTAS and TDM (RTAS first as 56K requires additional DSP optimization considerations). The first, is a stereo in stereo out localization processor for both widening and elevating the stereo image with both negative and positive elevation. The second, is a mono in stereo out plug-in for drawing "4D" paths (3 dimensions of space over time), with only two channel audio - And combined together in a mix using each plug-in for different tracks in the mix session provides a realistic and intensely expanded soundscape with pinpoint accurate localization of selected sound sources moving around your head up and down, right to left, front to back, and with distance cue computation using a specialized ray tracing algorithm we have patented as well, alongside the localization processing techniques.

3) The AstoundSound Pro application. This is a stand-alone version of the mono-in stereo out plug-in. It uses very high resolution FIR filters, with a filter set on the unit sphere of over 14,000 filters as a representation of the left and right HRTF. Our filters are the best, the most accurate, and no one to date has been able to achieve this level of resolution when panning in azimuth or elevation. The problem with this, is that the filters are indeed FIR, unlike their AU sister plug-ins, which use an IIR implementation, yielding sample rate independence with a highly specialized and unique interpolation algorithm we have developed. So, in a nutshell, if you are mixing a session that is 44.1 (any word length), you can use the stand alone app with multiple modes to actually draw paths and maniupulate the path "curve" in real-time while the audio is playing back to achieve the pecise desired localization cue result. The plug-in, however, allows the mix engineer to proces any sample rate as the analogous IIR filter set is sample rate indpendent as mentioned above. You can apply the 44.1/24 FIR filters to a 48 session as the nyquist difference is so small, the intellogibility of the localization cue result is very minimal. However, for 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192 sessions, the difference between Nyquist is so much larger when compared to 44.1, it does not work so well, so one must use the AU plug-in for higher sample rate mix sessions.

We should have the beta versions of the RTAS and TDM plug-ins available by the first quarter 2009, and we do offer an extensive training program with one of our mix engineers or field service support staff reps. If you are seriously interseted in checking out our software down the road, please go to our website, GenAudio, and fill out the contact form and you will be added to an update email list where you can keep track of our progress with the professional audio software apps and plug-ins.

I hope this answered your question. Sorry if I was a bit technical. I have a background in Acoustic Physics and Business, so I tend to confuse the business people with technology, and the technology peple with business. And coming from a hardcore physics background, I do my best to keep from busting out the partial differential euqations and numerical computational physics based analysis.

FYI - I can speak normal english pretty good as well also, just when I am faced with a technical type of question, and being the inventor of the technology and principal research scientist for many years, I always enjoy switching from the business side (where I have been stuck for the past 6 years running the company and dealing with sub-cro magnon finance type mentalities), and bring out a touch of my roots as a scientist.
Does anyone know if this is available yet as standard plug in for mixing within a daw? I use a pc and Cubase 4.
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Does anyone know if this is available yet as standard plug in for mixing within a daw? I use a pc and Cubase 4.
Well, AudioUnit IS a standard plug in format. But only on Mac, so that doesn't help you of course...
Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

hope this "GEN" company is in no way related to Genwave

Old 26th February 2009
Lives for gear

I'm curious to check out the upcoming ASound Pro RTAS PlugIn.

Anything on the price yet ?

G
Old 18th March 2009
Here for the gear

Availability & Pricing

Hi all,

We thank you for your continued interest in AstoundSound audio software products. GenAudio is currently developing a plug-in for DAWs that will enable stereo expansion with additional controls that are appropriate for mixing applications of your tracks. This plug-in is anticipated to be available for sale by the end of Q2. Pricing is unavailable at this time.

Best regards,
Jim M.
GenAudio, Inc.
Support Services Manager

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search