The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Astound Sound" Modular Synthesizers
Old 13th November 2009
Here for the gear

Useless product

From my research on this company I can't help but question the true motives of this company's leadership. The reviews that you guys have posted about the poor sound quality reinforces my opinion about this company.

The goal of this company is not to create a revolution in sound technology but to make a select few rich. They are trying to lure people who know little about sound technology into investing in the company with the promise of making it rich. The only people that are going to get rich are the executives at the top. This is a kin to a pyramid scheme but legaltutt. It is truly sad...

From another perspective:
The downgrade in sound quality evident by the transition from CDs to MP3s is a signal that the every day person does not have a discerning ear for high quality music. So why would you expect people to fork out the extra money for this product?

This company has the making of a failure written all over it.

dfegadGenAudio
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

You know NOTHING about the motives of GenAudio. The above post is the proof. No, I have attachment to GenAudio, but unlike you I DO know the company well enough to realize this. The product may flop, or it may be a smash hit, but a helluva lot of hard work has gone into its development. Stop trying to spread rumors.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Wait, did I miss something?!

Tony, you have an extra bag of popcorn?

I just checked out the demo and wasn't impressed at first. But listening again with headphones? Different story all together.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
Wait, did I miss something?!

Tony, you have an extra bag of popcorn?

I just checked out the demo and wasn't impressed at first. But listening again with headphones? Different story all together.
The general opinion is that with speakers the affect is less noticeable, but with headphones it's very effective. That's what you heard so you're not missing anything.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

I missed this the first time around. That is quite a website! They have lots of board of directors members, management and corporate officers, and a special area for investors. The latest news is from early June. Did they fold?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
The general opinion is that with speakers the affect is less noticeable, but with headphones it's very effective. That's what you heard so you're not missing anything.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My "did I miss something" comment was in reference to the post by Unastounded.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. My "did I miss something" comment was in reference to the post by Unastounded.
I knew that. I was being sort of a smart ass to Unastounded, but my point was that you were hearing it the same way most people are hearing it.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I knew that. I was being sort of a smart ass to Unastounded, but my point was that you were hearing it the same way most people are hearing it.

Ahhh, gotcha. Damn smart asses! heh
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Speak of the devil... Or think about the devil. I actually emailed them yesterday to hear what's going on with the plug-in development. I'll be very curious to try what they have to offer when it's available.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

This is interesting but its annoying that the RTAS plugin is geared for the professional 'Maestro' and Logic and Cubase users are home recordists who will have the 'protege' plugin, I presume it doesn't have the full features. Why do that?...
Old 12th January 2010
Here for the gear

Astound: Can you please post a link to your AU trial? I find the site (and your myspace page) to be very unhelpful. I keep finding myself stuck at the free system plugin thingy page, which I don't need or want to try. Please post a link that goes straight to the to AU download page.

Thanks
Old 9th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Are You Out There, Jerry?

Just thought i'd chime in in the hope that Jerry from Astound is still following this thread.

Just wanted to say to Jerry if you are out there, I love your passion and enthusiasm and have a massive respect for what you have achieved so far with your company both technically and corporately. I don't concur with any of the cynical views and nay-saying that has been posted on this thread and instead believe that you truely are an inspired and hardworking guy who just loves what he is doing.

I recently discovered Astound - the demo's that is ... Public Enemy, Thicke, the newspaper etc.. and have to say that I am very impressed with the way the technology preserves the integrity of the audio. I think that applying such processing over whole mixes is always going to compromise the original mix in some way, be it balance, tone, center etc.. but when used selectivley in a multitrack context I am sure it would kick some serious ass.

Now I must confess that I am quite into my spacial processing (actually I am into anything that is going make for better and more compelling mixes) and have several of the old "classics" including the Hughes Ak-100 (legendry), the Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator , the Roland RSS-10, the Edison + Ultrafex II (forgive me ), the TC1210 (brilliant for Stereo from mono) and have used several others that I don't own (eg EMI Spreader (Awesome), Portico SFE, QSound -also very impressive)... and I have to say that based on what I have heard from the demos, Astound is seriously up there with best - especially on headphones and especially in terms of sonics. I love the fact that it does not sound in any way phasey.

All the best to you and will be eagerly awaiting future developments with your products and technology.

Cheers,
Gavin Goldberg
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav G View Post
Just thought i'd chime in in the hope that Jerry from Astound is still following this thread.

Just wanted to say to Jerry if you are out there, I love your passion and enthusiasm
Therein lies the issue -- some people are having difficulty drawing the conclusion that your 2nd sentence is true when we have a known (and, unfortunately, unsatisfactory) answer to the 1st. The thread is dead, Zed!
Old 21st November 2010
Here for the gear

uses of the Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator?

ey Gavin, i see you mentioned this peice of equipment, now im new to the forum and had searched this thread via google looking for someone to ask about this rackmount.

the words, "The purchase of a Carver C-9 Gives an implied license only to use the apparatus to play sound recordings, but not to make sound recordings."

my question is, can i record the image processing that exits this thing? i only see RCA and no XLR so im assuming its not intended for pro usage. and if so, HOW DOES IT SOUND ? ? ? :O

just a question, let me know what you think,

peace people, 1Love
Attached Thumbnails
"Astound Sound"-carver-backside.jpg  
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Addict

I have completely lost my interest in this company. I saw them and the product at a demo a year ago and was fascinated by the technology and wanted to use it in my post studio in addition to my 5.1 mixing. I have called everyone on the brochures, business card, #'s off the website and emailed them as well to see how I can carry their product , did get in voice contact with someone who told me to email the main audio tech guy and still no answer. Spent 3-5 months doing this. Finally I just gave up as a lost cause.
I figured if a company is interested in reaching prospective clients, they can at the latest get back to them in a week.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Addict

i am a little confused at how this his different from

Roland rss
Hughes
Srs
Phase tricks
Ms / waves stereo expander

and on and on ?

i have so many vst plugins that widen , so many boxes and i wonder quite how this is different in the end.

I like the idea of holophonic sound and i like the idea of music that sounds like its around you but is this radically different ?

a vst plugin would be good aswell as au.
Old 6th December 2011
Lives for gear

I recently met up with Jerry here in San Fran.

He and his team of developers had just completed a new phase of the Astound technology. Jerry was very personable and extremely enthusiastic, even though it was apparent that he and his small team had maybe ten hours rest in a three day blitz of code writing.

Anyway, Jerry handed me the headphones and I experienced surround in a way I had never heard before. The technology may have been lackluster back in 2008 (I had not heard of it until recently) but it is quite impressive in its latest incarnation.

I am not with the company nor am I a big fan of surround but it seems that Jerry has hit the nail on the head. For movies and gaming Astound should be a great fit. For pure music listening, I think time will tell. I'm not completely sold on surround for regular everyday listening but to enhance visual stimulation Astound is spot on.

Just one mans take.

- Cheers
Old 6th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
"(...)provides the most accurate and intense 4D sound localization cue technology(...)"

Yay!
At last someone found a way to have sound travel backwards in time.
No more flipping around tape reels, goodbye reverse reverb algorithms, now everybody can be Steve Vai.
I already hear a new wave of hitech-psychedelia coming.

ok, [/SARCASM]
Apparently it's "4D" like an iPhone 4G was "4G."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
hmm... way bigger in the same way you used to be able to turn on the "spatializer" thing in windows95. It sounds like strange inverted phase stuff. Three things get messed up here. First, anything on the far outside of the mix gets overemphasized. Second, everything gets skewed left- I assume there's a mod delay/Haas thing of some sort and the left side is leading. Third, overall destruction of focus, tightness and punchiness. The high end is mostly being tweaked and it seems fatiguing after the process is in for a bit.
That's about how it struck me, listening to their A/B video (posted on Vimeo 7 months ago) they link to from their site. At least it didn't immediately make me feel like my head was going to implode. That's nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search