The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Octo core makes sense now? Would steinberg stuff dig it?
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Does Octo core makes sense now? Would steinberg stuff dig it?

SO I got to point of no return and I need to build a new system.
Does 2 x Q6600 makes sense right now? I don't know much about building systems
but I am researching what to do.
The thing is I am pretty sure I want to build a system not to worry about upgrades for a while.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

depends

There has been a lot of discussion about this in the Nuendo forum but I will try to summarize.

The issue with almost any Native DAW and eight core (or more) is an issue of scalability. As was discovered in the infamous Nuendo thread, Steinberg do not manage 8 cores well as latencies/buffer size decrease. In fact it was discovered that once latencies got to about 128 samples an 8 core machine was about equal to a 4 core machine in terms usable CPU power.

This is not really an issue when mixing, but for tracking purposes it is a big PITA. This problem is intesified as the number of simulataneous inputs and outputs increases. In the end Steinberg admitted that they had an issue with managin 8 cores which they would work towards fixing. If memory serves I beleive they were estimating a fix right about now.

For mixing, it is a whole different ballgame. To maximize CPU power I mix at maximum latency sizes (1024 samples). Eight CPU's pretty much scale as they should and you can get roughly twice the amount of computing power out of an Octocore rig over an Quad rig. I see a value in that. There does appear to be one Native which apparently does scale properly and that is Reaper. I haven't actually seen any Benchmarks, but it is discussed breifly in the 'Nuendo thread'.

I currently have a Dual-Dual core Rig and I am considering a Dual Quad soon. My plan is to use Reaper for tracking purposes and then use Cubase for mixing.

Sorry for the long winded answer but I hope that helps, cheers!

P.S. here is the link to the Nuendo thread I was talking about;

nuendo.com .::. View topic - Multiprocessing issue with dual quadcore
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

HI,
heres the short of it

8 cores no
4 cores yes

Steiny say a fix in 3rd-4th quarter.

Scott
ADK
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

SO I think ....

So I think I will go Octo. I will go Octo Now so I won't go there in four months...
I will get over it and do it all now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search