The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digi 003 vs Digi 003R + Mackie MCU Audio Interfaces
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Digi 003 vs Digi 003R + Mackie MCU

Greetings,
Looking for anyone with pro/con opinions about getting either the
Digi 003 or the Digi 003 Rack with the Mackie Control unit. I've got some older Digi hardware I can trade in to move up a bit. The 003Rack + Mackie combo is almost $300 more than just the 003, but gives more flexability for using with say Logic. I do mostly Post Editing and VI instruments and was even considering an Mbox2 Pro + Mackie..
Any thoughts on the combos would be appreciated.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

i would love an educated opinion on this too. :-)
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Bump Bump
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrc2250 View Post
Greetings,
Looking for anyone with pro/con opinions about getting either the
Digi 003 or the Digi 003 Rack with the Mackie Control unit. I've got some older Digi hardware I can trade in to move up a bit. The 003Rack + Mackie combo is almost $300 more than just the 003, but gives more flexability for using with say Logic. I do mostly Post Editing and VI instruments and was even considering an Mbox2 Pro + Mackie..
Any thoughts on the combos would be appreciated.
Hmmm, i wonder how well the 003 can be used as a standalone controller for logic? I'm sure it can.. and it will also be a much better controller for Pro Tools. Unless the 003 is nowhere near the league of a MCU for controllering logic, i would say its a no brainer!
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
Hmmm, i wonder how well the 003 can be used as a standalone controller for logic? I'm sure it can.. and it will also be a much better controller for Pro Tools. Unless the 003 is nowhere near the league of a MCU for controllering logic, i would say its a no brainer!
Unlike the Digi 002 which does not work as a controller for Logic (you can use all inputs and outputs, but not the faders, or the knobs), the Digi 003 has a MIDI mode which lets you control other DAW software and external MIDI devices. See Digidesign | Support | 003 Firmware Update for MIDI Mode for the gorey details.

Cheers,
++aldo
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
I was advised not to get the 003 controller/interface because if there's a problem, your enture system is down. The MCU HUI mode is as good as the 003 controller, and comes with Logic support built in.
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Yes I'm looking at both also

Seems with you Mackie control you plug and play with no firewire and just usb and the Digi 003 is noted for being buggy and too many %$^&$&$&^$
I think Im going to wait for a firewire Mackie if it comes soon. Calling factory to see as Its hard call, yea?
Old 27th August 2007
Here for the gear

Seems with you Mackie control you plug and play with no firewire and just usb and the Digi 003 is noted for being buggy and too many %$^&$&$&^$

What kind of problems are 003 users encountering?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
The experience I had with it with was that it was close to impossible to even launch Logic!

On the other hand, I've heard people having better experiences.
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bryson View Post
I think Im going to wait for a firewire Mackie if it comes soon. Calling factory to see as Its hard call, yea?
What would be the benefit of firewire over the new USB MCU?

Good thread.

Been looking at the 003r and MCU combo and saving up.

If I'm using that pair with outboard preamps, what will I do about monitoring? Do I need to buy a Big Nob? I'd like to limit the mackie products in my studio to one (onyx 1640) at all times just so that I can feel pro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search