The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
HP core 2 duo laptop overloading CPU!! Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

HP core 2 duo laptop overloading CPU!!

I just got myself a new Hp nx9420 laptop, core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gigs of ram. This is a really nice notebook, good build quality, 17' screen, TI firewire chip, etc. Seems perfect for music. Im using nuendo 3.2, but keep on overloading the cpu with only a few vst instrumetns san plugs. Even when the music is stopped the cpu meter is sitting at abou 30 -40%!! I cant work out the problem, have changed various settings but cannot figure it out. Im using the notebook sound drivers at the moment as im still waiting for my presonus firebox. could this be the problem??
If anyone has this notebook or is using nuendo please give some advice.
Old 18th August 2007
I presume you're only running the necessary software applications -- but how many services are running in background?

A heavily optimized Windows machine might have as few as 10-20 services (or even less) -- but it's not at all uncommon for machines from big vendors to have so many mini-programs, systray ads, etc, running as services that modest machines are barely crawling when they're brand new. Recently, I've seen machines with 60-70 largely unnecessary services running after startup.

Add to that the vampiric but often ineffective anti-virus software that may be running in background and your machine can be seriously hobbled.

You can get info on optimizing XP at Tweaks.com - (the tweakXP folks) and MusicXP.net - Tuning Windows XP for Audio/Music Applications
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Im kinda on the same boat as you. I switched from a single core centrino laptop that was an iron workhorse to a much much faster dual core system and now I cant even play my old projects without it crashing.

In my case the dual core system has nothing on it but music stuff, hardly any processes running and it just isnt performing like my laptop thats slower, has tons of crap on it and 2/3 more processes running in the background.

I've never used Nuendo so this may be a stupid question to you but are you sure it supports multiple proc's? Have you watched the task manager while you are using it? Is it slamming one core and leaving the other untouched?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Addict

Have you switched to Background Services in your advanced performance options?

Always check the task manager for CPU use. Nuendo and Cubases CPU meter is kind of inaccurate. Whenever I start my Cubase 4 the CPU meter jumps up and down before I load any project and sometimes in between.

And yes tweak your machine with the tips from MusikXP or BlackViper.

Michael
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

I'll have a look at the Xp teaks and report back. Thanks!
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

I've never used Nuendo so this may be a stupid question to you but are you sure it supports multiple proc's? Have you watched the task manager while you are using it? Is it slamming one core and leaving the other untouched?[/quote]

Nuendo definitly supports multiple cores. I have watched the task manager, and it reports the same cpu usage as the nuendo performance meter.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've found that HPs work great if you follow the procedure of totally formatting the hard drive to get rid of everything HP had on there...then install a fresh retail version of Windows....then reload all your drivers from the manufacturers (not all the outdated drivers that HP seems to keep around). Then install your apps.

There is just too too much junk on an HP out of the box. And it's next to impossible to figure out what part of the sludge is slowing the system down. The above procedures take care of all that.
Old 18th August 2007
I'm a cheapskate. There's no way I'm going out and buying a whole new OS when there's already a perfectly decent one buried on that drive.

One of XP's inarguable inelegances is system maintenance and optimization. But it's not that bad.

Honest to gosh, a lot of times you can clear out your "start-up folder," go into the services tab in MSConfig, click the hide Microsoft services, and then unclick everything left over -- unless you recognize something you know you need. And THEN you can further optimize using the tweaks at the sites cited above and trim out some of the MS services that can either be disabled or set to manual (instead of Audo).

You know, if that knocks out your wi-fi start looking for something that looks like wi fi or wireless and try turning that service back on. (DO avoid the "diagnostic startup" option on MsConfig, though. Maybe it was some weird glitch but when I tried it out of absent minded curiosity, it ditched all my current settings completely, even though I tried to "back out" -- once it was clicked I was hosed, as far as I could tell. Normally, I would experiment with it until I knew exactly how it worked but this time I was in the middle of things and I needed to get back to work ASAP... it took me more than a couple minutes to rebuild my entire MSConfig services profile. (I'd done a fair bit of optimization and tinkering since I sometimes run this box as a SQLServer for dev and testing purposes. So there's a lot more extra crap on it that the average stripped down machine.)
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

I have followed all the tweaks from the xp music site. The machine definitly seems to be running better, no clicks and pops anymore, but the cpu meter is still sitting very high!! Strange. I will have a look at refining more things.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

HI,
install speed switch.
your cpu is being throttled down.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Is speed switch a windows application?? Where can i find it?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Im using the notebook sound drivers at the moment as im still waiting for my presonus firebox. could this be the problem??
It probably IS your problem. Please report back once the new audio card + drivers are installed. Onboard sound card + directx / multimedia drivers are prone to give you all kinds of trouble.

Did you switch to the performance "optimizer" to background services?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Is speed switch a windows application?? Where can i find it?
google is your friend

while using onboard audio is a very bad idea i seriously doubt its causing the cpu load.

SpeedswitchXP

all laptops should have this installed if using professionally

Scott
ADK
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for the help everyone. Will check out speed switch and try to get the firebox soon. Will report when all is done. heh
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

The speedswitch application has certainly helped!! thanks!
I still have 67 things running when i open the task manager. How do i know which i can shut down??
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

soma..
dunno where you got this laptop.
sounds to me that someones been useing it before you got it possibly. ???
if all those tasks are active and useing resources. are they ??
how many are active ??
its difficult without being there.
sumpin weird is up it sounds like.
get a pc tech to chek it out.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Holy crap! Soma that is a ton of processes dog!

download this file MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

then run it and save a log file and copy everything out of the log file and post it here. That will let us see all the **** thats running on your computer and we can help direct you on what you can disable from the start up and services.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search