The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
upgrade computer, downgrade acid pro performance?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

upgrade computer, downgrade acid pro performance?

I have been running acid 6d on my laptop for a long time now and I have had no issues with plug ins. I can run endless tracks with 5 or 6 Waves plug ins each and I have no problems. My laptop is a 2.0Ghz centrino with 2GB of RAM. I recently built a desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHZ) with 2GB of faster RAM and I cant even get 4 tracks to play simultaneously with the same plug ins. I thought it was an issue of the plug ins slamming one core so I replaced the dual proc with an Athlon 64 4000 single core 2.6Ghz proc overclocked to 3Ghz and no help...

Im using the same Lexicon Lambda with the same driver as I used on my slower older laptop...

Any ideas?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

You might try stopping unused apps and services running on your machine. If the athlon 64 X2 is running on XP home, you might upgrade to an OS that actual runs in 64 bit, and not just 32 bit. You might also be experiencing performance issues where your OS is 64 bit and your plugins are 32 bit. But only having the computer specs with no reference to OS and OS version, doesn't leave me much to go on. </assuming>
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

This machin is has hardly anything running on it. The only running processes (about 15 or so) are just enough to make everything run.

Im running XP Pro 32 bit just as my laptop that has no problems is... There are no 64 bit drivers for my Lexicon Lambda so I cant run x64
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Think I fixed it. Looks like it was just an issue with my OpenGL settings for my vid card. I bumped it from standard to Optimal performance and it seems to have resolved the problem.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well, windows doesn't show all running applications in the task manager. There's a number of services running in the background. Most of which you're probably not using at all. But they're still running, using up memory and cpu cycles. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (or similar). I run linux as my primary OS, and don't have access to windows at the moment as I'm in California this week, but live in Texas. Yes, my laptop only has linux on it. There's also ways for running applications to hide themselves from the windows task manager. Windows might say only 15, but you could literally have hundreds of apps running.

You wouldn't be able to run 64 bit apps/drivers on a 32 bit OS anyway. At least not easily. But it looks like fixing your video optimizations fixed your performance woes, so it doesn't matter much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search