The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Consoles emulation: UAD Neve 88RS vs Waves SSL 4000 Plugin Bundles
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Consoles emulation: UAD Neve 88RS vs Waves SSL 4000

Hola a [email protected] !!!

I have spent some time to make a test to listen how much a great plugin can really simulate the sound of a console.
This is a small demo that I have mixed in three ways what now I explain.
The mixing has been made at 96Khz/32bit into Nuendo3.2 running on Windows XP SP2, Athlon64 X2 3800, 2Gb Ram and four UAD-1 dsp cards to simulate consoles using UAD-1 Neve 88RS and Waves SSL 4000 Channel. Convertion at 44.1/32 with Voxengo R8Brain and dithering with Apogee UV22HR.

The three mix:

- SSL: I have put in every track, groups and mixbus the Waves SSL Channel, setting for EQ and Dynamics when it need. When it not need EQ and Dynamics the controls has been bypassed with the bypass-button. Always the analog button has been engaged and his fader control for setting the audio level of the track has been used. The ANALOG button always has been actived.

- Neve: I have put in every track, groups and mixbus the UAD Neve 88RS, setting for EQ and Dynamics when it need. When it not need EQ and Dynamics the buttons have not been activated. The volume control knob for setting the audio level of the track has been used.

- Neve+SSL: I have put in every track, groups and mixbus the UAD Neve 88RS as described before BUT for drum tracks and drum buss I have used the Waves SSL Channel.

All mixes have the same settings and audio levels. You can notice the differences between SSL: more punchy, and Neve: more silky.
Definitely I prefer when both works together... Even if the sound of a real console is another thing...

I hope this helps
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniA View Post
Definitely I prefer when both works together...
me too (referring to this test)

Quote:
Even if the sound of a real console is another thing...
yes.

Sonia, did you tried Duende? i thinks Duende is even better than UAD, Waves-SSL, Sonalksis, Chandler plugs... and i mean a lot better, worth a try, seriously
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

I like em both. I just think they are different the SSL is a little bit more bright/open and the Neve is a bit darker
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi Danny, yes I have try Duende but it's very close to Waves SSL and I prefer Waves for two rasons:
- I like more the sound of Waves plugin
- Duende give me great problem with Firewire driver and latency

Here the tracking with UAD Neve 88RS plugin insert into input channel for tracking with it to simulate the console sound during recording session. Only the EQ has been used. The mixing way is the same of Neve+SSL.

Of course it isn't a demostration that a plugin sound like hardware, only a little test maybe how to improve the sound ITB.

Sonia
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

hola sonia

i like the waves ssl version more because more clarity

meaby the neve plugs on top too make the top a lil silky but

i prefer more waves v series for that chase .

saludos patrick

Last edited by wildpark; 29th January 2008 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: damn all that emus i need the original unit for a plug price hehe
Old 29th January 2008
Gear Nut

the files don't exist.. i wanted to hear them ...
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Tracking with the Neve 88RS ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoniA View Post
Hi Danny, yes I have try Duende but it's very close to Waves SSL and I prefer Waves for two rasons:
- I like more the sound of Waves plugin
- Duende give me great problem with Firewire driver and latency

Here the tracking with UAD Neve 88RS plugin insert into input channel for tracking with it to simulate the console sound during recording session. Only the EQ has been used. The mixing way is the same of Neve+SSL.

Of course it isn't a demostration that a plugin sound like hardware, only a little test maybe how to improve the sound ITB.

Sonia
Hola Sonia, como estas ? I see you were tracking with your 88rs plug... I was just wondering what latency you are using. Doesn't the UAD double the mixing latency you have set in your DAW ? I've never even tried to track with a uad1 plug. I set my latency to around 5 ms in my DAW....so that would make it 10 ms with the UAD1, which I couldn't handle.... how is your setup ? GRacias...besos y abrasos ! Luke
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Nut

Dam anyone have these files?
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Nut

Hola, me gustaría escuchar los archivos de audio pero no están
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Dam anyone have these files?
there is really no big deal about this.
both a great plug ins my only feeling still is that some plugs have problems dealing with transients but the can get ****ing near to the HW sound.

myself I do work with plugs because a real neve or ssl is not in budget.

do not care about it demo them I use them both with a lot of fun.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search