The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FW400 ports: cable falls out too often Audio Interfaces
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

FW400 ports: cable falls out too often

Hi!
Decided to move form the old Mbox to an Mbox 2 Pro on my MacBook Pro (wanted to open up a USB port primarily). However, once I got it all up and going, I find that if I move the MBP a little, the FW400 cable will start to slide out. PT throws up the "Hardware device not found" error, which means I have to re-seat the cable in the MBP, and then relaunch PT. Every time.

I get stuck in bed (paraplegic), and thus my laptop is not always on a nice solid surface, immobile.

Are FW400 ports/connectors by nature so easily dislodged? Are certain cables better than others? Is it the port on my MacBook Pro?

thx to anyone who can help with this odd question heh
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

MBP/FW400 port should be pretty snug, with almost a silent "click" when FW is connected.

i'd assume it's the port that's loose, unless you're not using the proper FW cable (i doubt it tho).

have you tried a different FW cable?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

They should fit snug. Use a lil Gaff tape!

Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

LOL @ the tape..heh

Have a few high quality cables... tried in my Mac Pro as well. If I grab the cable just before the connector going into the port, and wiggle up and down very lightly, it takes 2-4 wiggles and falls out of the MacBook Pro, but the Mac Pro is solid as a rock. I have 4 other firewire devices, and they are solid with these cables, as well as with 3 other cables I have tried (less expensive ones).

So, now I am wondering- before running to an Apple store to check- are the last generation MacBook and MacBook pro laptop firewire 400 ports different? And are they simply all going to give me this "wiggle wiggle fall out" behaviour"? Or am I going to have to hope they will fix it right the first time? (last time they replaced the "top case" on the lower section, and now it is out of alignment...<sigh>)
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

...and appt. now for Genius bar tomorrow. 99% sure port is bad. Friend's macbook works fine...
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I have this exact same problem between an Mbox 2 Pro and my MacBook Pro. The solution was to ditch the Firewire cable from Digidesign and use another one I had lying around. The Digidesign cable was the only one I've ever had trouble with on my MBP.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi!
Yeah, first chance I had I tried a Belkin and two other quality cables. Have a friend that is a total Mac-head stop by to make sure I wasn't being a total idiot, and his MBP is fine with all the cables, even the Digi one. With my Mac Pro, I could plug the Digi cable in the front port, roll back (I'm in a wheelchair), and then pull myself forward easily without the cable coming loose enough to disconnect. With my MBP, simply giving it a light wiggle has it almost popping out of the port!

3rd time to the Genius bar with this one...hopefully the last time. Never had issues with Apple stuff before like this one <sigh>
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search