The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
windows xp: different volume for different application
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

windows xp: different volume for different application

i have always wondered if there is any way to do this, i hate working in certain non daw musicapplications like recycle and having to lower my monitorlevels, i would to have an volume-bar for each application or something like that where i can lower the volume for different applications
Old 17th August 2007
Some applications willl reset the system volume to the level of its own controls on application start up... most don't (and that can be a troublesome feature for obvious reasons).

I've tended to use a separate interface for audio work and regular everyday use. (I've always put a cheap soundcard [usually one of the old Soundblaster Lives] in machines in the past. I bought my last two machines and they came with SB clone chips built into the mobo.) In that case, the SB or clone is the default Windows sound device and I don't even activate its drivers in my DAW software setup.

That way, no consumer apps or video players, etc, are messing with my good interface, maybe changing the sample rate or causing other mischief. SBs and clones are typically pretty good at being all round consumer cards -- where specialized "pro" audio interfaces are not always so good with that stuffs, games, and the like. Sometimes they don't even offer "degraded" modes used by games or super-low data rate audio streams.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

that sounds great, are you saying that i should enable my motherboard builtin crappy-soundcard and dedicate that to the applications that giving me problem with my main line?
Old 17th August 2007
Not saying you should...

... but
that is what I do. And it does work for me.

I think this is where I should put one of those big YMMV provisos here...

YMMV

heh
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

i presume that i need to connect the lineout of the internal soundcard to my monitors in some way? my monitors is connected straight to the computer trough a audiophile 192 soundcard..
Old 17th August 2007
Oh yeah... that is an issue, of course. You could buy a little switch box that would simply switch the input of your speakers between the outputs of your computer's build in sound interface and your pro one. Or something like the Samson or Mackie monitor things might work for you --though a lot more expensive, they do offer a volume control so you don't have to control the volume of your monitors from inside your computer, which can lead to a subtle loss of fidelity as you "bit starve" the converters for lower and lower output levels. (Of course, the trim control on powered monitors to set a reasonable "maximum" level can help reduce that latter issue.)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search