The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using Logic and ProTools together DAW Software
Old 17th August 2007

Using Logic and ProTools together

This is purely out of curiosity...
I read many people are using Logic and ProTools together because they would complement each other well in regards to MIDI/VSTi (Logic) and audio/mixing (ProTools)...

Those of you who do that, how does that work? Do you prepare stuff in Logic, bounce / export it and import the tracks into PT, or is it possible to "route from Logic straight into PT" (Rewire or something like that???)? I know that PT LE is somewhat limited compared to its big brother... is the feature set of PT LE enough of the same like PT HD so that it makes sense also with Logic and PT LE?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaki putih View Post
This is purely out of curiosity...
I read many people are using Logic and ProTools together because they would complement each other well in regards to MIDI/VSTi (Logic) and audio/mixing (ProTools)...

Those of you who do that, how does that work? Do you prepare stuff in Logic, bounce / export it and import the tracks into PT, or is it possible to "route from Logic straight into PT" (Rewire or something like that???)? I know that PT LE is somewhat limited compared to its big brother... is the feature set of PT LE enough of the same like PT HD so that it makes sense also with Logic and PT LE?
they are using pro tools HD not LE
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sure you can run Logic alonside a Pro Tools LE - on separate computers, that is. Maybe it might work well on one computer, but I don´t think that´s real progress...

If you connect two macs to a gigabit ethernet switch you can bounce and even record to or play from the internal hard disks of the other computer. Just enable personal file sharing on both machines.

In MacOS 10.4 you can also setup network MIDI to send MTC and MMC between both machines and share e.g. a midi masterkeyboard.
You sync Logic Pro to Pro Tools and make sure they both share the same audio clock via wordclock or ADAT or whatever.

Toby
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

did it for about a year, 2 years ago.... hated it and sold pt and switched to logic native. spent a year with that and switched to dp. i will probably switch back to logic native if they redesign it.
Old 15th September 2009
Here for the gear

Arrow Pro Tools sync to DP6

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to sync Pro Tools LE 7.4 to DP6. Anybody can help me? Thanks a lot in advance.

Dual 2.3 Mac G5
OSX 10.4.11
Old 16th September 2009
Here for the gear

Logic and PT on same machine

Composing for TV, I use it this way, all in one box:

Logic (w Apogee Symphony and Rosetta 800) is where I compose, track (both midi and audio), and mix. When mixing, I send 4 stereo stems out the lightpipe of the rosetta, into the optical input of my Digi 192. These same stems go out analog as well to a summing bus, then to some outboard mastering compression (Manley Vari-Mu) then to the digi 192 analog ins. This is the "composers mix".

PT sends MTC via the IAC to logic; hit record in PT, logic snaps into play synchronously and in 1 pass I get 1 full mix and 4 pair of stems, all synced to the proper place in the program. Want more than four stems? Just make another pass. Music editor is then delivered the PT session, and just imports my tracks into the session he is preparing for the rerecording mix, without having to spot or sync a single cue.

A whole system of grouped tracks and playlists keeps stems and revisions neat and tidy for the rerecording mixer and our archives.

Hope this is helpful, it's been pretty glitch free!

Michael Rubin
Murmur Music, NYC
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search