The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gigastudio and Echo card?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Gigastudio and Echo card?

I've just done a clean install of the OS/Apps...and the "new" thing is the sound card. I went from an old Maudio Delata card to an Echo Gina3G for more IO-both analog and ADAT. Anway...

Gigastudio96 doesn't work. It gives me a BSOD on the nstation.sys file on launch UNLESS I have the latest (last) update for GS-2.54. With that, it runs, I can load samples, but I get no reaction from the onscreen or MIDI keyboard. Nada. Nothing.

Their multiclient GSIF driver was one of the selling points for me...allowing me to run Cubase with whatever synths and GS96 at the same time for the odd legacy sample...all mixed and routed on the card.

Any ideas? I've emailed Echo's tech support, but I thought I'd ask here....in case someone's already been through it.

It's a P4 2.6ht/1.5gb/WinXP Home(sp2)/EchoGina3g/MOTU MTPav. FWIW.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

FYI...Echo tech support suggested I change the driver, either to an older one they called "the most stable under XPsp2" or a newer beta driver.

Tried both. Nada. Same BSOD.

On my own, I decided to disable the Hyperthreading. It launched without bluescreening. But, only after trial and error, only the 256k buffer setting worked.

See, this is what I hate about computers. Really. SO, now, I seem to be functional, albeit without any performance gain associated with HT'ing, and with only the ability to use 256k on the GSIF side of the driver.

Still open to trying things if you've got suggestions. I don't know how gungho they'll be at helping now that it sorta works.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

So....no progress.

Echo's support asked me to uninstall (and manually clean up) Giga...reinstall with that "most stable under xpSp2" driver.

Exact same thing.

I asked him about how I'm supposed to mix these multiple apps together to an output for monitoring (which is done in Maudio;s patchbay window)...card doesn't do this. He suggested I use Cubase's groups to route/mix outputs. I'm thinking he's missing the fundamental purpose of multiclient drivers.

So, here's where I'm at. I may just have to reinstall the Maduio card to run Giga. If I'd have known I would have to do that, I coulda picked from more cards.

Broken ass GSIF driver. Is anyone here running Gigastudio on an Echo card?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I ran Giga on an echo card (mia) with no issues - but I don't use hyperthreading on the box since HT does nothing for you
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Could you actually set the buffer settings to different settings? It's not just turning the HT off...it's turning off HT and having to use a specific buffer setting...not larger or smaller. Only 256k. Period.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Could you actually set the buffer settings to different settings? It's not just turning the HT off...it's turning off HT and having to use a specific buffer setting...not larger or smaller. Only 256k. Period.
I haven't used the old version of GIga since I went with GS3 but can you change the buffers in the control panel of the echo card first then load Giga and see if it gives you what you want?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search