The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I buy a simple remote to control a DAW? Synchronisers/Clock Generators
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

Question Can I buy a simple remote to control a DAW?

Hi. I'm a frustated analog guy stumbling around in DAW land.
Several years ago I bought Nuendo so I could sync up to my analog machine but it never happened and I never felt comfortable using Nuendo or any DAW for that matter. I just about gave up on them. But then last year, I got my first mac and was screwing around with garageband. For the first time, I actually was able to figure it a computer based recording program and actually record something

I was experimenting with garageband again the other day, but using the mouse to do everything started to bug me to the point where I just turned it off and walked away.

I there a cheap control unit I could buy and setup to control the transport section of a daw? I saw a tascam (i believe) on music123 for $600 or something but it had faders and everything. I can't spend this much. I don't mind the mixing and track setup so much using the mouse...but I hate when I'm trying to get a take down playing an instrument and I have to change the focus to the computer after every try....it'd be so much easier to hit a button...

If there is something for garageband that'd be great. I have nuendo in my pc with a lynx2 card but my pc is upstairs and I'd like to be a little more portable. I was actually thinking about buying a small protools LE bundle since I need some type of AD convertor for the mac anyway. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Look into Frontier Designs Tranzport. It is VERY popular and well recieved by people. It is designed primarily for musicians in your situation just like you.

I haven't got mine yet but it is a purchase for me in the near future because I haven't heard a single complaint yet.....Just a lot of, "AHHHH what a relief!"

Anyway that is your simple remote although not so simple and not super cheap but still you could do a lot worse for 200$ in the recording universe.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Head

thanks...that looks nice!

Looks like no garaband support though?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is probably exactly what you want.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...ce-Pro%20Audio
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

Yes, thanks, that would be nice!
I just checked the apple discussions on garageband and I read about how apple has not upgraded the firmware for it to work with the new version of garageband. I also read older posts saying the same thing about the PREVIOUS version of garageband (the one I have).

I don't know...almost seems like a gamble. Also a negative that it only works with garageband. Sometimes you can't seem to win with apple.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search