The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bleeding between tracks with M-Audio Fast Track USB Audio Interfaces
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

Bleeding between tracks with M-Audio Fast Track USB

I'm having problems with an M-Audio Fast Track USB in my PC. Once I got thing working with the latest drivers it works fine except I seem to get bleed between tracks.

I've verified this in Reaper and FL Studio 7.

So using Reaper I create a new track, load in the soundfont player and program a simple drum loop. I play this back looping at the end.

I create another track and load guitar rig 2. I select a preset with distortion (primarily one downloaded from the net), arm the track for recording, select the appropriate input and start recording.

When I'm recording, before I start playing the guitar, I can hear the drum track affecting the guitar track. Both are routed to the master output track/channel.

When I say affect, I mean that every time the bass or snare drum sounds the guitar track meter jumps. I can also hear the drum sound affect the GR2 FX background noise/hiss, if that makes sense.

I'm using M-Audio's latest drivers and my PC spec is:

AMD64 3200
1Gb
SATA 200Gb
SB Live! Value
WinXP SP2
MSI NEO2 Platinum motherboard
ASUS 6600GT

My guitar is a Washburn MG-34 I think.

I went through the basics of recording with Reaper with a helpful soul on the Reaper forums; he's a professional engineer so I'm confident he suggested everything he could think of. It appears that I'm using Reaper correctly - i.e. not doing anything stupid like routing one track to another by accident. Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Doesn't look like anyone is too interested, but here's an update:

I heard back from M-Audio support today. If you set the input level switch to "LINE" the bleed/leak disappears. If you set it to "GUITAR" which is obviously the correct setting both logically and according to the manual, it bleeds/leaks. Support said they can recreate this and they'll pass it to the US engineers and get back to me.

Here's a basic test to re-create the problem for those with M-Audio Fast Tracks.

Ensure the input level switch is set to "GUITAR" as it should be.

Cutting it down to the bare bones in Reaper. I create a track, add the SoftDrum VST and program a simple drum loop using MIDI.

I then create a new track, arm it for recording, select the input as Line 2 Fast Track and choose to monitor input. I then add ReaComp compressor VST to this second track and if I look at the monitor for the track or look at the VST plugin UI I can see the monitor registering noise in time with the drum beats. As though the output is being fed back into the input.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you for the report! I'm looking at one of these as a gift and now I may look elsewhere.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search