The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most user friendly software You've used? DAW Software
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Most user friendly software You've used?

What's the most user friendly software you've used?
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Traction. Understood it after 5 min.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Da Mill.
well u dont give any details of your feature needs.
i'm asuming multitrack audio/midi software.
If you added as well as user friendly the words.....
ultra low cost (includeing future upgrade costs..), no dongles,
huge range of features, large fx suite built in,
and work with a large variety of sound devices n pc's.
i would suggest my main main two daw software i use
in my sig.
(too much to list...try the demos n see if they meet your needs..
pgmusic.com and cockos.com)
hopefully another daw software war wont break out...lol.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Ableton Live for me. It's ridiculously easy to use.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

manning 1, you're right, I didn't list specifics, my bad!
I want to set up my 1st. computer based studio on my shiny new Dell.
I've been an analog guy (80-8) since 1979 and all the equip. still works.
I want something so easy even I can deal with it. # of tracks isn't as important as ability to access a variety of drum styles as I never know what my next song will be.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Mill..
ok....re styles.
you should really also check out band in a box imho .(pgmusic.com for demo.)
it comes with a major feature called REAL DRUMS.
it will save u tons of time laboriously creating tracks.
the real drums is actual studio musicians playing well..real drums.
think of biab as a very fast way of creating tracks without all the track laying time.
u can even create your own music styles if u wish.
anyway theres just too much in it so check out the demo.
think of it as a fast way to create song bed tracks.
(it will even create melodies n solos for you.
if u ask it to.
haveing created the song bed tracks frame work in biab, then u can
bring the tracks from biab into the other two packages in my sig
for final song "icings". like lead vocals etc/final overdubs/mastering etc etc.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

GarageBand is very easy to understand.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I hate to say this, but Protools. I came from a long term console/tape machine background and that's what it resembles to me in terms of layout. I used it without really cracking the manual, except for seting it up with the hardware. The newer stuff like Nuendo & Samplitude (I really like the way Samp sounds) dealt me a steeper learning curve.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

This terrifically useful little toy.

- c
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Pro Tools (yeah i know )

Reason: Easy, bus sounds crappy
Old 17th August 2007
Another vote for Tracktion.

If ease of adoption for a beginner to DAWs is the primary consideration, I think Tracktion is a natural choice.

I don't use it myself (I own the once-free version 1.0) but it's rare that a satisfied new user doesn't comment on how easy it was to get started.

Now, if the guy was looking to get experience for working in the industry, I'd join in with those who say Pro Tools.

Or if he was just looking for a powerful DAW with a full range of capabilities, I'd very strongly recommend Sonar (used it since 1996 for computer audio recording, myself) or Cubase, which is also quite powerful and has number of great features. (Though I think I ought to put an asterisk by Cubase because of the number of times it popped up in the "buggest software" thread.)

And -- if he was looking to not spend much money or was excited by continual growth of a new and developing program, I'd say that Reaper might be a great way to go -- and grow. It may have a ways to go before it catches up with the others -- but no other DAW is evolving so quickly -- or with such an attentive ear to its userbase.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragan View Post
Ableton Live for me. It's ridiculously easy to use.
+1
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Live--definitely.
I'm a prodigal son with Live. All projects begin there, although the may end up in Cubase at some point.
Old 17th August 2007
I think Logic Pro is very user friendly, considering this is a professional piece of software.

Not easy, but very customizable and flexible. That's also part of being user friendly.

I think Apple are giving Logic an interface overhaul in version 8/X though.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
I think Logic Pro is very user friendly, considering this is a professional piece of software.

Not easy, but very customizable and flexible. That's also part of being user friendly.

I think Apple are giving Logic an interface overhaul in version 8/X though.
Sure after you read the 729 page reference manual ... And a few weeks with the software.
As a logic owner I would say it probably the least user friendly software I have ever used. Simple things like copy a plug-in from one track to another you have to open a new window.
Need to change the mixer? - open a new window.
Edit Audio? - open a new window.
Nearly everything you do in Logic you have to open a window to do it. Logic is very good Midi Sequencing software with audio functions tagged on to it.
Changing a Mono track into a stereo track causes all you plug-ins to disappear.
No Dynamic Voice allocation - Changing Voice allocation on a track causes you to loose plug-ins your plug-ins are tied to your voices.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Sure after you read the 729 page reference manual ... And a few weeks with the software.
As a logic owner I would say it probably the least user friendly software I have ever used. Simple things like copy a plug-in from one track to another you have to open a new window.
Need to change the mixer? - open a new window.
Edit Audio? - open a new window.
Nearly everything you do in Logic you have to open a window to do it. Logic is very good Midi Sequencing software with audio functions tagged on to it.
Changing a Mono track into a stereo track causes all you plug-ins to disappear.
No Dynamic Voice allocation - Changing Voice allocation on a track causes you to loose plug-ins your plug-ins are tied to your voices.
I agree. I started out with Sonar (actually cakewalk PA7. or 8?), and now I'm using Logic, which I think is great. But it took me some time to get the hang of it. I considered Cubase before I bought Logic, but you can't even copy plugins between track in the mixer view! Copying plugins between tracks in Logic is VERY simple.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Simple things like copy a plug-in from one track to another you have to open a new window.
First of all Logic is based around screen sets. They are easy to use and very flexible. This is far speedier and more flexible than anything PoorTools can come up with IMO. Such a nice idea that Apple is actually implementing it in OS X Leopard (calls it Workspace).

Once you've set up your screensets and key commands you're off.

1) You can move around plug-ins in the channel strip in the arrange window by using command+drag (bonus tip: alt+click on the channel eq to drop every plug-in one place down, very handy in case you wanted to insert e.g. de-esser first, but forgot to once your whole strip was finished).

2) You can copy+paste channel strip settings from one track to another without even leaving the arrange page, or save and recall them later, and in other songs.

3) Or you can simply copy+paste the setting or save it and recall it from within the plug-in.

4) Finally you can use the adaptive track mixer or

5) the audio configuration window to move around plug-ins between tracks which both require just one press of your screenset key.
Old 17th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
I agree. I started out with Sonar (actually cakewalk PA7. or 8?), and now I'm using Logic, which I think is great. But it took me some time to get the hang of it. I considered Cubase before I bought Logic, but you can't even copy plugins between track in the mixer view! Copying plugins between tracks in Logic is VERY simple.
I'm sure if we get into particulars, we could be here all day (oh wait, some of us are, anyhow heh ) but the current Sonar couldn't make it any easier to copy a plug from one track to another. Want to move it? Click and drag. Copy it? Ctrl-click and drag. Boom. All settings intact and ready to go.

Want to set a track up as a template track? Right click/Save as Track Template. Insert a template track? Right click/Insert from Track Template.

For many projects, I never even open another view besides the main track view. You do all your audio editing there (one view) and you can do simple MIDI edits there as well. Of course to get into piano roll view you just double click the MIDI track.

But, you know, we all work differently. Sonar works great for me and, obviously, others like Tracktion, Cubase, Reaper, Logic or DP, Samplitute, Saw, etc.

PS... While I don't doubt for an instant its power and ultimate flexibility, I have to admit I almost did a spit-take when I saw Logic listed above. I think a large number of Logic users might quarrel with that, judging from some of the threads I've lurked here. But, like I said, we all do work differently and if someone tells you it's easy for him... who can quarrel with that?
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cool

Unreal Tournament! Man that was easy!!

and Music software....Props Rebirth was simple and fun. All step sequencers, 808, 909 and 2 303's basslines. One delay and a couple of filters!

I'll chime in with PT being simple and laid out in a intuitive fashion, except for the midi...
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Reaper
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

+ 3
Ableton Live.

instant satisfaction, great, built-in tutorials.
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Coming from Cubase, I thought Pro Tools was very user friendly... Everything just "made sense".
Old 18th August 2007
Lives for gear

Fruityloops! It is the toy version of a real audio app on the outside, but If you dig deep it has some teeth and a bite. I bought v.4 to make some elektro style loops and never looked at a manual. "Fruityloops-father of 15 million 15 year old bedroom producers"
Old 18th August 2007
M2E
Lives for gear

Gotta say Pro Tools. I started with Cubase..Hated it!!!!!
Then I moved to Logic...Great Midi but the Audio editing was very hard to put my head around. I got use to it but, took some time. Also, the midi was not that easy to use as well. Took me about 1 to 2 months to get it really going. I then decided to stick with the MPC-3000.
After visiting London for a month working on a project I really discovered Pro Tools. Loved it. Back then it was Pro Tools 5.
When I got back home I bought it for a project that was coming from the UK called The Honeyz. I learned the audio in 1 week if not sooner. Had someone show me the ropes like Logic. Back then they didn't have much midi but, it was so easy and really made more sense to me as a studio working tool.
Now with HD they have stepped up the game but, still have made it easy to work with for beginners.

Gotta say though...I still do midi on the MPC-3000. That's my love machine and I'm very quick on it. Can put a track together in 2 mins if I wanted. Love it as well. It's to me, all about the timing and the MPC has great timing. Or maybe, my brain is jus slow.heh

Hope This Help....

M2E
Old 18th August 2007
M2E
Lives for gear

Sorry but, wanted to add this....Funny story to say the least...

When I got into the DAW game in 1999, it started with going to Guitar Center to check out a Pro Tools Demo session. I sat there for about an Hour and a half looking at what they were doing and was like WOW....Coming from ADAT's and a Mackie Board that's incredible.
After they were done they let people ask questions. One guy said, "I own Pro Tools and how do you compare this to the audio editing inside Pro Tools? I was like what? This is Pro Tools isn't it? The rep said well if you want to waste 20 grand on something that you can do with a $400 dollar system then go ahead but, we can do everything that Pro Tools can do and better. At this point I was like "If this is not Pro Tools and it sure doesn't look like Logic then what the hell is this?"
After the smoked cleared, the guns were put away and people were walking away I was like what program is this? The rep said Cubase. I told him that I was here to look at Pro Tools and he told me, "Don't waste your money on that. Get Cubase and you will be able to do everything and 10 times more with Cubase. All you need is a PC."
So I bought it right then and there. Next day bought a top of the line HP PC for $2,400.

I wasted a year of my life getting to know Cubase and getting to know the in's and out's of the HP CPU. It was fun but, my music really hurt during that time.

Also, when I went to London with a remix file I was doing for a UK act named Kelly Bryan. I had my Cubase disk and I went to Townhouse studios. I remember this like yesterday.
I told the engineer, "Hey I got some Cubase files here and all I need is a PC with Cubase. They were like who? Cu who? I said Cubase. They were like what's that?
Then they said, why do you need a PC? Do you need to transfer it to a word file or something. I looked around and all they had were Mac's and Logic with Pro Tools Hardware. They called around to 6 different studios and no studio had Cubase nor a PC.
This happened to me in every studio I went to in London. Everybody had Logic frontend with Pro Tools Hardware.
When I went to all the big studios in the US, all they had was Pro Tools.

So when I did get back to the states that's when I decided that Logic and Pro Tools it is.

Never looked back...

Hope this brings some laughter to ya guys....Got stories for days like this...

M2E
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

Thanks for responding

I want to thank all of you for the thoughtful responses.
One name that didn't come up was Sony Acid Pro. Any reason why this would not be a consideration?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Acid
Ableton Live
Cool Edit Pro
Adobe Lightroom(not audio)
iphoto(not audio)
itunes(not DAW)
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mill View Post
I want to thank all of you for the thoughtful responses.
One name that didn't come up was Sony Acid Pro. Any reason why this would not be a consideration?
Regarding the Sony products, I would say that Acid Pro would be a good choice for looping ... but for general ITB tracking, editing & mixdown, you would be better off with Sound Forge 9.

I now use Samplitude, but I was a SF user from ver. 4 through 8. BTW - it was only a 2-tk. editor until the latest version, and from what I have seen & heard SF9 looks to be a compelling release, now with multi-channel capabilities ... and the interface remains very straightforward & intuitive.

One caveat: There have been a few discussions around the forums about a dithering issue using the highest quality setting, but it doesn't appear to be a fatal flaw.

SF9 is a pretty good deal if you can do the upgrade at $149.
----------------------------------------------------------
Reaper is also very interesting, and the interface is somewhat based on Sony Vegas, but with the emphasis on the audio capabilities. Not entirely sure, but I think it may be free for personal use.
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

I would say protools is the most user friendly. Battery was a recent program that was out the box and integrated within 5-10 minutes. Not sure who said logic was user friendly, gotta disagree. Probably the most intially frustrating program I have ever used. I love it now, but those first couple of weeks really sucked. I think the flexibility is what makes it so hard for initial users. To many choices.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search