The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most user friendly software You've used? DAW Software
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Ableton live question

I watched some tutorials on you tube demonstrating Ableton Live. I would like to ask those using or familiar with it how they think it would work in regards to country music or classic rock. The tutorials only demo'd hip hop styles. Can it produce "natural sounding" drums and intruments as well?
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Tracktion can be run be a 5 year old. Its really easy. That said the PT guys do have it right that nobody will take you seriously if you dont run PT.

Sad state of affairs really.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
First of all Logic is based around screen sets. They are easy to use and very flexible. This is far speedier and more flexible than anything PoorTools can come up with IMO. Such a nice idea that Apple is actually implementing it in OS X Leopard (calls it Workspace).

Once you've set up your screensets and key commands you're off.
Well, if you 'click' with Logic's way of working with screensets (like I do) then it becomes a very fast way to work.. but because of the learning curve I wouldn't put it in the easiest-to-use list.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

REAPER +1 !
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
GarageBand is very easy to understand.
I actually found it terribly confusing.

EZDrummer for me.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

+1 for Tracktion. looks simple, but is deceptively powerful.

once you get past the odd paradigm Ableton Live is damn friendly too.

-s
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Microsoft Word. That helpful dog always keeps me at the right path.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

MultitrackStudio Pro Plus and DDclip Pro are both very user friendly.
Each one is missing some advanced features, but MultitrackStudio
is still being developed in improving ways.

Cool Edit 2000 is very user friendly.

Cool CD Burner is very user friendly.
Old 21st August 2007
I really like the sequencer in my Sony Ericcson mobilephone. very userfriendly

I'm still on Cubase/Nuendo/Samplitude. Whatever works..
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear
1. ACID PRO - I used it for nearly a year before I had to look at a manual. Coming from a hardware background Rebirth and Reason made sense, but Acid was a complete no brainer.

Although I'm not trying to start a fight, every time Ableton comes out with a new version I try the demo and just HATE the GUI.

2. Emu SP1200 - by far the easiest method of editing samples ever...2 sliders...one for course editing and one for fine...no waiting for waveforms to draw...hit the drum pad move the sliders and just use your ears. Not to mention that 12-bit, crunchy, late 80's-early 90's drum sound. Too bad it only has 10 seconds total sample time and is still around $1000 overpriced.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Pro Tools is the most friendly to me. No fancy anything -- just a straightforward GUI.

MPC is stupid simple ... if that counts.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
iphoto(not audio)
funny, I switched my non-music computer from PC to Mac (halleluyah) and the one app I hate is iphoto.

I miss Google's Picasa.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Best thing since SD2 TwistedWave, an Audio Editor for Mac
If you don't really need photoshop Seashore - About
Use your mac like ur mind Main Page - FreeMind - free mind mapping software
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
funny, I switched my non-music computer from PC to Mac (halleluyah) and the one app I hate is iphoto.

I miss Google's Picasa.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

+ Picasa is an outrageously great image viewer.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Same here!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Being an ex DSPF user, i can say from there everything seems easy.
I´m a Cubase user, it a fairly predictable, stable program. People who had to make is way around a hardware mixer have their learning curve eased a lot i guess.

IMO every software has its haaa point, where everything begins to make sense and manuals take a minor role from them on.

Recently i have tried Energy XT, the perfect complement for the SX3 user. C4 does a lot better without it since it stores track presets et al. Anyhow, offline processing with it is a piece of cake.

Energy XT 2 was recently released, the more i play with it, the more i enjoy it... not because of its simplicity btw. It definitly out grown its chainer plug side for cubase.

I would like it to read some mp3 files... so i could jam along with some of my favorite tracks. Cubase does it btw. heh

bye.
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Same here!
One of my friends is a professonal photog, a big Mac lover, and he hates iPhoto, as well. He says it tries to take over his image libraries and do all sorts of nasty business -- but frankly he gets so exercised about it, I've never got the full story.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear
I have found Acoustica Mixcraft 2 and version 3 to be extremely easy to use. Unfortunately, it doesn't support midi, so i don't use it that often...

Mixcraft 3 - Great Multi-Track Recording Software to record, remix and edit music!
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
I agree. I started out with Sonar (actually cakewalk PA7. or 8?), and now I'm using Logic, which I think is great. But it took me some time to get the hang of it. I considered Cubase before I bought Logic, but you can't even copy plugins between track in the mixer view! Copying plugins between tracks in Logic is VERY simple.

for the record, you can now copy/drag plugins in the mixer with Cubase 4.

I just came from pro tools LE, and i am really loving Cubase.

i like PT as well, and I will miss some of the audio editing features of pro tools.
i would say pro tools is generally more user friendly.

Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Addict

melodyne
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Sonic Foudry (Sony) Vegas hands down.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search