The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What PC apps/plugins are worth installing bootcamp for? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

What PC apps/plugins are worth installing bootcamp for?

I keep wondering whether it's worth the hassle of installing XP/Bootcamp on my MacBook to try all the other softsynths and plugs that are PC only, so...

Mac users - what PC music apps and plugs do you find it worth the hassle of switching over to the 'dark side' for?

PC users - what PC only software could you absolutely not live without?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardswag View Post

PC users - what PC only software could you absolutely not live without?
Only one: Sound Forge thumbsup
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's my dilemma: I'm a longtime Mac user (love the usability and stability) BUT there's too many incredible freeware (and payware as well) plugs available to mention.
If you are into software instruments, maybe you should install bootcamp and have a listen for yourself (good starting point e.g. is gersic.com/plugins).
Have fun!
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Only one: Sound Forge
im a mac user (ex pc) and id expand that to two for Sony Vegas, I LOVE that for mastering cds with, It's so nice. And hell i used to record with it once too!

I wonder where reaper got their GUI from
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
...maybe you should install bootcamp and have a listen for yourself (good starting point e.g. is gersic.com/plugins).
Have fun!
You're right - I guess that's the only way - thanks for the link - not seen that site before.

I'd actually been putting this off because I assumed you'd need to reformat and repartition the internal HD to do it, but taking a look at the the Apple Bootcamp pages it says

"The software also helps you set aside hard drive space for the Windows installation, without moving any of your Mac files around. Just drag the intuitive slider to choose the size that’s right for you. Boot Camp also makes it easy to remove the Windows partition later, should you so desire."

Does this really mean I don't have to reformat my HD? That would be very cool.
Old 17th August 2007
Wavelab and Audiomulch would be sorely missed here.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

SAWStudio
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

Wavelab.....but before you try bootcamp go to the macsite and read the FAQ's. lots of people seem to be having lots of windows related problems with it.

Steinberg "if you read this" please write wavelab for the mac os already. by the time you futz with all the bootcamp issues you could have taken over the mac market before apple gets around to doing it.
Old 18th August 2007
Here for the gear

sorry richardswag, i meant to stay on topic.
having recently switched to mac and re-built my studio, i would'nt go back to pc for anything. i never have to troubleshoot anymore, with the exception of a small amount of time spent learning mac os.
as far as soft synths go....the Logic soft synths are as good as anything 3rd party that i've used, and the better ones take up alot of hd space and processing power. i wish i could remember what they were called.
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Guru

My favorite DAW for making music is Sonar but as you have switched to Mac, you obviously don't use it so that wouldn't be relevant to you.

For plugins, I love the Voxengo plugins and would miss them dearly if I couldn't use them. There are loads of VST plugins I use but besides Voxengo, I don't know what is or isn't available for Macs. PLPareq comes to mind (I was lucky to get the free 3 band version when it was still in development).

I would also miss Audition and SoundForge. (Although my version of SF is really old so there are probably equivalent apps available for Macs).

Alistair
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

For a while I’ve been exporting stereo drumloops from Logic Pro on the Mac to my PC Laptop to have otiumFX Compadre Beatpuncher compressor plug-in have a go at them. Its side-chain abilities and crunchy Distressor character, gives me something unique I couldn’t find in Mac AU plug-ins.

The new FabFilter Pro-C and PSP Audioware MasterComp for both platforms have some of the functionality, but are more on the clean side.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Just wanted to post my results for anyone considering this themselves.

Well, it was suprisingly painless - BootCamp managed to create a new partition (I just went with 10Gb) without me doing any reformatting - clever stuff. Installed XP SP2, then the drivers for the PreSonus Firebox and Live 6.0.7.

The only problem I had was the (apparently common) random audio dropouts, which it turns out is easily fixed by going to control panels and turning of the wireless internet.

All in all it seems pretty fast and snappy and I can get super low latency with the Firebox. I haven't done any heavy duty DAW stuff (and doubt I ever will) but as a low latency fx and vsti host all is well. I've been having *lots* of fun with the Glitch freeware plugin.

XP *is* f-ugly though isn't it?
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info richardswag, I too am about to soil my Macbook Pro and have just been putting it off for fear of "issues".

I do have 2 questions though. I run Super Duper (it's like Carbon Copy Cloner), am I right in assuming it will not clone the Windows partition?

And, if I decide later that it's a waste of space, how easy is it going to be to remove the partition? Am I going to have to reformat the whole drive (and I guess, then stick my Super Duper clone back on it) to rid myself of Windows?

thx
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Thanks for the info richardswag, I too am about to soil my Macbook Pro and have just been putting it off for fear of "issues".

I do have 2 questions though. I run Super Duper (it's like Carbon Copy Cloner), am I right in assuming it will not clone the Windows partition?

And, if I decide later that it's a waste of space, how easy is it going to be to remove the partition? Am I going to have to reformat the whole drive (and I guess, then stick my Super Duper clone back on it) to rid myself of Windows?

thx
Don't know about SuperDuper - maybe try asking their support. The Windoze partition shows up on the OSX desktop just like any other though.

The BootCamp setup utility says it can remove the Windows partition as easily as it installs, but I haven't tried so can't say for sure.

Good luck!
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

WaveLab, Voxengo Plugins, Sytrus and some freebies like Synth 1 come to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleym View Post
Steinberg "if you read this" please write wavelab for the mac os already. by the time you futz with all the bootcamp issues you could have taken over the mac market before apple gets around to doing it.
Wavelab is almost entirely created by a French programmer Phillipe Goutier and distributed under the Steinberg brand. He's not familiar with programming on the mac platform. So I don't expect the Mac OSX version will come out. I think getting a cheap PC will be a much better solution than using BootCamp if you want to use Wavelab or Sound Forge.
Old 24th August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks yuga........i knew it was a hopeless vent.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

... one year later... SM Pro Audio is coming out with V-Machine in October 2008, which should make it possible to "play all your favorite Windows plug-ins (dll-files) on Mac!".

There seem to be a few plug-ins that are PC only and some plugs that won't work on Leopard, but will work on Windows XP:
If it works as advertised and Logic 8.02 can compensate for any introduced latency during mixing (like UAD & Powercore), I might get one.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

well, I don't think nebula will run there, cause the huge library size, memory and cpu usage. But we'll release nebula free for mac before the end of the year, and nebula commercial for mac immediatly after.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
well, I don't think nebula will run there, cause the huge library size, memory and cpu usage. But we'll release nebula free for mac before the end of the year, and nebula commercial for mac immediatly after.
One of the few plugins I really want.
Keep it up
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

all the audio-damage plugs are pc only... AND THEY ROCK!
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
In the V-Machine features it states: "Use software samplers and stream its content from any USB drive". On their website they show a (partial) picture of SampleTank 2 loaded in the V-Machine.

These days 8Gb USB Flashdrives are quite cheap (as well as larger USB Harddisks), so library size shouldn't be much of a problem. Let's hope the RAM and CPU usage won't be the bottleneck for too many plug-ins.
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
all the audio-damage plugs are pc only... AND THEY ROCK!
Audio Damage are also available for Mac... but they do rock!
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlizz View Post
Audio Damage are also available for Mac... but they do rock!
my bad ..

but they DO SO ROCK!!!!
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlizz View Post
In the V-Machine features it states: "Use software samplers and stream its content from any USB drive". On their website they show a (partial) picture of SampleTank 2 loaded in the V-Machine.

These days 8Gb USB Flashdrives are quite cheap (as well as larger USB Harddisks), so library size shouldn't be much of a problem. Let's hope the RAM and CPU usage won't be the bottleneck for too many plug-ins.
Yes, I read it. Still I'm not sure. Nebula is a plug around 2 megabytes, and it uses other dll libraries installed in windows folder. Particular instances could use 100-200 megabytes of ram or even more (in general it is not true, but it could be).
The actual windows release expects that a "C:\" drive exists, it is used for protection purpose.

You could try to contact the developer, making more questions, maybe he already tested our free version (it could be a step in the right direction).
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could try to contact the developer, making more questions, maybe he already tested our free version (it could be a step in the right direction).
I e-mailed them with a question which Window XP plug-ins would be compatible with the V-Machine and this is the response I got from the Marketing Director Europe:

Thanks for that link and i read it through. Well, we don't know yet, as I don't have the latest compatibility list from our dev team. But I'm running the latest V-Machine Host Software here and I installed Nebula 3 and everthing seems to be okay.

Please stay tuned, we will release a list soon!
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

very happy for their reply!!!!!! It was a bit unexpected.
Thank you for the interest.
Old 12th September 2008
Lives for gear

i think the main thing you'll be missing on mac are the many software utilities that are available for winxp, batch converters and such... wavelab is also great.

they are very important for my workflow... and one of the main reasons i use a pc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search