The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apple Keyboard Cleaning? Saturation Plugins
Old 16th August 2007

Apple Keyboard Cleaning?

I'm thinking about opening up and give a good clean to my Apple keyboard. I've been a little bit of a slob with my home computer and I wanted to know if there's not much trouble in disassembling the keyboard, I mean, is it an easy task? are the parts easy to put where they belong and stuff like that? I've never done this. Is it even worth it?

BTW, it's one of the white/transparent ones.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

You can just pull the keys off and clean the keyboard. Why not run the keys thru the dishwasher?

But really, I think those keyboards are only about $35 here in the usa.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Just run it through the dishwasher, no soap, no heat dry. Then place upside down for a few days to dry. worked for me!
Old 16th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
You can just pull the keys off and clean the keyboard. Why not run the keys thru the dishwasher?
Thanks, I wasn't aware that the keys come off so easily.

It just needed a little cleaning, no need to buy a new one.

Thanks guys!
Old 16th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
Just run it through the dishwasher, no soap, no heat dry. Then place upside down for a few days to dry. worked for me!
Really? Are you talking about the keys only or the entire keyboard? Because in the studio a client spilled water on a few keys and they stopped working (just the bottom right keys).
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

buy the new one, designed like the mac book keyboard, no place for hair, food, and boogers!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
Really? Are you talking about the keys only or the entire keyboard? Because in the studio a client spilled water on a few keys and they stopped working (just the bottom right keys).
I think that's a joke. In my experience, even a small amount of moisture will kill a Mac keyboard.
Old 16th August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro View Post
buy the new one, designed like the mac book keyboard, no place for hair, food, and boogers!
Hehehe, yeah and they look awesome.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I think that's a joke. In my experience, even a small amount of moisture will kill a Mac keyboard.
Yeah, prob not a good idea. I actually saw something (can't remember if it was online or on TV... perhaps mythbusters?) and it didn't work out too well. Apparently it can work, but depends on the keyboard and how it's placed in the dishwasher. I don't think I'd trust it.

I pulled all the keys off of mine and just wiped it all down and used a moist cotton swab to get into tight spots. A bit time consuming, but it looked like new... for a month a at least.
---
c
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't imagine water would kill it so long as it's not connected and there is no electricity going through it to short things out. I don't think i would be brave enough to try, but so long as it had plenty of time to completely dry, I don't imagine it would do any damage. Again, don't think i would want to take the risk of finding out if i am wrong.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

<< Really? Are you talking about the keys only or the entire keyboard? Because in the studio a client spilled water on a few keys and they stopped working (just the bottom right keys). >>

The entire keyboard, No joke! This trick dates back many years. Google it if you don't believe me. I tried it personally just a few months ago and the keyboard has been working great.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

My friend put 14 used keyboards in the dishwasher and 14 of them worked 100% after they had dried thorouly. I am typing on one of them right now. Living proof.

I've put this keyboard 4-5 times (once a year) trough the dishwasher and it's all good. Just let it fry for 2 whole days on a radiator...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search