The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buggiest software you've ever used? DAW Software
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Buggiest software you've ever used?

For me, it would be Peak 5.2.

Outrageously screwed up, nearly to the point of being unusable. Mind you, this is version 5, so they've had five times to refine it. And yet, it still can't do basic things without glitching out.

When they announce V6.0, the ad campaign should be: "Peak 6... now it actually works..."

Alright, you go.

--- c
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

the **** that came with my ATi video card that i NEVER DID get to work right without crashing. **** YOU ATi!!!!! NEVER BUYING YOUR **** AGAIN!!!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cubase 4.0 before the .01 .02 and .03 updates
Old 16th August 2007
Deleted User
Cubase SX 2.0 before the updates
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

iWeb '08. The new iLife '08 package has left me...
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

nTrack on Win98, wanted it to work, loved the features, but it was not happy with Win98 as a platform
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Windows tutt
Old 16th August 2007
JPZ
Lives for gear

Pro Tools 4.0. Almost unusable.
Old 16th August 2007
Oh, man, don't start me... I started using a computer for daily work in 1984 (business work, mind you)... I've been through the ringer.

I'm happy to say that audio software has -- by and large -- not been among the worst...

I'd say worst among repeat-offenders I somehow continued using was CorelDraws 3 & 4.

I think I learned a real lesson there.

I was having multiple crashes a day. It would crash the whole OS over and over. It was a perfect storm between a once-wildly expensive '386, Windows 3.x, and CorelDraw's memory management.

I had plenty of other programs that didn't crash. My MIDI sequencer I don't think ever had a data-losing crash (I used it to sync with my ADATs).

Ditching that machine went a long way to getting things right, even with the same measly 4 MB of RAM (for a short time). Windows 95 had a real bumpy start for me (driver issues, imagine) but, happily, my new audio-capable sequencer, Cakewalk 6 PA, worked well from the beginning -- even as other software had, shall we say, issues. I've continued to use CW/Sonar since then, and it's been very stable.

But...
after my Windows 3.x days (started on 3.0), CorelDraw, and the agony of all those early crashes I took a kind of never again approach. Instead of trusting my hardware to someone else, I took charge of it myself, eventually building my own machine (best move I ever made). And I learned the OS enough to make sure I could run my machine relatively lean and clean.

I hate crashes and losing data -- throwing away work at the least and maybe losing something that can't be properly recreated in the case of artistic/musical efforts -- drives me insane.

Happily, these days, that's mostly just a memory.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Focusrite SaffireControl version 1.x
Windows NT4 (it would blue screen if I maxed my IE window size - WTF!?)
ProTools 6.4 and 6.7 with my old Mbox could be utterly spastic at times... lots of weirdo Error #50XXX stuff, which I figured was Digi speak for 'The Artist was willing but the DAW couldn't give a f**k, sorry it didn't work out".

... and lately Word 2004 has been a SOB.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Mac OS 9 before 9.2 came out

Bias Peak 3

Anything Native Instruments Version 1 for Mac
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditherman View Post
Mac OS 9 before 9.2 came out

Bias Peak 3

Anything Native Instruments Version 1 for Mac
I can't even conceive of Bias Peak 3. That must have been a total nightmare.

We're laughing here in our control room, just thinking about it. Peak 3. Now there's a concept.

I'm tellin' you: using Peak 5.2 is like trying to make a car run with your feet, Fred Flintstone-style. Just a wretched, wretched mess.

- c
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

windows!!!!!! Long live machehhehheh Melodyne was pretty buggy 3.1 and back.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Virus Powercore - still can't use it but hoping a switch to desktop pc with high end firewire card will help.

i think it must be an Access thing as everything else on the Powercore is rock solid for me
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Logic 7.0 with the TDM engine before any of the updates.

Melodyne before 3.1 (as someone else said)

(Dis)honorable mention for guitar rig/guitar rig 2 in PT (in fact everything NI in the last year or so)
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Battery 3 before the updates
Windoes 98, and don't even mention ME
Old 16th August 2007
-Windows
-Any PC program
-iMovie
-ProTools
-Melodyne (not buggy, just bad design)
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

IK multimedia comes to mind

They make grat sounding stuff but many products cause lockups..this is not only one 1 machine either

Im sure there must be people who have no problems with them too.

ANY PC program Lagerfeldt? That is truly dumb
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

i'll have to say logic pro; even though it's stable, it has some of the weirdest & most frustrating bugs.

native instruments can be quite buggy too

everything else on my system seems to work pretty much perfectly
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
-Windows
-Any PC program
-iMovie
-ProTools
your karma is very negative :D

I agree on the windows thing.

besides that, cubase 4.0.0 was very buggy.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

One thing topped even Windows: the operating system of the TX16W hardware sampler by Yamaha. Beyond measure or description.

In modern days I'd say Adobe CS 1... applications crashing when doubleclicking and other funny things every hour or so.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Windows 98 what a disaster that was

Runner up Bias Peak
Old 16th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
your karma is very negative :D

I agree on the windows thing.

besides that, cubase 4.0.0 was very buggy.
Nah, I was just kidding, being the fanatic Mac fanboy I am.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

Cubase Audio - the version that ran with Digidesign Session 8 hardware. That sucked really bad and the setup (with a PowerMac 7100) cost more than a pretty decent new small car.

I might just go for a little cry now thinking back on that 'investment'...
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Early version of Wavelab, caused 5 fatal crashes, total system reformats/reinstalls. I hate Steinberg, they'll never have a place on any DAW of mine.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Creamware Scope DP. Took months to get our plugin synth "Syncrotron" somewhere near stable. But it was worth the work. Hans Zimmer used it extensively on "Black Hawk Down" and even named the longest track on the soundtrack after it, using & modulating a preset in that track
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

This thread is like the blues. It's only good when it's really, really bad. Keep it coming.

"Why?" you might ask.

Think of it this way: You get to (a) warn other people about your bad experience and (b) get it off your chest.

It sucks when software makes you suffer.

Me, I'm just glad every time someone mentions Peak. It makes me feel less alone...

- c
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

old versions of cubase running on windows. i don't know which was the bigger piece of junk - the PC or the software. It was awful. life was so much better after i finally had the dough to get myself a good mac and better software!
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've switched to MAC, but both Live and Cubase run better on the PC than on the MAC. It's quite annoying. I use bootcamp more than I'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
-Windows
-Any PC program
-iMovie
-ProTools
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Head

And I though I was the only one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardswag View Post
Cubase Audio - the version that ran with Digidesign Session 8 hardware. That sucked really bad and the setup (with a PowerMac 7100) cost more than a pretty decent new small car.

I might just go for a little cry now thinking back on that 'investment'...
Wow, I thought I was the one who got stuck with Cubase Audio for the S8! I bought it because I wanted to synch up a sequencer to the S8 software, and was told "oh yeah, you need Cubase Audio", so I popped for it. Besides there being a very steep learning curve, I found out that it of course replaced the S8 software altogether, taking over the hardware when run, but did a lousy job with the audio and routing and such. I called Steinberg USA to ask them how to run as a slave to S8, rather than it taking over the hardware and the rep gave me some serious lip about it... "WHY would you WANT to do THAT??!!" I tried using it seriously on a test session and couldn't even finish. The most annoying thing was that the mixer kept resetting to some weird default where the channel pans were set from left to right from 1 through 8, as in, 1 was hard left, 8 was hard right and gradually spread in between. BLAH! I ended up getting a cheapo $29 sequencer called (I think) Power Trax Pro from a tiny magazine ad, and it synched up to the S8 "shadow port" perfectly. That's all I really wanted, but no, I had to spend 6 or 700 bucks on that stupid Cubase Audio. I held a grudge for many years, but now I use SX, so I guess all is forgiven.

Thanks for letting me tell my tale of woe. I'll join you in that little cry now...

Pete

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search