The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buggiest software you've ever used? DAW Software
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Haha, oh wow, I'd forgotten about the Pro Tools FREE fiasco!! Running that on Win98 was absolutely laughable, totally unusable!!! Definitely the worst, EVER!

Cubase 4.1.3.853 has been running beautifully on my XP machine BTW.

Take Care,

M.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Maniac

I would say just about everything since GUI OS's became popular and huge suites of app and feature bloat.

I would say MS development tools. Not that they have the most bugs in number, but the bugs they have are the source of bugs in other programs including their own. MS tools manage memory horribly. Then all the features most that end up going unused they keep adding to programs to keep you upgrading all the time. They have to justify the cost of a upgrade so they keep adding features. Trouble is all the extra bloat programs are too big to QA completely and many of the new feature create side-effect bugs in the rest of the app.

It's a vicious cycle. Companies need your update money to stay in business so they keep adding more crap. Costumers want lower prices so companies keep cutting the budget for QA and support.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Windows ME and Cool Edit Pro 1 never got on together on my computer. Sometimes i'd click on button on Cool Edit, suddenly an error message would appear and the computer would re-boot.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Anything TC Electronic.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hane View Post
Windows ME and Cool Edit Pro 1 never got on together on my computer. Sometimes i'd click on button on Cool Edit, suddenly an error message would appear and the computer would re-boot.

That's funny, after my nightmare with Pro Tools Free, I tried Cool Edit and it worked perfectly for me...so I've stayed with it over the years and now have the latest version known as Adobe Audition 3.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbary Ape View Post
Anything TC Electronic.
I have a TC Electronic M300 reverb/ delay hardware unit that I think is great.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
I have a TC Electronic M300 reverb/ delay hardware unit that I think is great.
By this I mean their software products like Powercore and drivers for their interfaces. Very little can go wrong with their hardware units.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

more buggy programs...

Pro Tools FREE on Windows
Apple Macintosh System 7.x (I liked it for it's customizability, but it was buggy)
REAPER! on Windows 98 SE (I don't care what anybody says, it doesn't run on Windows 98 SE!)
Internet Explorer (any and all versions, any and all platforms)

I'd like to blame Cubasis VST also, but when I think about it, it was just some buggy VST's, not really Cubasis's fault. I got a lot of tunes done with that back in the day.
Old 17th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by joris de man View Post
Come on dude, now you're pushing the anti PC agenda a bit too much....tutt
I don't have an agenda, I'm stating my experiences.

@1 Windows is by far the most buggy piece of software I've encountered.
@2 ProTools crashes a lot - both in Windows and on Mac - but mostly in Windows.
@3 Cubase is actually more buggy on Mac than PC.
@4 WaveBurner is Mac only software.
@5 Melodyne ran on a Mac.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne View Post
That's funny, after my nightmare with Pro Tools Free, I tried Cool Edit and it worked perfectly for me...so I've stayed with it over the years and now have the latest version known as Adobe Audition 3.
It might have been Windows ME causing the problem. Of all the software i was using at the time, Cool Edit crashed so many times to the point where i brought Wavelab 4. When XP came out, the crashes disappeared.

I'm using Audition 3 as well, i prefer the UI to Wavelab and it has better restoration functions.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Cool Edit/Audition has always been a rock solid program for me, I never have problems with it.

ProTools M-Powered Demo wouldn't work on my computer either. So this is why I'm still with Audition. It works, and works very well for me.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

I have seen Windows listed a number of times as buggy. Or maybe just one person said it a number of times....

but what bugs does windows have? Every once in a while I'll have explorer disappear, but other than that I haven't had any issues. It just sits there and hosts the programs.

~Jay
Old 17th June 2008
Random crashes or shutdowns. Random freezes. Freezing when inserting USB key. Freezing when removing USB key. 300.000 viruses and malware forcing you to use anti-virus software and thinking twice about anything you receive or do on the internet - that's pretty buggy to me.

If you haven't experienced anything else than Explorer "disappearing" consider youself lucky.

Now, you *asked* and I answered. Maybe I'm a Mac-zealot - maybe I'm just an unlucky guy when it comes to Windows. ;-)
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

The buggiest software I've every used was the sequencer and sample editor in the Ensoniq EPS sampling workstation.

The number of times I lost stuff on that pile of dung.... didn't stop me getting the ASR-10 although I started sequencing on Cubase which was angelically behaved by comparison.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilco View Post
nTrack on Win98, wanted it to work, loved the features, but it was not happy with Win98 as a platform
That was pretty horrid. The only thing worse would have to be the initial versions of Giga Studio right after Giga Sampler.
Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
I have seen Windows listed a number of times as buggy. Or maybe just one person said it a number of times....

but what bugs does windows have? Every once in a while I'll have explorer disappear, but other than that I haven't had any issues. It just sits there and hosts the programs.

~Jay
With heavy internet use, Windows has a way of eroding over time, and gets clogged up with all kinds of stuff. This is why I like doing a fresh install about once a year or so. This seems to be true with XP and Vista. When it gets to the point that the Restore function doesn't work anymore, then it's time for a fresh install. My longest run without a fresh install was about 2 years with XP.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Random crashes or shutdowns. Random freezes. Freezing when inserting USB key. Freezing when removing USB key. 300.000 viruses and malware forcing you to use anti-virus software and thinking twice about anything you receive or do on the internet - that's pretty buggy to me.

If you haven't experienced anything else than Explorer "disappearing" consider youself lucky.

Now, you *asked* and I answered. Maybe I'm a Mac-zealot - maybe I'm just an unlucky guy when it comes to Windows. ;-)
I get using XP nothing like the amount of crashes i used to get using ME and if i do, it's caused by an application. I've had freezes pulling a USB memory stick on some PCs, but not on others or my own computers.

Macs have advantage, their imune from viruses, but if virus writers wanted to do an all out assault on Macs, they could in theory do more damage to them than to Windows users.
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
old versions of cubase running on windows. i don't know which was the bigger piece of junk - the PC or the software. It was awful. life was so much better after i finally had the dough to get myself a good mac and better software!
+100
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Windows ME
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Finale...whatever year you want to add.

If ever there was a software written by Rosemarys baby...this is it. The software from hell.
Old 18th June 2008
Gear Maniac

East West PLAY
Spectrasonics Atmosphere wrapper

What a jokes in the software industry!

Cubase 4 hasn´t been exactly picnic either!
Old 18th June 2008
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
o.s. 9 ... spent weeks of my life in the extension manager.

the combination of pro tools hd and logic 6 under dae = the craziest weird bugs and crashes. emagic blamed digidesign and digidesign blamed emagic.

OMG...I think I literally put the extensions manager out of my mind, you just brought up some horrible memories....turning those off and on and all the gueswork involved till you found the right one was total hell!!!!!
Old 18th June 2008

East West Play +1 - total rubbish, most of their stuff has pretty bad GUI design.

Virus TI used via the VST interface = disaster... you can be 99% into a project and the TI loses it... even brought new PC to try and fix it as the sounds were perfect.... keeps losing timing when used via VST and cannot be reset... had TI replaced, eventually sent back to turnkey in the UK that bust the following week - i was a lucky one!

Works fine VIA MIDI of course.....

TC Electronic = don't run from XP Laptop = fail - anything else works.

Wavelab 6 = no go with UAD/Duende batch processing.
Old 18th June 2008
Gear Maniac

PEAK

PEAK, all versions. terrible
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
The buggiest software I've every used was the sequencer and sample editor in the Ensoniq EPS sampling workstation.

The number of times I lost stuff on that pile of dung.... didn't stop me getting the ASR-10 although I started sequencing on Cubase which was angelically behaved by comparison.
Jeez, I remember that software, it used to crash on me all the time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm reviving this thread, because things have changed and I thought it was only fair to take note of it.

Since I posted in this thread my extreme dislike of Bias Peak, the president and staff at Bias has been in touch with us to inquire further about how they could improve their software to meet our needs. They actually read this thread and decided to act on it. I think that's admirable.

A flurry of email exchanges followed. They were courteous and responsive and they listened to us. They implemented almost all of our suggestions, fixed the bugs, improved the GUI dramatically. The result: Peak 6. Peak 6.02 is nearly flawless and I really can't recommend it more emphatically.

The company is to be given credit for responding honorably and precisely to our requests. Being a Mac-based independent audio software design company can't be easy in this day and age and (with Apple constantly "upgrading" OSX and moving the goalposts, etc.). I'm not sure I feel I should apologize, exactly --- Peak 5 was absolutely miserable and I think open, honest critique is a perfectly healthy aspect of free-market capitalism --- but I do feel I should go on record as retracting my former disparagement of the product. It's only fair.

Peak 6 is elegant, intuitive and amazing sounding. (Best SRC and dithering on the planet). We now rely on Peak as a final assembly software and we are a mastering studio who takes our work very seriously. Trust me, we're intense perfectionists and full-time working professionals (i.e. none of us have day jobs, etc.) so if it's good enough for us to rely on, it's probably good for you. Go get yourself a copy, I say.

I am not being compensated whatsoever for this endorsement and nobody at Bias asked me to do it.

If you read my comments earlier in this thread, you will see how harshly I used to feel. So it's a dramatic shift and it's worth taking note. Fair is fair.

- c
Very decent of you to add that, I thought.
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Maniac

OK...

I haven't tried Peak 6 because no one gave me a free copy to try out. That is the only way I would even dare consider it. I hoped against hope, version after version for a usable app and it never manifested. Finally went to a PC for mastering and haven't regretted it. Never seen sooooo many crashes.

Bill
Old 19th June 2008
mds
Lives for gear

Gigastudio 3.x...just terrible. Bias Peak is super buggy...
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Nut

Stacker 2.0 on my 1992 Packard Bell 486sx CPU...WORST IDEA EVER!
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

- Yamahas MLAN never worked
- Logic 7.0
Old 19th June 2008
Interesting post about Peak 6. It'll take a lot for me to consider spending any further money on Peak after the disaster that was 5.21 (both Pro & LE) but at the very least my ears are now open.

What I really needed from Peak was a good environment to build CDs in. Redbook with ISRCs and CD Text (where I didn't have to retype the same thing twenty times!) and Enhanced CDs with data portions.

iTunes won't do this, Peak 5.21 won't do this (without crashing), Toast 9 won't do this. I think it's time I switched to Wave Editor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search