The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Buggiest software you've ever used? DAW Software
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

presonus firestudio software interface is BUGGY.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

i remember using the first version of Cubase VST back in 1997 with what I believe was an Audiomedia 8 card running on a PowerMac 7100. Given our analog college studio at the time was 8 track RTR, having 16+ tracks of digital audio was rather amazing! And all those effects! Shame the reverbs sounded like tin cans though... we've come a long way since then.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yes Peak. Was so bad they actually gave me a refund. Think it was v3 as well. I went through 3 updates with it not doing what it should and had enough. I really wonder how the company keeps going.

2nd would be Cubase. The software they release so they can have new marketing hype with each new release. The software where you the user is the beta tester as we have not tested it as we rushed it out to do big spreads in all the mags about our new features. The features that will not work for at least 2 versions..
I always laugh when people down load x.0 software from steinberg. What are they stupid
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Buggiest software you've ever used?

Buggiest software i've ever used?.............

NI Kontakt
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

URS plugins ...

Everytime i use the scroll button on the mouse, it crashes the computer . no solution yet.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Peak vs. Cubase: two will enter, one will leave

So far, Peak and Cubase seem to be the contenders for the worst offenders.

I will say, in Peak's defense, that it has a terrific-sounding sample rate and 24-to-16-bit reduction algorithm. It's really the best out there, aside from some very expensive alternatives.

If only they could get the playlist editing and crossfading to... y'know... work.

- c
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Logic!

Pro & Express 7.0 & 7.1

Windoze Logic 4 & 5

This thing drives me batty. It plays the audio you recorded two passes ago. The waveform (& take) on the screen doesn't match the audio beiing heard. I've lost work in Logic. I don't trust it.

Dishonorable mention: PT M-powered 7

I switched to Samplitude after Apple ditched Logic for Windows and Vegas died as a viable audio application.

Samp 7 & 8 decidedly un-buggy
9 while useable is in danger of hitting the "almost most buggy list".
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I used Digital Performer in a commercial studio environment full time for well over five years. With the exception of a six-week run on 4.12, I'd say it crashed at least once every singe day of those five years. Sometimes a dozen times a day. For consistency over the years, OS's, and release versions, I'd have to give the award to DP.
Old 17th August 2007
Wow... reading this thread I realize I've been so incredibly lucky. (I'd cited a buggy graphics program from the early 90s for my bete noire above.)

In possibly closing in on a thousand (mostly small) audio projects and well over a hundred more demanding full projects over 11 years, I've only lost audio data a handful of times, probably count them on one hand.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

NAtive Instruments RTAS , Guitar Rig crashes Protools everytime you quit + All Thise Clicks and Pops (but not all the time) ... Is it a bug? oops I forgot that's part of the NI "sound"
Native Instruments RTAS = Unsuable
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

I remember almost killing myself trying to use Cakewalk and MME drivers many moons ago.
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

So far no Nuendo is mentioned. Must be OK then?

Anyway, I didn't like Cubase VST at all, horrible. Audio and midi where not syncing at all. Worked with a friend on Logic 7.0 for a while, totally crap. The recent versions of both are cool now.

Evaluating the years Steinberg will have a score on bug stuff. But, it doesn't say much neither. Important is what is doing fine now. Most, if not all, are good (enough) now until a new version is released...

Regards,

Roger
Old 17th August 2007
Lives for gear

Pro /Engineer
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

Bias Peak 6: actually quite good

I'm reviving this thread, because things have changed and I thought it was only fair to take note of it.

Since I posted in this thread my extreme dislike of Bias Peak, the president and staff at Bias has been in touch with us to inquire further about how they could improve their software to meet our needs. They actually read this thread and decided to act on it. I think that's admirable.

A flurry of email exchanges followed. They were courteous and responsive and they listened to us. They implemented almost all of our suggestions, fixed the bugs, improved the GUI dramatically. The result: Peak 6. Peak 6.02 is nearly flawless and I really can't recommend it more emphatically.

The company is to be given credit for responding honorably and precisely to our requests. Being a Mac-based independent audio software design company can't be easy in this day and age and (with Apple constantly "upgrading" OSX and moving the goalposts, etc.). I'm not sure I feel I should apologize, exactly --- Peak 5 was absolutely miserable and I think open, honest critique is a perfectly healthy aspect of free-market capitalism --- but I do feel I should go on record as retracting my former disparagement of the product. It's only fair.

Peak 6 is elegant, intuitive and amazing sounding. (Best SRC and dithering on the planet). We now rely on Peak as a final assembly software and we are a mastering studio who takes our work very seriously. Trust me, we're intense perfectionists and full-time working professionals (i.e. none of us have day jobs, etc.) so if it's good enough for us to rely on, it's probably good for you. Go get yourself a copy, I say.

I am not being compensated whatsoever for this endorsement and nobody at Bias asked me to do it.

If you read my comments earlier in this thread, you will see how harshly I used to feel. So it's a dramatic shift and it's worth taking note. Fair is fair.

- c
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Pro Tools Free

ProTools M-Powered demo

Norton AV

Cakewalk's Guitar Studio

Opcode's Vision programs for Mac and PC both.

Native Instruments keeps changing the activation procedure of their software, enough to drive me nuts.

Windows 98 & ME & Vista

Old 16th June 2008
I guess I've been really pretty lucky with audio software -- or maybe I'm just so ruthless about rejecting anything that is undependable.

I hate losing any work.

But losing my precious art... heh

There's no laughing about losing paying client's precious art, though!

When I was transitioning to DAW work in '97, I still had a few clients. I kept them on ADATs for a long time until I'd worked out all my DAW issues.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Head

My current pet peeve is Logitech Control Center, which crashes my mac regularly. I finally removed it but haven't found a good alternative.

I can understand bugs in a complicated codebase like Logic 8 or PT 7, but a simple app for a mouse shouldn't cause FREAKin' kernal panics!!!!
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Maniac

windows me

i am convinced that was the turning point for microsoft's development/marketing budget ratio
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Addict

Windows ME.

but 3.1, 95, 98, NT, XP, 2000... those are not so bad. Haha.
Actually I still prefer using 2000 if I need to use Windows OS.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Addict

The worst program I kept using was Cubase VST. Once I found an unauthorized demo of nuendo I immediately bought it and never touched Cubase again.

I have a Fujitsu laptop that has been rock solid for over 4 years now. It's a little underpowered now, but still very solid. A few years ago I installed GigaStudio. The laptop crashed soooo bad the the blue screen actually said that there may have been hardware damage! That was the end of that program.

Apple's soundtrack Pro 2. I could not work for more than a half hour on that without a lockup.

Most recently, Outlook 2007. I built a new PC over a month ago and there was an issue that I could not get resolved. The audio would get all choppy after the PC was running for a few hours. Now that I have stopped using Outlook 2007 my PC has been rock solid for 5 days now. My old PC would only get rebooted once a month. I was rebooting the new PC twice a day!

Fortunately now I don't have any software that is overly buggy. A program that is overly buggy would have to be pretty special for me to be willing to deal with bugs that hinder productivity.

~Jay
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesac81 View Post
windows me

i am convinced that was the turning point for microsoft's development/marketing budget ratio
Agreed! +100!!

(Actually any incarnation of Windows, but ME........wow, what a horrible disaster.)
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Antares Infinity - great application but unbelievably buggy. It would actually save over a sample, then close the file so that any form of undo wasn't possible.

They even had the galls to charge me for an update, in which this apparent bug was fixed, only to find out it was still there. And then they didn't upgrade it to OS X...aargh.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Addict

1. Syncrosoft License Control Center. It used to force me to re-install Windows once a month. Now I owe them my thanks because they taught me discipline in backing up my system drive.
2. (now guess how old I am): The drivers/SW of Terratec EWS64 (I never touched any Terratec gear after that experience)

As of Windows, I had 98SE first, then went to XP-SP2, and have rather few issues.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Nut

1. "guitar pro" on mac
2. m-audio firewire 1814 control panel (mac)
3. windows vista
4. os x leopard (till 10.5.3)
5. no software but i hate ".Mac" up- & download speeds in europe! it always reminds me of the modem-times
Old 16th June 2008
1. Windows (any version)
2. ProTools (especially on Windows)
3. Cubase
4. WaveBurner
5. Melodyne
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
1. Windows (any version)
2. ProTools (especially on Windows)
3. Cubase
4. WaveBurner
5. Melodyne
Come on dude, now you're pushing the anti PC agenda a bit too much....tutt
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Gigastudio...I had an NFR from them and never could get it to work.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

o.s. 9 ... spent weeks of my life in the extension manager.

the combination of pro tools hd and logic 6 under dae = the craziest weird bugs and crashes. emagic blamed digidesign and digidesign blamed emagic.
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Addict

MacDrive (version that comes with ProTools 7.4)

First time I used it - fried my drive "unmountable/not recognized". I bought Diskwarrior and it repaired it.

I reformatted/reinstalled and tried it again. It "wanted" to work, but froze. I wish it worked, but for me it just doesn't.

What could I be doing wrong? They won't provide support.

lD
Old 16th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Ahhhh... the horrors of Windows ME. I have tried to forget that week of my life. Not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesac81 View Post
windows me

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search