The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mod or upgrade delta 1010? Audio Interfaces
Old 15th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Mod or upgrade delta 1010?

Heya Slutz!

I'm upgrading many areas of my recording gear...

Currently using an old PIII box running PC Logic with Delta 1010.
Will be buying either a quad or dual system & switching to Samplitude.
The 1010 is also showing it's age but I just read about Black Lion mods.
I've done a lot of searching on the board & there's lots of posts talking about how great the 1010 mod is BUT I have yet to find a post comparing it to the more current cards like the Lynx Two for example. I'm wondering if modding the 1010 will bring it close to Lynx quality?? Or should I just forget the mod & buy a Lynx Two?

Thanks
Sean
Old 15th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
Heya Slutz!

I've done a lot of searching on the board & there's lots of posts talking about how great the 1010 mod is BUT I have yet to find a post comparing it to the more current cards like the Lynx Two for example. I'm wondering if modding the 1010 will bring it close to Lynx quality?? Or should I just forget the mod & buy a Lynx Two?

Thanks
Sean
i haven't heard about any mod but i'll tell you about my experience with the 1010. i really didn't like the Delta 1010, it could've been driver issues on the mac but if i turned the output up high enough, i could hear lots of low level noise and also some PSU related issue where when you move the mouse you get that static sound. there was also an issue with using the midi driver and i even tried a new unit,
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
Heya Slutz!

Thanks
Sean
I also have an old Delta 1010 that I use now with my new Live 6 DAW machine. Originally it was in a P3 running Cubase VST 5.

I was thinking about the BL route, but you still won't have mic pres (if you need them) or ADAT expansion. I would say go the FF400/800 route and sell the 1010 on ebay ($175 to $200 used). It isn't a bad card, but the analog front end isn't anything to write home about (BL fixes that), plus the converters are old news, but are still more than adequate.
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I've used the 1010 for about 5 years now & it's been pretty rock solid. The only issue I've had is intermittent distortion, like a dirty switch/pot on some of my in's. after talking with M-Audio, they said to send it in & they will replace the unit with a new one! How's that for service?? My only real complaint is that the 1010's sound quality is behind the times. For an experiment, I just tried using my old Tascam DA-30 MKII as a converter by going into the XLRs & then digi out of the Tascam into the digi in on the 1010 card. You know what? It sounds more open!! Much more detailed & less mid harshness that has really been getting to me lately! All these years & I never used it like that! I'm looking for a converter with no pre's. I was talking to BLA & they told me their mod will make it sound as good as a Rosetta! That would be sweet but I'm not sure if I believe that.

Cheers
Sean
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

i'd seriously consider Monkey Mouse suggestion of the fireface. in a shootout, RME converters seemed to be less coloured and seemed to give a truer representation of the input than the apogee.

i wanted to upgrade my MOTU but i really don't see any need. i don't think converters are as important as what some people make them out to be though i think there is a threshold you need to cross and i think the 1010 is below that threshold because i heard a significant improvement when i got my MOTU. you don't need to spend a fortune and maybe if you did you may be dissapointed by the minute difference it will make. you're in the right place though to ask for advice.

read the specific threads on the units
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

I used a 1010 for years and if I was laying down tracks fast everything got muddy REALLY quick. Something about the way it records......Hard to explain. By comparison my new Digi003 is almost too clean, pristine, and dynamic. Almost surgical. But that sound is a lot easier to fix ITB or with outboard pres than the muddy lofi sound my 1010 had.

I am using the same pres and outboard gear with the 003 and vs the 1010 it is day and night. I would spend at least a little more money and go beyond the Delta 1010s if you really want to do some semi-serious recording down the road.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks guys

Ya I think I'm just going to upgrade to something newer. I was looking into the Lynx stuff but apparently they have major issues with Samplitude. RME looks good for the dough and is recommended by Samplitude.

Cheers
Sean
Old 30th October 2011
Here for the gear

All I did was replace the PS caps in my Delta 1010 and I have a Rosetta and Presonus Firestudio Project installed right next to it and the 1010 is neck and neck with the Rosetta! The Rosetta BARELY had an edge over the 1010. Couldn't believe it! Presonus Firestudio Project... not even close! Returned that one today. Wonder if the 2626 sounds as good as a re-capped 1010?
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGtr View Post
All I did was replace the PS caps in my Delta 1010 and I have a Rosetta and Presonus Firestudio Project installed right next to it and the 1010 is neck and neck with the Rosetta! The Rosetta BARELY had an edge over the 1010. Couldn't believe it! Presonus Firestudio Project... not even close! Returned that one today. Wonder if the 2626 sounds as good as a re-capped 1010?
Could you give us more details of this?
MC

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 7th January 2012
Here for the gear

yes, more details please!!!
which caps for example did you use for replacing the old ones in the 1010?

thanks
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Nut

It's the large 1000 or 470uf caps near to the power regulators, the regulators produce a lot of heat and dry them out, reducing their capacitance. It's far too cramped in there!
Old 19th March 2012
Did you replace them with stock parts??

Very interested in doing this here!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search