The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stock Pro Tools HD Vs. Mytek Pro Tools LE
Old 11th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
Stoneface - I hope you can somehow find peace and happiness in your lives..... you both clearly aren’t very happy people now. So much anger and aggression.... it must be very tiring for the people around you.
I'm sorry you felt my responses were filled with anger and aggression. I sure didn't see it that way or intend it that way. I live in South Florida bro...I'm always happy! heh

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Mixes do sound better on HD. If you want proof...try mixing on both systems and see if they are the same. If you haven't done an A/B, I don't see how you could have an honest belief that it's false. I have....so have many others and this topic has been covered numerous times.
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow - jslevin and Stoneface clearly aren’t listening to me, so this post is not for them, but for any ‘newbie’ that might benefit from some clear headed truths:

Is the ADC in ProTools HD a useful thing? Yes.
Is it worth having, if you can afford it? Yes.
Does it make life simpler? Yes.
Does ADC actually improve the actual sound of the mix buss (or mixer) - when mixing ITB - all other things aside? NO.
To all "newbies looking for clearheaded truths" ... do yourselves a favor and ignore this guy. It is true that bits are bits, and in the digital realm, tape is tape is tape. But not all mix engines are created equal, and the equivalency of the storage medium does not make for an equally good mixing system.

If you're looking for high-end mix quality, need to use lots of routing and inserts and absolutely can't get access to an HD system, then you absolutely should be using another DAW other than Pro Tools LE, one with a sophisticated ADC implementation. To suggest otherwise is just asinine. You can probably find 10,000 pages of "Pro Tools vs. the world" arguments here, but few if any other users are trying to make this ridiculous argument.

Quote:
Oh yeah - jslevin and Stoneface - I hope you can somehow find peace and happiness in your lives..... you both clearly aren’t very happy people now. So much anger and aggression.... it must be very tiring for the people around you.
Oh, I see -- you're one of those "insult people and then leave a peace symbol" people. Awesome. You know nothing about my happiness or Stoneface's, yet you choose to post about it anyway. This is no surprise, given that you do the same thing with respect to digital recording.

I'd ask you to skip the psychoanalysis, but it seems less destructive than the misinformation you'd otherwise be spreading.

JSL
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
(snip)....But not all mix engines are created equal.... (snip)....
JSL
As I keep trying to make clear, (and you keep ignoring what I’m clearly saying) - I’m NOT talking about routing and inserts or ADC. Simply mix engine sound quality. You seem so convinced that LE sounds much worse than TDM - I’m asking you to present your evidence, and convince me. (and the original poster - who’s question relates to this)

Prove to me (and everyone reading this thread) that the HD-TDM mix engine sounds significantly better than ProTools LE.
Old 12th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Originally Posted by jslevin
It is not my job to prove digital recording 101 to you. I am not teaching remedial music production here. This is the High End forum, for crying out loud. Do some basic homework and educate yourself, then come back and discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Someone calm him down, please !...
yeah, forReals!
Old 12th August 2007
Gear Addict

Even IF the mix engines in Protools HD & Protools LE are better or worse than

each other , when PT 7.4 comes out in the next month or two with a brand new mix

engine ... all this could very well be irrelevant ...
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

i dont see what the big deal is, if its better, good, if not so? A mix is a mix is a mix, use what you got and be done, im sure i can pull off a decent mix with my delta 44 converters laying around here somewhere, but im not
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

Mixer Guy you keep asking for us to show you the difference actually significant difference! The thing is it's not a huge difference but to some its aduible and enough to make LE Unbearable ! We are talking sonic preception here to some a Cheap Chines Clone is Clsoe enough to a U47 to others its the real thing or nothing! Why oh why can't we apply the same sonic standerds of refrence to digital wht must every percieved difference when it comes to digital bey numericlly proven!
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Prove to me (and everyone reading this thread) that the HD-TDM mix engine sounds significantly better than ProTools LE.
Just because you say it needs to be proved doesn't make it so. You want to create a debate or a controversy where there isn't one. It's a waste of time.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread now. Bye.

JSL
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

unsubscribing is not the thing to do - guys show us the huge or small or whatever difference in the mix engine of HD vs Le - that's all and I think if someone has a ITB mix lying around it's no big deal and very fast done.

Jo
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

Bring your LE project to an HD studio and see/hear the light for yourself!!!

Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

funny on GS nobody wants to back up his claims - strange isn't?

Jo
Old 12th August 2007
Lives for gear

I recently switched from LE to HD, and I have to say, that I don't find any sonic differences between the 2. When I made the switch, I was using a Rosetta as my AD/DA for both LE and HD. I've since moved over the Lynx Aurora. However, when I was using the Rosetta, it was comparing converters apples to apples obviously. There are many great reasons to go HD over LE, but sound is not one of them. ADC, well it's automatic transmission vs. standard. The big advantage for me, is zero latency (Can you say Reamp), use of external effects, for me, that is compression, tons of tracks, STABILITY, did I say STABILITY. I love HD, but would not recommend the jump to everyone. If you can afford it, then buy it. If you can't, then buy great pre's, great mics, and great AD/DA, and work on your patience and you can achieve outstanding results.

I would not use LE on anything less than a MacPro though…….
Old 13th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
Neither are considered premium converters
JSL
Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit
Old 13th August 2007
Lives for gear

so why doesnt someone do a Mix in LE, a mix in HD, bounce to disk on both and see if they null out when phase inverted? that should be proof there at least that they sound different!
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt82aust View Post
so why doesnt someone do a Mix in LE, a mix in HD, bounce to disk on both and see if they null out when phase inverted? that should be proof there at least that they sound different!
look here

a comparison: mix engine of ProTools LE vs HD-TDM

heh
Old 14th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
nice one! i love it!
To be honest, in the studio i work at, i have access to 2 different rooms, a G5 / HD accel, and a Mac Pro / LE room (w/ DV Toolkit). I love my LE room, it really does fly, and i have never felt limited by it, or that the work i do is suffering due to working on a native based system.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I have a small LE (Mbox 2 Pro) rig at home. I also work at a commercial studio in the Philly suburbs with HD. There is no doubt mixing itb in HD sounds better than LE to me. I am doing a record at home with a band right now using my trusty MX-2424 to track, then doing all of my editing and mix prep in LE, then you can bet I am doing the final mix in HD.

Steven
Jealousy Curve
MySpace.com - Jealousy Curve (Black Widow Video The Silo 8/16!) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/jealousycurve
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fash View Post
I have a small LE (Mbox 2 Pro) rig at home. I also work at a commercial studio in the Philly suburbs with HD. There is no doubt mixing itb in HD sounds better than LE to me. I am doing a record at home with a band right now using my trusty MX-2424 to track, then doing all of my editing and mix prep in LE, then you can bet I am doing the final mix in HD.

Steven
Jealousy Curve
MySpace.com - Jealousy Curve (Black Widow Video The Silo 8/16!) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/jealousycurve
are you just using the Mbox's converters? if that is the case there is no doubt that the HD system will sound better. This year old thread was about using PT LE with kick ass converters. I don't care what people say about Pro Tools HD sounds better (not talking about the converters, talking about the software). Put a Great engineer on an LE system with Mytek converters, then put a mediocre engineer on a HD system with the 192 converters. Who's mix is going to sound better?
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneface View Post
For tracking purposes, you definately can compete with the HD interfaces. The mytek sounds better IMO. However, don't confuse being able to compete with HD on a mix level. Tracking is the only place where this is possible. But for those that want to track high quality audio files in LE and then mix on HD, that would be an excellent way to go and again I too believe it would sound better than the Digi interfaces.

How about not mixing with the LE engine but on a mixer?
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

<< when PT 7.4 comes out in the next month or two with a brand new mix engine ... all this could very well be irrelevant >>

?????

Just because they added Elastic Audio? Anybody think 7.4 has changed the overall sound of PT? Seems like an odd statement.

Now that it has been out for almost a year, is there any truth to the fact that 7.4 sports a "brand new MIX engine"?
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

I guess I'm a crackhead and clueless, on my mixes, I can't hear any difference between LE and HD when tracked on the same converters and using the same DA to mix. I go back and forth all the time, and never notice any difference, other than the fact that RTAS plugs clip much faster in HD than they do in LE.
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
<< when PT 7.4 comes out in the next month or two with a brand new mix engine ... all this could very well be irrelevant >>

?????

Just because they added Elastic Audio? Anybody think 7.4 has changed the overall sound of PT? Seems like an odd statement.

Now that it has been out for almost a year, is there any truth to the fact that 7.4 sports a "brand new MIX engine"?

Sound the same to me so far. I hear no change
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Addict

Man....

That JSLEVIN dude was wound up pretty tight...

Haven't seen someone get worked up that much over what equates to nothing for a while.

Meltdown on isle 4...

Fun to read though

Hope he comes back
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can't say why this came up in my 2020 search, but hindsight tells us that everything is floating point and at one point LE sounded slightly better than TDM.

Funny how our biases play into our perception.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You guys are bickering and the OP's question has been lost.

So:
- Mytek converters are very very nice and WILL give you professional results (if everything else coming in is done right as well)
They are better quality then converters provided on Digidesign/Avid products, but also not the only option.

- Pro Tools LE is not a professional DAW and has too many limitations in many areas (but can surely give you great results if you keep it simple)

- It is very easy to verify summing engine quality and the topic has been beaten to death...
Bounce/null test etc....This is science not vanity fair.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
You guys are bickering and the OP's question has been lost.

So:
- Mytek converters are very very nice and WILL give you professional results (if everything else coming in is done right as well)
They are better quality then converters provided on Digidesign/Avid products, but also not the only option.

- Pro Tools LE is not a professional DAW and has too many limitations in many areas (but can surely give you great results if you keep it simple)

- It is very easy to verify summing engine quality and the topic has been beaten to death...
Bounce/null test etc....This is science not vanity fair.
Bickering? It's a thread from 2007. Pro Tools went to Floating point for all systems and LE was the first system to go there. (though they didn't advertise it.)

Pro Tools LE not a "professional" DAW? Better recall all those records made in LE over the years.

Seriously you're still making this argument in 2020? Science not vanity fair? I'm not going to even tough that. It's insane given what we know in 2020.
📝 Reply