The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
.omf issues. Or cross platform file tranfer issues. Or DVD burning issues. Not sure.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Nut

.omf issues. Or cross platform file tranfer issues. Or DVD burning issues. Not sure.

Any help on this would be really great.

Transferring session from Cubase on Win XP to Pro Tools on Mac OSX. After some issues the studio was able to export the Cubase sessions to OMF files, which were then burned onto DVD+R's. Now that I'm trying to copy the files over to my Mac, this is what is happening.

First off, the folders on the DVD containing the .omf files register as over 1 Gig. HOWEVER, the .omf files themselves seem to range between 4mb and 10mb.

While the folder shows only 3-5 .omf files (one for each take), when I start copying the folder over to my Mac, it says there are over 200 files to copy.

Almost immediately after the copying starts, I get the message:

You cannot copy "fakesongname take 1.omf" to the destination because its name is the same as the name of an item on the destination, except for the case of some characters.

After that it stops copying, and the only file that makes it to my Mac is a single .omf file.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the .omf's, the DVD's, cross platform issues, or what. It looks like either that data's there in some way, or it's issues with the DVD not being read right. Both me and the engineer doing the transfers from Cubase are pretty stumped, so if anyone's got any ideas we'd really appreciate it.
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

Consolidate the entire session to 0 and export all tracks from Cubase.

Then import into PT.

Works EVERY time. No surprises.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Nut

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Cubase but is exporting the session to "0" an option he should know about?

Before we were trying to export each session as a whole (without splitting takes), but Cubase would crash at 99% when exporting. When we split it up into smaller .omf files (each take as it's own .omf), it worked fine so we assumed it was a file size issue.
Old 9th August 2007
Lives for gear

You might need to get a new firewire drive, and format it with the option for 'case sensitive file names.' By default, OS X is not case sensitive, but you can set it up to be.

Gear Tramp is referring, I think, to exporting the files as .wav files, rather than OMF. When transferring tracks, I usually do something along these lines. You can do it several different ways, depending on whether you want the raw tracks, or the tracks post-processing.

If you do a search on exporting individual tracks, you should find a lot of info.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Nut

We're talking about exporting the actual .wavs, it'd just be a really time consuming task considering how many overdubs there are.

The case sensitive thing weirds me out, because I don't see how there could be 200+ files in the folder while I only see 5.
Old 9th August 2007
Gear Nut

Okay, I should have thought of this earlier.

I booted my MacBook Pro into XP, and in XP it reads the .omf files as the correct sizes. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of space allocated for XP (with Windows installed I have less that 1.5 gigs free). So, worst case scenarios is that for each individual file I need to boot into XP, copy one or two over, and then boot up into OSX and copy it over into my Mac drive (because XP can't access it), and repeat the process...oh, about 30 times.

I'm curious as if this issue has to do with options when burning the DVD roms, or options I can set in OSX, or whatever.

Grr.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Consolidating (I don't know what the term is in Cubase) to the beginning of the session "0" turns all the edits into one file per track which can then be exported as WAV and imported.

You should be able to do this in one command to all tracks at once.

It is absolutely the fastest way of transferring sessions INTO PRO TOOLS, in my experience. Digitranslator isn't worth it. If you insist on using OMF, good luck.
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

Do you have, or can you borrow, a Firewire Drive? If you get a new one, you can format it so that XP can access it, and OS X should be able to as well. Not sure if that would solve your problem, though.

In Cubase, you can create export .wav. files pretty easily. You need to make sure that each track has a little blank audio file at the beginning, and that they all start exactly at zero. Then, select everything, and bounce the tracks. That will create contiguous files for all of the tracks in the audio folder of the project. Now, go into that folder and sort by creation date. The newly bounced tracks will all be at the top (or bottom, I suppose.) I'm not sure about windows, but on Mac, they are named based on the tracks names. Works, though you don't get any eq, or effects. I think you could do something similar by Freezing the tracks, which would get the eq and effects, but I haven't tried that.

PS

I think that if you select all of the channels, you do an Export Selected Tracks, it should create processed tracks for each channel, not sure though...
Old 10th August 2007
Lives for gear

macs dont work with DVD +R. interesting u got it to work that far. mac will handle DVD-R.

cubase should do a "export all tracks" . if not youll have to consolidate or "glue" all the regions of one track starting from bar1.
and repeat for every tracks.

if the regions dont start form bar 1 just create a blank region and put it at the start and then consolidate or glue the regions.

i attached how a OMF should look. it should like a PT session in the sense that the OMF file will be a "map" for the audio files in PT and the audio files would be in a folder.
Attached Thumbnails
.omf issues. Or cross platform file tranfer issues. Or DVD burning issues. Not sure.-picture-1.png  
Old 10th August 2007
Gear Nut

AH, that explains it. Well, I'm halfway through with transferring the files the hard way (So, so tedious) so no reason to make him burn it all over again.

I've read that ProTools handles .omf files that contain all session data better than .omf files that point to session data. For that reason we didn't do the version of .omf files that your pic shows, and instead I've got these 500mb+ .omf's for each take. Otherwise, I would have much rather have had the .omf files pointing to data and containing all takes for each song, instead of having a different session for each take, as I do now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search