The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 10 Audio Worksation build and tweak guide
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➡️
Pete, thanks for this thread.

Absolute gold here. Although I do need to uninstall Windows now and start again in order to disable the onboard video/graphics but it will be worth it
Normally can be done in bios settings.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
Normally can be done in bios settings.
Yes very true but as Pete says, this should be done prior to installing Windows so that it only creates entries for what is necessary. In reality it likely only makes marginal difference but I’d prefer to do it now when it’s still possible.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEA ➡️
Hi Pete,

Thanks again for writing this Guide!

I have a question regarding the wisdom (or lack thereof) of cloning drives when building a *new DAW system:

I have a new Win 10 Pro 64bit AMD Based DAW System, all configured with the Music software I want, updated to the latest Winver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.906).
It has a ASRock X570 Creator motherboard with a Ryzen 3950X CPU. This is my current studio workstation.

I just bought parts for a second system: Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P motherboard and a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU. My intention for this at the moment is as a secondary, somewhat experimental system.

I read an article somewhere (but can't find the link at present) regarding the possibility of cloning my main C Drive and popping it in the new system. Then presuming an internet connection, Windows would notice the new mobo and cpu, download the drivers (or I could manually install them) it needs, ask for a new authorization key of Win 10 Pro and I could go about re-authorizing all my music software licenses as well

In this fantasy, I could save myself hours of work and not have to re-install buckets of plugins and programs

I have successfully cloned many an OS Drive before - usually to move to a bigger drive or a faster SSD. I even created a dual boot Win 10 Pro email computer that my wife and I share. However I have never tried this "cloning a DAW" scenario before and was hoping you could advise?

Perhaps a clean fresh install, then "migrating programs and documents" is an alternative to consider?

I realize that third-party plugins and music software programs are a separate consideration. My main question concerns how Windows handles such a situation?

Cheers
In theory, it will all just work after a reboot or two. But if you are planning to experiment on the new system and figure out if it's good for DAW use, or if certain config things are relevant, I wouldn't start it off in this way.

If it's just a system to play with, and you won't be measuring success/failure on it, then give it a shot.

Finally, keep in mind that there are application and Windows licensing / activation considerations here.

Pete
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ Psychlist1972 , very nice and many thanks. One thing I have wondered about is the value of deleting unused device drivers. Maybe a few hardware generations ago, I read about how device drivers can share an interrupt. They would maybe be chained and each one would query its device to see if it was the one that generated the interrupt. Obsolete thinking now?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
@ Psychlist1972 , very nice and many thanks. One thing I have wondered about is the value of deleting unused device drivers. Maybe a few hardware generations ago, I read about how device drivers can share an interrupt. They would maybe be chained and each one would query its device to see if it was the one that generated the interrupt. Obsolete thinking now?
If the device isn't discovered on the system, the driver won't be loaded, so no allocation will happen.

The reason I advocate for disabling things in the BIOS instead of just in Windows, is two-fold.

1. Guarantee they won't re-enable after an update. Windows generally sees disabled devices as an error on the system, and helpfully (for most people) assumes that if you have it, you probably want to use it.

2. Give the system the best chance to allocate resources, up-front. If you have enabled and installed devices, they will be in the pool when allocations are decided. Some of those are permanent allocations (registry etc.). If those resources aren't available to other devices at the time allocations are sorted, and those devices get stuck sharing, you end up with a sub-optimal configuration, even after later disabling the device in Windows. This becomes less of an issue as we continue to move to more modern devices and connectivity approaches, but it's something I still follow.

As to how interrupts are processed - I really don't know the specifics there. It's going to depend a lot on how the device is connected and what it's trying to do. PCIe, for example, doesn't generally use interrupts in the classic CPU interrupt sense*, but is serial message based. The system knows which device generated it.

* I'm not sure how many PCIe cards today use the classic wire interrupt signals vs. the packet-based "interrupts", so don't take this as gospel as it may turn out that most PCIe devices today use INTx vs MSI. Not what I have come to understand, but also not my area of expertise.

Pete
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I won’t try and understand the device driver internals anymore. Thx for the info on driver loading.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Pete,

I have a question in reference to this sentence:

“ In my personal experience, sticking with Intel, Realtek, and other standard LAN ports on motherboards is preferable to some of the gaming-focused options”

On my motherboard (Asus X299) I have both an Intel LAN port and a Aquantia 5G LAN port. Given I only need one, I’ve already disabled the Intel in the BIOS. This decision was based on the fact the manual quoted hugely increased data rates for the Aquantia.

Are you saying I should have gone with the Intel instead? Keep in mind DAW performance is the only priority on this machine and won’t ever be used for gaming.

Or do I misunderstand you? Thanks.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what do you have that can talk to it at 5gig?
Old 19 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Pete,

“ In my personal experience, sticking with Intel, Realtek, and other standard LAN ports on motherboards is preferable to some of the gaming-focused options”

On my motherboard (Asus X299) I have both an Intel LAN port and a Aquantia 5G LAN port. Given I only need one, I’ve already disabled the Intel in the BIOS. This decision was based on the fact the manual quoted hugely increased data rates for the Aquantia.

Are you saying I should have gone with the Intel instead? Keep in mind DAW performance is the only priority on this machine and won’t ever be used for gaming.

Aquantia is absolutely fine as well.
I use mine on a X570 creator
Pete was referring to Killer nics (IMHO)
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser ➡️
Aquantia is absolutely fine as well.
I use mine on a X570 creator
Pete was referring to Killer nics (IMHO)
Ok great, thanks for the info.
Old 4 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi Pete,

I have no experience with Aquantia. If they have any sort of app for acceleration, be wary.

Killer is the one that, well, kills audio perf in my personal experience.

Remember, most anything that is not audio-related and is being accelerated in some way potentially takes away from audio performance.

This claim about their 10Gb product cracks me up, though:
Quote:
10 GbE Networking & Thunderbolt 3
Get state-of-the-art connectivity - smooth video streaming, better gaming experience, and fewer dropped connections - with the high performing bandwidth of AQUANTIA 10 GbE LAN and Intel Thunderbolt 3.
Unless you're streaming / gaming just from/within your local network, with another device that also has 10GbE, you're not going to see any perf boost.

Well, unless you have 10Gb outside connection, to a good trunk.

And dropped connections really have nothing to do with your NIC speed these days.

Pete
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My cable provider is giving me 84 Mbps in today's test, so I could get by with 100Mbs ethernet, if I have my units of measure correct. My router has nominal 1Gb input and output ports as do all of my in house switches. Its so inexpensive, so why not. I am not entirely convinced I would notice any difference were my home network 100gb. My big data transfers are to my NAS, but that has spinning platters, so I bet the disk is keeping it from doing 1gb speed data transfers.

Good point, Pete, on the misleading advertising. Overall network speed is limited by the slowest device in the path. I am puzzled at what folks at home expect to gain from 5-10 gig nics. This is getting into the realm where the hosts on the network are not able to send or receive data at these speeds. Also, were one to get a nice 5gb data stream going, would not the network card put a big load on the system, use much of the CPU attention? Glad to be educated, but skeptical until I hear more.
📝 Reply