The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

Yamaha n Series

The Yamaha n Series combines Cubase AI (Advanced Integration) software with a 8 or 12 channel Firewire studio mixer to create a complete computer recording system with the ease of analog and the power of digital. The seamless integration of hardware and software finally makes computer recording as simple as dedicated hardware units including dedicated transport, track select and rec ready buttons. Yamaha’s discrete class A mic preamps, Rev X reverb, digital EQ and Sweet Spot compression ensure the highest audio quality. The n series lets you control your entire studio providing independent headphone mixes The n12 also includes talkback , monitor speaker selection and control including 5:1 systems.

• 12/8 Input Channels with 8/4 channels of Discrete Class A Mic Preamps
• Built-in 3 band 18 db EQ and Sweet Spot™ Compression on every channel
• Perfect Monitoring with Rev-X Reverb and independent headphone buss
• Total Studio Control with Talkback(n12), Source and Monitor Speaker selection
• 48 Channel CUBASE AI software with special N Series integration features
• Direct Buttons for control of Cubase transport, Track Select, Dry/Wet Monitor and more

For More Information n Seires

n12 MSRP 1799.00 US
n8 MSRP 1299.00 US

Available August 2007
Old 11th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

George, looks like a winner for small and home studios.

When does it ship?

War
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

August
Old 11th July 2007
Gear maniac

Defintely looks interesting!
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

nice looking product, any way it will integrate with other DAW'S? and will it ever come with something like the mackie XT's for more faders?
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

1: Will it integrate with other DAWs. Yes of course, but not as deeply as with Cubase. You must think of the n Series as an Analog appoach. No motorized faders, no scene memories. It's really an "organic" approach to the computer. We find it most refreshing. Yet, with Cubase you can use these "work modes" that REALLY speed up the workflow. Since Cubase AI come with it free, you can easily track into Cubase and then transfer the wave files to any DAW for mixing. All the connections, routing, transport, monitoring connection is already set up so it's a no-brainer to use it.
In terms of the Control stuff for other DAWs start,stop, FF, REWind and Rec are all implemented. Here is a link to the manual download page for more detail.

2: Can you add more faders?

In the future, you will be able to connect up mutiple n series to have more mix-down channels or more tracking preamps , etc. Since the faders are not controllers, it would be better to use a USB control surface.
The audio signal path is SO QUIET that motorized faders would ruin the pristine specs of these units

n Series Manual

hope this helps.

In the future, we will discuss this new paradigm Hardware Integration, Vs Hardware Automation. Both are useful and serve as different tools. That's why we make the O series and the n Series. It's easy to remember the difference if you think Aut-O-mation and iN-tigration

the n is awesome when you interact with the computer and the O is great when you do many repeatative tasks such as live sound and facility projects. Many believe Home studios and small project studios tend to be more intimate and lend themselves to a more Organic approach.
Old 12th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey George,
I loved the preamp and converters in the the i88x mlan interface but the drivers were a nightmare for me. How would the preamps and converters in the n series compare? If they are the the same if not better I would definetly give it a try. ( On a side note would you guys have anything in a rackmount audio interface in the works?)
Thanks
Old 12th July 2007
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I guess Mlan is well and truly dead then?
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

They should release a pro controller for Cubase/Nuendo instead!
(no, without a digital or analog mxier included)
Old 12th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
They should release a pro controller for Cubase/Nuendo instead!
(no, without a digital or analog mxier included)
go for it Yamaha! Something between Mackie Control and Pro Control is THE thing we all are waiting for!!!
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the answers

i totally agree, some company is going to make a fortune if they do a controller with 24 faders for all DAW's. in the 1500 dollar or so range ala Tascam us-2400

but this is a step in the right direction having this integration. i like how this looks
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

looks very nice
This and an iMac could be a great smaller setup for $2000...
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqverb View Post
Hey George,
I loved the preamp and converters in the the i88x mlan interface but the drivers were a nightmare for me. How would the preamps and converters in the n series compare? If they are the the same if not better I would definetly give it a try. ( On a side note would you guys have anything in a rackmount audio interface in the works?)
Thanks

1: The pre-amp are a great deal better.
2: We never discuss future products tutt
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post
I guess Mlan is well and truly dead then?
No mLAN for XP is working well
a New mLAN Driver for OSX legacy products at the end of july
Sometime later there will be a mLAN driver to connect both n Series and older mLAN
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
go for it Yamaha! Something between Mackie Control and Pro Control is THE thing we all are waiting for!!!

Good feedback, I'll pass it on
Old 12th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post

YES! a DIGI 003/PT 7 KILLER...with native compatibility and add on extenders like Mackie Control would be sweet!.

This is obviously a huge market YAMAHA/CUBASE would RULE! thumbsup
Old 12th July 2007
Gear Nut

This thread begs for a question regarding integration with Nuendo!
Old 12th July 2007
What will be the list price?
So, finally a console where we can have the audio back from the DAW into separate channels.
Will we be able to compress and EQ the playback from the DAW? Will this function work with any DAW or Cubase only?
Anyway to put the EQ pre compressor???
I see there is a AD just after the insert point. Are we talking about a digital console, where the summing happens digitally or is it analog summing?
Thanks!
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe1972 View Post
This thread begs for a question regarding integration with Nuendo!
We'll get back to you when there is a complete answer on Nuendo 4. In terms of Nuendo 3 no . More info will follow.
Old 12th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync View Post
1: The pre-amp are a great deal better.
2: We never discuss future products tutt
Thanks for the response is it safe to say the converters are also a "great deal better" ?
Old 12th July 2007
Lives for gear

What will be the list price?
n12 1799.00 MSRP US
n8 1299.00 MSRP US

So, finally a console where we can have the audio back from the DAW into separate channels.
Will we be able to compress and EQ the playback from the DAW?

Yes There are some quicktime movies of the n in action at n Series

Will this function work with any DAW or Cubase only?

As far as using the compressor, EQ and Rev X Reverb, you can use it with any DAW,
Inserting the DAW's VST effects is a unique feature between the n Series and Cubase

Anyway to put the EQ pre compressor???
I see there is a AD just after the insert point. Are we talking about a digital console, where the summing happens digitally or is it analog summing?

Not on the "Live analog input but you can use the excellent channel strip EQ in Cubase and then use the compressor on the n mixer. There is a block diagram of the signal flow on the web site n Series

Although, the n series is not an analog console, it looks, feels and sounds analog with some cool workflow enhancements that could only be implemented in a digital mixer.

You will definately have to hear this mixer. You will then draw your conclusions about mic pre "airiness" overall "Musicality" of sound. It has consistently impressed those few of us that have some "hand-on" with it.
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

have to say... i really like the idea Yahama is running with here... attention to features and sound quality...most companies would put motorized faders on it just to say they are there...

any timeframe for the added function of casading the n12/n8 ?

would one monitor/master section take over? if so ... user selectable?

would consider this for a portable rig once this function has been implemented..

cheers Geosync
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

any timeframe for the added function of casading the n12/n8 ?

No, not yet and I believe they will be more of a parallel connection, than cascading.

would one monitor/master section take over? if so ... user selectable?
If I understand this question the answer is very basic.
Since the monitors are simply a function of output selection, you can just select whatever
output you want from the DAW.

Right now, we'll be focusing on getting the single units out.
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

I must hand it to Yamaha. I think this is one of the first products I've seen that is really going in the right direction as far as digital and analog integration, while being targeted at people that don't have $20k+ to spend on this type of interface. I would love to see Yamaha take this idea the next couple steps and come up with something that is more geared towards the professional user with a studio for hire. Something that takes into account that those users may have high end converters, and outboard preamps, EQ's, compressors, etc. And 24 channels of course. Just give us a way to seemlessly integrate our racks of outboard with Cubase/Nuendo and the cool analog-style tracking/monitoring functionality for a reasonable price and I think you'll have a winner. The basic concept looks very promising though. Now kick it up a notch. thumbsup

Brad
Old 13th July 2007
Gear maniac

i wish the DAW outputs were part of the output matrix, rather than hung off of the inputs. i'd like to be able to do a mix minus or at least have it be channel selectable.

it's pretty feature rich otherwise
Old 13th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Old 13th July 2007
Jai guru deva om

That's MAP price, everyone will list that price when these are out.

War
Old 13th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
That's MAP price, everyone will list that price when these are out.

War
Damn War... Nothing get's past you. heh
Old 13th July 2007
Gear nut

I heard something about a Yamaha/Nuendo fully integrated DAW....
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclust View Post
i wish the DAW outputs were part of the output matrix, rather than hung off of the inputs.
When you say DAW outputs do you mean n series direct out --> DAW or
DAW--> n Channel input?

Either way : From page 15 of the manual
n Series Manual

[REC] switch and [ST] switch
These switches route the signal to the specified
buses. Turn the [ST] switch on (the LED lights up) to
route the channel signal to the stereo L/R buses.
Turn the [REC] switch on to route the channel signal
to the REC (L/R) buses.

So you have a choice.

The direct out are always on PLUS you have the REC Bus and ST Bus selectable per channel

An example of use is a live recording of a small group. Direct out (Digital) to the Main ST to Front OF House and Aux out for monitor mix. Since the Direct outs are pre fader any change in the FOH or Monitor mix would not effect the recording.

Using the REC or ST bus is also available post fader

The n12 has 16 IN/Outs over 1394
the n8 has 12 In/Outs

Hope this helps
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search