The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 15th December 2008
  #1831
Lives for gear
 

MIDI playback on n12

Guys,

I'm a MIDI noob so be patient/

I've hooked up my Alesis keyboard and it's sending data and I can record data, but I have no playback. Any of you guys using MIDI? How do you hear your playback? The setup was easy in Cubase because it recognized my keyboard.

Thanks!
Old 15th December 2008
  #1832
Gear Nut
 
terence's Avatar
 

Thanks Mick - and sorry for the delay in replying. Yes - I followed your guidelines which were spot on. In fact the more I've been digging into this great piece of equipment I've had to re-organize my synapses. It's just a different work-flow. But you really do have to take time sit down with the manual and schematics.

Regards,
Terence


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmacguy View Post
Hey Terence

The CR headphone jack is intended for monitoring your mix through headphones, not for vocal or other overdubs. You should be using the aux out for a headphone mix. This way you can give the singer whatever they like in the headphones for a mix, without messing up your mix in the control room. Even if the singer is actually in the control room, why change your mix if you don't have to? Set up a mix with the aux send on each track.

Use the DAW to AUX knob at the right top of the N12 (or N8) to send the DAW output to the AUX out. Carefully watch both that level and the overall AUX level to make sure you don't overdrive the headphone amp.

A Headphone amp is the way to go, but for a single singer in a quiet room I was surprised to find that the aux send's +4 level lets it easily drive a pair of headphones with no amp at all.

Mick

Old 15th December 2008
  #1833
Gear Nut
 
terence's Avatar
 

Should I update the mlan drivers?

...or should I leave well alone? I've been using my n12 for a couple of months under Windows XP with zero hitches. The mLan drivers are version 1.4x but I notice the newest ones on the Yamaha site are now at 1.6x. Is it a case of "if it's not bust don't fix it" or should I bring myself up to date?

Any thoughts please.

-Terence
Old 16th December 2008
  #1834
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Guys,

I'm a MIDI noob so be patient/

I've hooked up my Alesis keyboard and it's sending data and I can record data, but I have no playback. Any of you guys using MIDI? How do you hear your playback? The setup was easy in Cubase because it recognized my keyboard.

Thanks!
Just giving this a bump.

I can monitor what I have played on my keyboard. But still don't know how to get MIDI sound out of the n12.
Old 16th December 2008
  #1835
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Just giving this a bump.

I can monitor what I have played on my keyboard. But still don't know how to get MIDI sound out of the n12.
Hey soundrage.

If I'm reading correctly, you just need to route the midi channel to a VSTi (virtual instrument) as that is where the sound is generated from. The midi keyboard will only generate midi on/off instruction.

So in Cubase's inspector, create a Midi Track. The input of that channel will be your keyboard. Since you see midi activity, I assume it's set up correctly. The output will be your instrument. To load an instrument for it to be available to select in the output list, you need to load the Instrument Rack, and pull up one of your VSTi. Then it will be available as an output.

The simpler, but more limited option would be to create an Instrument Track. A following dialog will supply a list of your instruments and you may choose one here.

Midi channels, are capable of running VSTi that are multichannel (if an instrument allows 8 channels, such as a drum VST, you can create separate midi channels for each of the 8 channels. This is for arranging layers of instruments.

Instrument Tracks load an immediate instance of the VSTi, however you can only use 1 channel. This is for quick playing. Obviously you can load another Instrument Track if you want another channel of the VSTi, however loading another separate instance utilizes more CPU than one instance of a multichannel VSTi.

There are times to do both ie: Instrument Tracks have none of the midi effects such as apreggio or arpache, but are quick, basic and only loads what is needed in the mixer. Midi Tracks load a VSTi channel and a midi channel, and are generally what you will use to layer arrangements.

...maybe more than you needed to hear? If not lemme know any more Cubase questions. That's the one thing I do sorta understand!
Old 16th December 2008
  #1836
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post

...maybe more than you needed to hear? If not lemme know any more Cubase questions. That's the one thing I do sorta understand!
No, the help is much appreciated!

I will get to this tonight.

My girlfriend plays piano and wants to use the score editor. I've wanted to get in to MIDI for awhile and kept putting it off. It seems to me like Cubase is designed very well for MIDI. thumbsup
Old 16th December 2008
  #1837
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
No, the help is much appreciated!

I will get to this tonight.

My girlfriend plays piano and wants to use the score editor. I've wanted to get in to MIDI for awhile and kept putting it off. It seems to me like Cubase is designed very well for MIDI. thumbsup
It's good for midi, however once you get deep into the key editor for editing CCs (continuous controllers for dynamic expression), it can get a bit clunky.
Old 17th December 2008
  #1838
Gear interested
 

Differences in Yamaha mixers

Hey all,

I am in need of some help, and hoping geosync or some members could help me out.

I recently got a EMX 5014C mixer for use as a PA mixer solely for my jam space. I am kind of regretting the purchase, as I am not sure if I could have gotten an upgraded set up for a little more money.

Here is my 2 questions:

Are the preamps and EQ the same or better/worse in the MG series of mixers? I could get an MG and an outboard amplifier.

I had seriously considered getting a n12, because I have an opportunity to sell my current interface, but I became confused about the digital aspect of the n12. If I get the n12, I would need it to double as my live mixer for my PA as well. Does the mixer work as a standalone mixer as well, or does it have to be connected to the PC to work at all??

Thanks
Old 17th December 2008
  #1839
Lives for gear
 
Geosync's Avatar
 

Thread Starter

Are the preamps and EQ the same or better/worse in the MG series of mixers? I could get an MG and an outboard amplifier.


That's not my group but I think they are. Doesn't the MX have
a special feedback eliminator?



Does the mixer work as a standalone mixer as well

You bet

does it have to be connected to the PC to work at all??

No not at all
Old 17th December 2008
  #1840
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync View Post
Are the preamps and EQ the same or better/worse in the MG series of mixers? I could get an MG and an outboard amplifier.

That's not my group but I think they are. Doesn't the MX have
a special feedback eliminator?



Does the mixer work as a standalone mixer as well

You bet

does it have to be connected to the PC to work at all??

No not at all
So, I guess I just don't understand the earlier comments about the board being all digital. Does that mean the EQs and preamps and whatnot are more like modelers? Is the entire signal processed through a software of sorts even if you don't have it connected to the PC?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it
Old 17th December 2008
  #1841
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxfish5 View Post
So, I guess I just don't understand the earlier comments about the board being all digital. Does that mean the EQs and preamps and whatnot are more like modelers? Is the entire signal processed through a software of sorts even if you don't have it connected to the PC?

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

The preamps are analog. You can read up about them at the n Series website. And they are outstanding preamps at that. The EQ is digital like in other Yamaha digital mixers. I am not familiar with other Yamaha digital mixers so I can’t comment on any sound comparisons. If you want to you could bypass any signal processing by using an insert which in the signal flow is directly before the A/D conversion.
Old 18th December 2008
  #1842
Lives for gear
 
Geosync's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
The preamps are analog. You can read up about them at the n Series website. And they are outstanding preamps at that. The EQ is digital like in other Yamaha digital mixers. I am not familiar with other Yamaha digital mixers so I can’t comment on any sound comparisons. If you want to you could bypass any signal processing by using an insert which in the signal flow is directly before the A/D conversion.
Rage is right

The EQ and Compressors are based on the Virtual Circuit Modeling that until recently
had to be purchased as an add-on to our most expensive digital mixers.
Old 18th December 2008
  #1843
Gear interested
 

Can't seem to record tracks.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if i'd be able to ask some help. I have tried the searching for answers to my problem, but to no avail.

I recently got my N12, but I haven't managed to be able to set it up for recording with my version of Cubase 4 (which I purchased April of this year.)

The installation process is fine, and when I open up cubase 4, the Cubase reading light comes on. However, after this, all I seem to be able to use the N12 for is a midi remote.

There are no n12 templates when I choose to create a new project, and if I choose "empty" and then create an audio track. I don't get the option of n12 input 1, 2, 9/10 etc.. Instead all I get is Stereo Left and Stereo Right.

I'm not sure what the problem is, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Should I update my Cubase 4?

UPDATE: I can manage to record line 1 from the N12 (by using the Stereo In Left), but nothing more, I also cannot apply reverb, but can change all the EQ and compression.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 18th December 2008
  #1844
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkshale View Post
Hi guys,

I was wondering if i'd be able to ask some help. I have tried the searching for answers to my problem, but to no avail.

I recently got my N12, but I haven't managed to be able to set it up for recording with my version of Cubase 4 (which I purchased April of this year.)

The installation process is fine, and when I open up cubase 4, the Cubase reading light comes on. However, after this, all I seem to be able to use the N12 for is a midi remote.

There are no n12 templates when I choose to create a new project, and if I choose "empty" and then create an audio track. I don't get the option of n12 input 1, 2, 9/10 etc.. Instead all I get is Stereo Left and Stereo Right.

I'm not sure what the problem is, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Should I update my Cubase 4?

UPDATE: I can manage to record line 1 from the N12 (by using the Stereo In Left), but nothing more, I also cannot apply reverb, but can change all the EQ and compression.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you haven't installed the Cubase extensions. They will give you the templates you need, or the ability to choose N12 i/o under connections.
Old 19th December 2008
  #1845
Gear interested
 

Patchbay, external preamps and compressors

Hi all.
I asked a question a few pages back about using external preamps with the n12 and the replies were to use the insert jacks. This i understand, as it will bypass the n12s own pre's which i wish to do.
However, if someone doesn't mind answering a few questions for me that would be unreal.

First, i read somewhere in this thread about if you plug in preamps to the inserts you cant plug the cable all the way in. Can someone explain that a bit better and what would i need to do to my cable from pre to insert to make it work in this situation?

Secondly, i actually don't want to use the preamps like this as i also have external compressors which i would normally plug into these insert points. Obviously if i have the external pres plugged in there i wont be able to plug in the compressors. So im thinking i need a patchbay, which i have been trying to research and learn as much as i can about but am struggling to grasp how i would apply it to my equipment and the n12.

This is what i have and what id like to do.
I have a recording/live room and control room.
I have a 12 channel xlr snake box. The box is in the live room and the cable is fed to the control room
I have 6 external preamps and want to plug channels 1 to 6 of the snake box into the external preamps. Channels 7 to 12 would go directly to the N12's xlr inputs and the n12s preamps.
Now i want to use my external compressors with my external preamps.

How do i do this. Would i plug the snake xlrs into the external preamps then take the outputs of the preamps into a patchbay, then be able to patch in my compressors into the front of the patchbay and run the output of the patchbay to the inserts on channel 1 to 6 of the N12 mixer?

Any idea? Sorry about the long post. Hope it makes sense and hope someone can help. Im sure im not the only n12 user with external preamps and compressors, so how are you all intergrating your gear.

Thanks heaps for all the info on this thread and for any replies i might recieve
Cheers
Old 19th December 2008
  #1846
Gear interested
 

Problem with cubase n12 link

Hi all
I'm a newcomer. I've been using Cubase Studio 4.1 with Omega Lexicon for the past 12 months (iMac 10.5 Intel). Just purchased n12 and I'm finding the Cubase Ready light will come on initially, stay on for 15-20 seconds and then go off. Any help appreciated
Thanks
Old 19th December 2008
  #1847
Lives for gear
 
Geosync's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJStoko View Post
Hi all
I'm a newcomer. I've been using Cubase Studio 4.1 with Omega Lexicon for the past 12 months (iMac 10.5 Intel). Just purchased n12 and I'm finding the Cubase Ready light will come on initially, stay on for 15-20 seconds and then go off. Any help appreciated
Thanks
Have you downloaded and installed the Steinberg extensions from HERE Yamahasynth.com ?
Old 20th December 2008
  #1848
Gear interested
 
Mike Lionfox's Avatar
 

Greetings all,

I am on the verge of purchasing the N8.

How is latency dealt with(record channel)?

Does Direct monitoring (Cubase)work properly, or is the input signal montiored pre input to Cubase 4? Or is it determined by the buffer settings (hope not)? By the way I work on the dm2000 and love it. Looking forward to the N8. Thanks, Mike
Old 20th December 2008
  #1849
Lives for gear
 

Why are you guys even buying N8s? No offense, but the N12 is the better value IMO.

BTW I'm from MD. Howdy Marylander!
Old 20th December 2008
  #1850
Gear interested
 
Mike Lionfox's Avatar
 

Hey Smoke. I hear ya on that.

For me its not a primary recording rig, more like on oversized portable for my laptop. Just want to get a clear idea on the latency/direct monitoring handling.

Cheers on MD! Mike
Old 20th December 2008
  #1851
Lives for gear
 

I don't do too much going into the N12, but the little I have, the latency has been good, at least as well as expected with my old G5. Plugins are a factor as well. Probably other guys can weigh in on this, but I think you'd be good on it. It's a great piece of equip.
Old 20th December 2008
  #1852
Lives for gear
 
Geosync's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I don't do too much going into the N12, but the little I have, the latency has been good, at least as well as expected with my old G5. Plugins are a factor as well. Probably other guys can weigh in on this, but I think you'd be good on it. It's a great piece of equip.
Very low latency @ 512 samples. I believe it can go down to 32 samples on new dual core laptops like my macbook pro. 32 samples is about 1.5 ms each way I think.

With the n series you are always monitoring the DAW. It sounds as if it's direct but it's not. There is a special design and use between Yamaha and Steinberg to achieve this.
I talk about it early on in the thread. I would search this thread for latency.

You won't hear any latency at 512 or lower.
Old 20th December 2008
  #1853
Gear interested
 
Mike Lionfox's Avatar
 

Geosyc posted:
With the n series you are always monitoring the DAW. It sounds as if it's direct but it's not.
There is a special design and use between Yamaha and Steinberg to achieve this.

Is it possible to engage the direct monitoring function in Cubase4, or is it greyed out as it is when using a G046?

Also, is there anyway to send an analogue input pre DAW to the aux phones out?

Thanks and great work here Geosync! I truly love Yamaha products, proud user of DM2000+Nuendo 4.
Old 20th December 2008
  #1854
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

i record at 128 and get about 3ms latency, very good

i also got the N12 working very well in Samp ver 10 pro over the past week. no transport of course but it mapped perfectly for my ins and outs etc

and has been rock solid as usual
Old 20th December 2008
  #1855
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

the n12 and cubase 5?

Hey George

will all the templates and mappings etc work in Cubase 5?? or will you be rolling out some new templates for this??

well let us know when you can

thanks!
Old 21st December 2008
  #1856
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync View Post
Have you downloaded and installed the Steinberg extensions from HERE Yamahasynth.com ?
Hi George
i installed the Steinberg extension - same problem. Oddly enough, when i install the download the Yamaha templates disappear. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Tools for n several times. Everything seems to go as per installation guide, the cubase light comes on and then switches off after a short period.
Any help appreciated

By the way, these pre amps are very nice!
Old 21st December 2008
  #1857
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
Hi all.
I asked a question a few pages back about using external preamps with the n12 ... i actually don't want to use the preamps like this as i also have external compressors which i would normally plug into these insert points.
Plug the pre into the compressor and then plug that into the insert.
Old 21st December 2008
  #1858
Gear interested
 

Thanks for answering Randall,
The thing is. Im not sure by your answer what your getting at. Ok, my mistake with the channels 7-12 with no xlr inputs.

However, what i dont want to do is have my mics going to the external pre's then into external compressors then to the inserts on the N12. Thats a crappy way to work when you are behind the desk and rack trying to plug compressor 'A' into preamp 'C' for 1 track then getting behind there again to plug compressor 'A' into Preamp 'B' for the next track. It is a pain in the butt to do this. I know because i have always done it in the pass. Now i'd like to look a bit more professional and save myself the pain of getting behind my desk everytime i want to try 1 preamp with a different compressor.

So, its the patchbay issue that im most concerned with. How would i set up a patchbay for using my external preamps and compressors with the N12. If someone can give me an answe with a bit of instruction that would be unreal.
Thanks guys.
Old 22nd December 2008
  #1859
Gear Nut
 
terence's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
...or should I leave well alone? I've been using my n12 for a couple of months under Windows XP with zero hitches. The mLan drivers are version 1.4x but I notice the newest ones on the Yamaha site are now at 1.6x. Is it a case of "if it's not bust don't fix it" or should I bring myself up to date?

Any thoughts please.

-Terence
I realize this must be the dullest no-brainer for many of you guys. I have had various problems in the past with software upgrades causing unforeseen glitches, so a nudge one way or the other would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terence
Old 22nd December 2008
  #1860
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
I realize this must be the dullest no-brainer for many of you guys. I have had various problems in the past with software upgrades causing unforeseen glitches, so a nudge one way or the other would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Terence
I'm in the same boat.

I'm on 1.4 and everything is working OK. Updates always scare me but if one is having any problems then you should update. I'll probably just stay on 1.4 for the time being.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
justinhedrick / Low End Theory
20
calvizio / So much gear, so little time!
9
cynics1207 / So much gear, so little time!
1
Rea / So much gear, so little time!
0
xflava / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump