The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 30th June 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danxious View Post
Hopefully someone knows the answer to this?
Is the N12 compatible with logic 9.1.7 on an imac os 10.6.8? I noticed the N12 has a firewire 400 port and my mac has firewire 800 so is this amazing looking desk going to work if i buy an adapter cable? I have been looking at the A and H ZedR16 snd the Mackie Onyx, SC mtk 22, Alesis Multimix etc then stumbled on the N12 at a fraction of the price and it appears to be better than all of them. Basically I want to multitrack record my hardware jams into logic and make use of a few plug-ins etc... Also I cannot seem to find out if the N12 can multitrack record post fade or not? It isn't a deal clincher but it would be handy to know... Sorry if this has been answered before but this thread is huge and I have tried searching without any joy. Thanks in advance to anyone who is clued up in this area and is willing to take the time to help me on my quest to achieve subtractive arrangement...
Hi,

this may come a bit late to you, but, attached is a link to drivers which support your Mac OS.
https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?...oads_mr816&L=1

Track recording is Pre Fade.

You can record each track, apply VST (etc) plugins but you cannot route same track back for further mixing within N12 - "DAW Insert" -feature works only in compatible Cubase versions. You need to mix tracks inside DAW and send them down to N12 DAW channel.

-Mikko
Old 5th July 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik nak View Post
Apologies to rejuvinate an old (albeit amazingly valuable) thread/post but did this ever happen as Im considering buying another N12 to sit alongside my other (amazing workhorse) N12?
I just stumbled upon a Steinberg MR816X with a decent price. I was also planning to expand my N12 with another, but decided to go with the Steinberg instead.

After a hour of fiddling around with drivers, firmware updates etc, I am happy to say that first impression is good - they DO seem to work nicely together, cascaded to each other with firewire cables.
Old 6th July 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintonik View Post
I just stumbled upon a Steinberg MR816X with a decent price. I was also planning to expand my N12 with another, but decided to go with the Steinberg instead.

After a hour of fiddling around with drivers, firmware updates etc, I am happy to say that first impression is good - they DO seem to work nicely together, cascaded to each other with firewire cables.
Ah, I noticed to be unclear yesterday.

So what I meant, was that according to info I gathered, one can cascade up to three MR816X/MR816CX's together. I was in impression that maximum amount for N12's would be two.

And like I learned yesterday, one can happily combine at least one N12 and one MR816X into 32/32 interface. Time to go to a Shopping Spree -mode with the synths and drum machines!
Old 6th July 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spintonik View Post

Nice work! How are you chaining it? Eg. Does the N12 main vol control all volumes? Can you use the N12’s play/stop/rec buttons? How are the channels are recognised by Cubase etc..
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Hi all, hope some one out there can help. I have just upraded from a Mac pro 2009 to a 2013 which has thunderbolt 2 (no firewire) and OSX 10.14 and am having problems. My n12 worked perfectly before the upgrade which I had to do as my old Mac died. I have installed the software and a cable to conver thunderbolt to firewire and the n12 is partially working, it plays back audio and midi ok but the Cubase light doesn't come on and I can't record audio into the n12. I was hopeing it would work as I don't wnt to upgrade my interface yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
frets 249
Cubase 8 pro
Old 23rd September 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

yamaha n12 comp led light continous

Hi im new in this thread

i have a yamaha n12 and a macbook pro 2012 with firewire on OS MOJAVE

the light in the comp doesnt turn off.

i have also problem installing the driver and update on my mac

ANY SOLUTION WILL BE APPRECIATED.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Addict

George Hamilton AKA Geosync lost his battle with Pancreatic cancer on July 31rst, It just dawned on me there might still be a few here who would be interested in knowing. George always made an effort to find me and stay in touch over the years even post the N12 era, he was a good man and a good friend, RIP George! Doesn't look like we'll see that N24 TB now!

Last edited by Gutz; 25th October 2019 at 02:20 PM..
Old 1st December 2019
Here for the gear

What is best way for me to hook up an external preamp to the N8? The insert? Thanks.
Old 1st December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeson9 View Post
What is best way for me to hook up an external preamp to the N8? The insert? Thanks.

Or should I just run a 1/4 cable from the unbalanced output on the preamp (Empirical El 9) into one of the L/Mono inputs on an N8 stereo channel (5/6 or 7/8)?
Old 1st December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or should I just run a 1/4 cable from the unbalanced output on the preamp (Empirical El 9) into one of the L/Mono inputs on an N8 stereo channel (5/6 or 7/8)?
The insert method is what I mostly used with my n12, as the insert is right before the A/D in the signal path.
Old 2nd December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
It might seem a little strange, and it’s probably wrong somehow, but I’ve been running external preamps from their xlr outs to the xlr ins on my n12 for about 6 years. I tried the inserts, but actually found the regular inputs sounded better. Inserts sounded a little thin and treble heavy to my ears. Doesn’t seem to do any damage and the external pres sound much nicer and don’t seem coloured by the n12 pres, which I just leave zeroed.

That said, not sure how much longer I’ll be doing it this way, but the n12 has served me very well.

Sad to hear about George. He was incredibly helpful and seemed like a really good guy.

Bob
Old 4th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi folks. If you were to compare the N12/N8 preamps to outboard stuff, what is similar? And to follow, what is totally different that might be worth adding as an external pre? Interested in comparisons to other preamps/channel strips. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th January 2020
Here for the gear

I’ve read that the N preamps sound somewhat similar to Trident A Range sound. Any thoughts on that? So maybe a Neve clone or tube preamp would be a nice complement?
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Head
Has anyone tried using the N12 with Catalina - do the Yammy software drivers work on 64bit?
Old 17th January 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Any progress with exactly this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEstudio View Post
Hey All..

i REALLY REALLY need some help. i have the Yamaha n12 mixer. i WAS using it with Cubase AI4 (still use it every now and then). NOW i mainly use Logic Pro (versions 8 and 9).

my dilemma is that i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to set up Logic Pro in order to be able to create mixes on my N12....i.e: Logic Pro -> Yamaha n12 -> and then send those signals BACK from the mixer into Logic for further touch-ups (with Logic effects plug-ins etc..) to incorporate a bit of both worlds in the mix.

i've read eveything... threads, tutorials, user manuals...EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!!

from what i gather, it has something to do with the I/O PLUG-IN that Logic offers...i just have no idea how to set it up properly.

I REALLY would like to be able to use my Yamaha n12 for everything that it offers. and i REALLY want to be able to control tracks from my Logic DAW with my n12 mixer.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. SIMPLE, DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE PREFERRED (not advanced with this stuff). THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

I really need help with this too is it possible to return tracks fron locic 9 to the n12? HELP!!!
Old 6th March 2020
Lives for gear

Anyone using the n12 successfully with another DAW other than cubase? (Win7/64bit)
Old 12th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Anyone using the n12 successfully with another DAW other than cubase? (Win7/64bit)
sure, only difference is you only have transport functions.. works fine otherwise
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks Gutz.

I ended up reading almost this whole thread. There wasn't many that mentioned using other DAWS, but thanks for the confirmation. I've bought the n12 and should get it next week sometime. I wanted it because it has the 6 outs and will hopefully be easier to configure than mucking around with my saffire pro and it's stupid bl**dy mixcontrol software
Old 17th March 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik nak View Post
Has anyone tried using the N12 with Catalina - do the Yammy software drivers work on 64bit?
Bounce. Any luck anyone? Id like to upgrade confidently

@ stixstudios - Welcome on board, its a great Desk/Preamps without being too lead by Tech (other than the Firewire)
Old 18th March 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry I can't help you out with MacOS Catalina.

Got the n12 today - nice looking bit of gear. I've installed the Firewire drivers and all was looking good until I loaded a previous mix. I've got glitching/stuttering. I've changed the buffer size to the max (2048 samples) still have the glitching.

I was previously using a Mackie 820i and had NO glitching whatsoever. I'm using the firewire legacy driver for WIN7, I've tried both, still have the glitching. I'm using a TI card, and also have an old VIA firewire card which I guess I could try next.

I can't think of anything to do except maybe install an older Yamaha/Steinberg firewire driver. I'm currently using 1.6.6

I think I did read possible issues with using an NVIDIA video card, but, as I said, everything worked as expected with the Mackie firewire drivers.
Old 18th March 2020
I really enjoyed my n12 when I had it and am actually a bit PO'd at Yamaha for not continuing to build them and support them, especially as a Cubase user.
Presonus is the "Winner" in that realm.
Just saw here where George has passed on.
That is sad to hear as he was great to work with.
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

I ended up loading the same files into Reaper and I don't get any dropouts or glitching!. Looks like my issues could have something to do with incompatibilities with the n12 drivers and my current DAW (Harrison Mixbus 32C v5). I don't really want to change Daws.

Therefore, I'm looking at changing from WinPC to MacOS. I was looking at a 27" iMac from around 2012 to 2015?

From what I read, there may be issues depending on which OS. Also TB to Firewire or USB-C to Firewire could be an issue.

So, is anyone running a similar setup successfully?

Cheers.

[EDIT] ***FIXED***

Ok, looks like I've answered part of the question.
https://typo3test.steinberg.net/en/s...fw_driver.html

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.5

Last edited by stixstudios; 5th May 2020 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: New Info
Old 30th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

I'm running an N12 and two MR816 on Mojave (10.14.6), USB-C -> Thunderbolt -> Firewire.

If I upgrade the OS the gear is junk, at least the N12 :-(

I'm thinking that I with something like the RME Digiface USB can continue to use the MR816s. Has anyone tested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
From what I read, there may be issues depending on which OS. Also TB to Firewire or USB-C to Firewire could be an issue.

So, is anyone running a similar setup successfully?

Cheers.

[EDIT]

Ok, looks like I've answered part of the question. (from the website https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat...ac_latest.html)

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.4 to V1.7.5
Now supports macOS 10.14.
Registered Date : 7/2/2017
Old 30th April 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Kire.

What year Mac are you using?
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Just thought I would point out that the previous link (now fixed) was dodgy.

This FireWire Driver (1.7.5) from here:
https://typo3test.steinberg.net/en/s...fw_driver.html

Works correctly with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Yippppeeeeeeee
Old 14th May 2020
Lives for gear

So the n12 has 6 outs.

These are derived from the 5.1 surround outs. Is this true?

So the only way to "insert" some hardware into the chain, meaning to go out from my DAW to 2 channels, for instance (C) LS/RS then through my hardware effects then back into, lets say channels 9/10 and record that.

Initially I thought that I could come out through the Aux, but this doesn't work.

OR have I missed something obvious?

Cheers.
Old 14th May 2020
It's been quite awhile since I sold mine so I don't remember much.
However, I do know that you could use the n12 as a summing device and with that, wondering if you could bring your track back into an n12 channel, run it through your hardware via that channels insert then reroute it back into your DAW......
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
I really loved my n12 and wished Yamaha would have kept it current by switching the AD/DA conversion to USB or upgrading it to Thunderbolt or USB 3.
I suggested to them to add the electronics to allow the user to choose (switch) XLR or TRS instead of TRS cancelling out the XLR as well as building expansion units.
It was a great mixer!
Old 14th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestudioguy View Post
It's been quite awhile since I sold mine so I don't remember much.
However, I do know that you could use the n12 as a summing device and with that, wondering if you could bring your track back into an n12 channel, run it through your hardware via that channels insert then reroute it back into your DAW......
Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
I really loved my n12 and wished Yamaha would have kept it current by switching the AD/DA conversion to USB or upgrading it to Thunderbolt or USB 3.
I suggested to them to add the electronics to allow the user to choose (switch) XLR or TRS instead of TRS cancelling out the XLR as well as building expansion units.
It was a great mixer!
Thanks. I don't think that the inserts work as direct outs from firewire. If they did, then happy days. The only outs seem to be via 5.1 surround.

One thing I've noticed with the n12 is really nice and clear sound. I've also heard better stereo separation for sure. But at this point I'm not sure if I can integrate it into my system in the way I need.

The other thing I've noticed compared to my Mackie 1640 is that the yammy is very unforgiving with input overload and will easily give digital distortion, whereas the Mackie can be overloaded and have a bit of "saturation". Weird but true.

I'm still going through a process. All I need is more than 2 outs to go though external hardware, then back in again. Not as easy as I thought.

However, I've been looking into aggregation of firewire devices (MacOS) and it's looking good.

I still would like to use the yammy n12, but now I'm not so sure.
Old 20th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Just bought a second hand but in mint condition N12 for EUR 150 - after reading this thread. Very, very impressive and clever mixer, to be used in my home setup with an Yamaha S90 keyboard and old Mac Pro 2011. Works like a charm, even the integration with Cubase 10.5 is excellent. Switching from analogue to DAW with the switch of a button.
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

That's a good price.
📝 Reply