The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series Audio Interfaces
Old 27th April 2018
Gear Addict
What do you all think about the Keith McMillen K-mix?
Seems to me to be pretty close in spec to the N12 (less 4 channels)
Old 24th June 2018
Gear Head

Apologies to rejuvinate an old (albeit amazingly valuable) thread/post but did this ever happen as Im considering buying another N12 to sit alongside my other (amazing workhorse) N12?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geosync View Post
since n12 can connect with xs via firewire, am i right to say 2 n12 could be connect together?i am worried about this because i am surely going to use more than 12 input of sources.

Currently only 1. in the fall, you will be able to connect up to 3 units.

would the mlan driver out later solve this problem

You bet, you'll have a choice of one or the other drivers, depending on your hardware and how you want to configure them.
Old 24th June 2018
Here for the gear
Hi, I'm not sure about this, but given the age of the N12, I would confirm with Yamaha support. I'm assuming firmware hasn't been updated in years, could that also be an issue? Good luck, hope it works out ;-)
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

I seem to recall someone setting that up and posting about in this long thread, but I could be wrong. Try a search here to see if anything comes up but here is the link to the procedure.
How to connect two N8/N12 series consoles to a DAW - n12 - n12/n8 - Mixers - Music Production Tools
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
I seem to recall someone setting that up and posting about in this long thread, but I could be wrong. Try a search here to see if anything comes up but here is the link to the procedure.
How to connect two N8/N12 series consoles to a DAW - n12 - n12/n8 - Mixers - Music Production Tools

Thanks soundrage, thats the kind of info Im after.. sadly my experience with Yamaha support in the current country Im in isnt too good. When I next see an N12 (hopefully nearby) Ill drop some money and let you know how I get on
Old 30th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik nak View Post
Thanks soundrage, thats the kind of info Im after.. sadly my experience with Yamaha support in the current country Im in isnt too good. When I next see an N12 (hopefully nearby) Ill drop some money and let you know how I get on
It's a great piece of gear. If you ever have any questions let me know.
Old 18th August 2018
Here for the gear

N12 and Cubase 9 on Mac

Hi all,

I haven't used my N12 for a couple of years, but now I have time again for producing music, I've unboxed it again. I reaaly still love it.

I found out that some new VST plugins are 64 bit only, and cubase 5 on my iMac is 32 bit. So I would like to upgrade my cubase, to the current version. Could this version still work with the N12. Does anybody successfully use it with Cubase 9 or 9.5 on a mac? (I think i have OSX 10.11)

thanks!
Old 18th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenWLierop View Post
Hi all,

I haven't used my N12 for a couple of years, but now I have time again for producing music, I've unboxed it again. I reaaly still love it.

I found out that some new VST plugins are 64 bit only, and cubase 5 on my iMac is 32 bit. So I would like to upgrade my cubase, to the current version. Could this version still work with the N12. Does anybody successfully use it with Cubase 9 or 9.5 on a mac? (I think i have OSX 10.11)

thanks!
I'm not on a mac but I think your going to need to update the n12 firmware. Take look at the latest drivers to make sure they support your OS. Check this out if you haven't seen it...info on mac
Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.7.4 for Mac OS X 10.9.5 - 10.11.x - Yamaha - Other European Countries

It's a "process" to update the firmware/driver etc. Carefully read through the documentation. Been a few years since I did it but it might be worth to go back through this thread and read some post's of guys updating.

Good luck! It's still a wonderful mixer. Can't imagine how happy I would be to have a new -n- series version with all updated converters, maybe motorized faders etc. But we'll never see it. Probably not much of a market for it I guess.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenWLierop View Post
Hi all,

thanks!
I've been using Cubase for 3 years, and I've had problems all the time, 50% from VST not works. One year I passed to Reaper, and I had no problem.

You are pleased with Cubase?
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Yess i like cubase, in the first olace because I’m used to it. I started using it on my first computer, Atari ST, like maybe 20 years ago.

On my iMac it always run smoothly with cubase ai 4 and cubase studio 5, on windows I’ve had a lot of trouble. (Timing issues, distorted sounds etc)

But i ran all installers this weekend. In cubase 5 the input and output busses were a total mess. Bus 7 had to be mapped to input 1, in order to be able to send sound to fader 1 on the n12. It took some time to sort that out, and every time i started cubase i had to reselect my own presets for in and outputs again.

Than i found a nice upgrade offer (€9,99)for the original cubase ai 4 to cubase ai 9.5. A nice way to test how the new cubase can work with the n12. It works really good, no issues at all. So thanks !
Old 20th August 2018
Gear Maniac

The N12 impressed me enough that I still follow this thread, Yamaha was so close to being an alpha player
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Problems connecting Yamaha n8 to Windows 10

Hi all,

I just found a Yamaha n8 in pristine condition. I've been trying to make it work with my Windows 10 computer so I can use it with my Cubase 8.5. So far I could not make it work. I downloaded the drivers from the Yamaha website. The FW Driver is version 1.6.6, and the n Extension is version 1.7.2. It all included in a package called Tools for n 2.7.4 for Win 10 / 8.1 / 7 (64-bit).

So far I tried two Firewire PCI-e cards, one is the SIIG NN-E20012-S2 wich has a Texas Instruments chipset, and another generic card with a VIA chipset. None of them connected to the n8. When I start the n8 I can hear a sound just like when you connect a USB device in Windows, but when I open the Yamaha Steinber FW Driver UI does not show the n8 as connected. (See attached photo).

I was wondering if anybody here had this type of issue and how can it be solved. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha n Series-fw.jpg  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

You may need to update the firmware. I run a SIIG PCI card on a Win 7 box that works good. I got a new PC and picked up a SIIG PCI-e card, may be the same one you have...have to take a look. My n12 is working with the new PC but I'm having all kinds of drop outs, stutters, all the bad stuff and haven't had time to lock myself away in the troubleshooting closet.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the advice. I did managed to update the firmware to version 1.03 for Windows. No luck. I also did a hardware reset, and I still have the same issue.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I love that there are still guys here using the N12. Mine is still here, but I need to move to a bigger place, so I can use it for a home entertainment/auido mixer. If I can get it to still work in 5 years lol

I remember a long time ago, I needed help on the N1w and George gave me his number, I called him and we talked for hours about everything!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
He taught me to make stem groups. Route them to channels on the N12 and link it up in Cubase. Turn monitor screen off. And then just tweak the low EQ cut on each channel. It was brilliant.

and adjust the sweet spot comp. That was important!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

plsynths,

I checked it and I'm using the same SIIG card as you are. The n12 shows up on my system and it all appears good but I get static and drop outs. I check the system with Latency Monitor tool and all is good there. My n12 works OK on my Win7 box with the older PCI SIIG firewire card. I think I'm dealing with the quarks of Firewire and I don't have much patience for it. Sucks because the DA in these n series mixers is really good. It's without any question better than my Steinberg UR44. I can still use it on my 10 yr old Win7 box for some mixing.

I have no idea why your unit is not getting recognized. I think we are on our own but maybe someone at Yamaha could help. If I come up with any ideas I'll let you know.

Last edited by soundrage; 3 days ago at 07:30 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah George was a great guy! Talked at length with him too. He was passionate about these mixers but I think Yamaha really blew it bad on marketing them. I mean they didn't do much of anything. Really sad cause they are a joy to work on and now the only mixers that come out for recording just don't have the features these guys have.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search