The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series Audio Interfaces
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyril Markwardt View Post
You sure you are listening through the control room outputs?
Maybe your monitors are plugged in to the stereo outputs?

just a thought..

Yes these were plugged into the stereo output, but when I connect it to the CR room outputs there is absolutely no audio. Moreover the yamaha FW driver comes listed as unspecified in Devices Manager not matter what I try. Is that possibly the problem?
Moreover, irrespective of which outs the monitors are connected to, there is no audio coming on lets say channel 1 when I try sending recorded audio to channel 1 for mixing. Even though the routing in VST connections, audio track looks fine, with the A.IN/DAW switch on the channel flipped to DAW. Nothing on the channel meter.

Thanks a lot of helping out Cyril.
Old 16th January 2018
Here for the gear

Ok, worth a try.
So assuming that you didn't drop the mixer or something obvious, it may possible a ribbon cable may have come loose inside.
Failing that, try to Reset your N12- hold MUTE + ST + 2TR while turning on power.
Be aware that sometimes the hardware, st buttons presets sometimes cause problems when not pressed before starting up the DAW arrange in cubase.
Also- try trashing preferences, templates for the n12
Old 17th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Ok, worth a try.
So assuming that you didn't drop the mixer or something obvious, it may possible a ribbon cable may have come loose inside.
Failing that, try to Reset your N12- hold MUTE + ST + 2TR while turning on power.
Be aware that sometimes the hardware, st buttons presets sometimes cause problems when not pressed before starting up the DAW arrange in cubase.
Also- try trashing preferences, templates for the n12
Hi Cyril,

I wonder what might have caused the cable to come loose as I have never dropped it and always used it personally. Although everything you suggest is definitely worth a shot. I will give that a try tonight and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Maniac

showing signal on the mixer?
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
showing signal on the mixer?

yes Gutz.. though haven't found time to try out the suggestions by Cyril. will try those over the weekend. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Old 18th January 2018
Here for the gear

Try opening a new Multitrack project. The Yamaha ASIO driver should be available. The n12 remote should be on in the Remote devices in device setup (set to n12 Remote i/O). The VST i/O connections should all be there, Make sure the Studio tab has Monitor L/R outputs defined- At least, this is how i do it.
Apart from what I already suggested, If you are on Windows you could try checking that your are not using the wdm driver at the same time, deselecting the recording and playback devices and or disabling it in the device manager (windows, not cubase). Also- The n12 hates my wifi so i tore it out of the computer. No WDM or dropout glitches since.
Also- assuming you reconnect the wdm driver if it isn't where the fault lies, try using the media player with a 5.1 ac3 or DVD to see if it reaches the control room metering (set to 5.1). This way you could see if any other stream can get to the n12 other than L/R.
Try another DAW like reaper (free trial) and see if it works with the return channels
Also- try looking back through the forum for the exact install procedure- if i remember it could get quite particular about the sequence, especially the earlier versions.
Lastly, maybe a legacy install if you are mixing and matching 32 and 64 apps/drivers, or possibly admin install.

here's a link to cubase n12 Tips on gearslutz
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...ubase-tips.pdf

Good Luck!
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

he said he's getting signal on the meters, he has the wrong assignments on the console or there's something wrong with his monitoring amp, who knows, but this is an oversight of some sort
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Head

N12, High Sierra, MacBook Pro 2016

I tried the N12 today with Cubase 9 Pro on a MacBook Pro 2016 running High Sierra. Unfortunately I get kernel panics. I'm running the latest drivers (TOOLS_for_MR_V178_Mac). This driver and Cubase 9 is supposed to work with the MR816 but it looks like the N12 is different even though they shared the same drivers.

I still have my old Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra, same drivers. That computer works fine.

Has anyone tried the N12 with High Sierra?
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kire View Post
I tried the N12 today with Cubase 9 Pro on a MacBook Pro 2016 running High Sierra. Unfortunately I get kernel panics. I'm running the latest drivers (TOOLS_for_MR_V178_Mac). This driver and Cubase 9 is supposed to work with the MR816 but it looks like the N12 is different even though they shared the same drivers.

I still have my old Mid 2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra, same drivers. That computer works fine.

Has anyone tried the N12 with High Sierra?
I asked Yamaha Canada about a possibility of updated drivers for the High Sierra and they said no. They said the N12 is a discontinued product and there are no plans to update the drivers.

This seemed pretty conclusive. I'm disappointed they would do this when it obviously could be supported with new drivers but they choose not to. Too bad. I'll move on and of course never by a Yamaha digital product again.
Old 20th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsong View Post
I asked Yamaha Canada about a possibility of updated drivers for the High Sierra and they said no. They said the N12 is a discontinued product and there are no plans to update the drivers.
The weird thing is that Steinberg says that the driver is supported on High Sierra for the MR816, and it's the same driver for the N12 ("Yamaha Steinberg FW driver V1.7.5").

See for example:
Windows 10 Fall Creators and macOS High Sierra compatibility | Steinberg
MR816 CSX/X | Steinberg

I'll do some more testing with only the MR816 connected to my 2016 MacBook/High Sierra to see if the problem is related to the computer or if it's related to the N12.

It was probably a mistake to upgrade my 2016 MacBook to High Sierra, I did it when I saw the announcement from Steinberg, at least I have my Mid2012/Sierra as a backup.

There will be less vintage audio gear in the future as everything is turning into junk due to discontinued software updates. Another alternative is to keep old computers/software (for as long as it's possible, a challenge in itself), and use it with the gear. That's what I'll do here, I have an N12 and 2 MR816 that I'd hate to throw away.

I wish the vendors at least could release the software as open source.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

I'd call Yamaha directly and give them hell, these things aren't old enough and haven't stopped being sold in the box stores long enough to just discontinue support
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'd call Yamaha directly and give them hell, these things aren't old enough and haven't stopped being sold in the box stores long enough to just discontinue support
I definitely let them know what I thought of this practise of abandoning customers with an expensive paper weight.

Hopefully others will do the same. As for me, I'm making plans to move on.
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

"I wish the vendors at least could release the software as open source"

This. Plus I want to disable/tweak bass management and have more control of reverb, routing etc (see my previous post) The question is, is it Yamaha or Steinberg?
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The question is, is it Yamaha or Steinberg?
It was Yamaha at the time although they had already bought Steinberg. The MR816 was touted as "The first fruit of the Yamaha–Steinberg union" by SOS.

I have a Yamaha S90 with a useless USB interface because they aren't supporting that either. I've had my fill of Yamaha's lack of long term driver support.
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

I know I'll have to keep using older hardware, that is expected (but regrettable) behavior from these cookie cutter companies like Roland and Yamaha. The good news is it keeps working as designed until it stops working. I have an N12, so there is at least some useful functionality without the driver. The N12 was before the MR816, and was the first hybrid product unless it was a midi controller or something. I'd bet they agreed to differ in spec (outputs, digital i/o) based on the market sector, so as not to overlap or compete, with steinberg having the rack format. I'm bummed i cant get the same kind of control that the MR has via plugins, or the fact there are only 4 Full range outs, not being able to change Crossover frequency for bass management etc. I bet Steinberg wrote the driver/firmware, even on the N12
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Can anyone please help me, my name is AL, I am working on Pro Tools 10 HD platform using the Apogee Symphony I/O for converter and just bought a Yamaha DM2000 and want to know how to connect the console to the symphony and back to the console to mix on the console and use pro tools as a tape deck
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortestudios View Post
Can anyone please help me, my name is AL, I am working on Pro Tools 10 HD platform using the Apogee Symphony I/O for converter and just bought a Yamaha DM2000 and want to know how to connect the console to the symphony and back to the console to mix on the console and use pro tools as a tape deck
This is not the correct thread for your question. I think you's have better luck if you start a new thread. Good luck.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The good news is it keeps working as designed until it stops working.
It's the good news and the most infuriating news. It still works but there's no useable drivers....

Quote:
I bet Steinberg wrote the driver/firmware, even on the N12
I have a feeling they didn't write the drivers or that it was another team otherwise they could easily use the code from the MR816 when they updated drivers.

Of course I could also be completely wrong as well.
Old 23rd January 2018
Here for the gear

Well neither of us will lose any money on the bet as No-one is listening to us firewire hacks anymore, least of all Yamaha or Steinberg (May their children be born with webbed feet 1000 miles from the sea)
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
(May their children be born with webbed feet 1000 miles from the sea)
Old 24th January 2018
Gear Head

@Cyril Markwardt @Gutz thanks for the help! Been out on a project so haven't tested out your suggestions. Will post the results soon.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsong View Post
it obviously could be supported with new drivers but they choose not to. Too bad. I'll move on and of course never by a Yamaha digital product again.
Or switch to Windows. I've got stuff running on my Windows 10 machine that I've been using for 20+ years. Apple just doesn't give a **** about breaking changes and churn in their operating systems. I've lost some of my favorite iOS apps (like SpaceChem) because developers can't afford to be constantly "fixing" products that shipped years ago because Apple breaks them. They've got new products to create and support. Even a company like Yamaha has finite resources.

The N12 had a long run for a digital product, more than decade, and in my Windows-based studio it'll have many years of continued use.

Last edited by Eric Tetz; 28th January 2018 at 11:45 PM..
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Actually I've already moved on. I just bought an Apogee Element 88. I could not believe the difference in quality of the converters compared to the N12. I got the Element control as well. Got a good deal on Craigslist.

This will be the end of following this thread for me. Thanks a lot to everyone here for all their help through the years and best of luck.
Old 3rd March 2018
Here for the gear

I am fairly new to the home audio thing and am looking for a mixer that could mix analog signals from my electric guitar and two synthesizers (something like a Korg Minilogue and a Elektron Digitone) to either monitor with a headphone and/or connect to a Mac to record stuff. I’ve come accross a used N12 for $200 and soon found this thread. What do you guys recommend? Is the N12 up to this job or are there newer ones without all these Firewire and driver issues? Thanks!
Old 4th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegearzlut View Post
I am fairly new to the home audio thing and am looking for a mixer that could mix analog signals from my electric guitar and two synthesizers (something like a Korg Minilogue and a Elektron Digitone) to either monitor with a headphone and/or connect to a Mac to record stuff. I’ve come accross a used N12 for $200 and soon found this thread. What do you guys recommend? Is the N12 up to this job or are there newer ones without all these Firewire and driver issues? Thanks!
depends on who you talk to and what your needs are, I still think it's a viable piece, others may not feel the same, for 200 bucks you're getting a lot of kit but if it won't run on your OS it may not be the best choice, I used mine for a decade never an issue, no blue screen issues, never even crashed, Yamaberg screwed the pooch when they ditched the N series.. and screwed it again when they discontinued support while it's still in service by so many customers... they were so damn close
Old 5th March 2018
Lives for gear

Loved mine as well. I was hoping they would come out with a version 2 with TB and possibly DAW control wiht motorised faders. oh well, I moved on as well. but it was rock solid, and worked amazing with cubase.
Old 6th March 2018
Gear Maniac

an N16 and or N24 with Thunderbolt, 8 busses, latest conversion and bypassable pre's, more I/O, drop the onboard compression, and a few other changes and these guys could be the rooster in the henhouse, I think the partnership with steinbug was a huge mistake, they could have partnered with SAW or Reaper or designed their own workstation totally integrated.. they should have kept the line alive and took polls on gearslutz for the features we want and would buy.. Geo works for the NSA now guess he had all the Yamaha he could take
Old 6th March 2018
Here for the gear
n12

Mine works fine with ableton 10 on windows 10 PC i'm going to write a custom control script in Remotify. Picked it up for £200 and its used as a summing mixer (for all my synths mixing is done in the box) monitor controller and of course 16 in 16 out firewire audio interface. For that cash its a steal and has never crashed. Great bit of kit for cash strapped home studio.
Old 31st March 2018
Gear Maniac

For those who remember Geosync who worked for Yamaha, had a role in the design of the N series, real name George Hamilton, I'm saddened to report the man is hospitalized and in seriously failing health related to pancreas and liver issues, I always liked George, I can tell you he's been working for the NSA for the past few years but he always made an effort to keep in touch with me over the years.. Say a little prayer for George

Last edited by Gutz; 1st April 2018 at 12:39 AM..
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those who remember Geosync who worked for Yamaha, had a role in the design of the N series, real name George Hamilton, I'm saddened to report the man is hospitalized and in seriously failing health related to pancreas and liver issues, I always liked George, I can tell you he's been working for the NSA for the past few years but he always made an effort to keep in touch with me over the years.. Say a little prayer for George
Oh man I'm really sad to hear this. Yeah I talked to George a number of times at length in the early days of this thread. Just a great guy who loved life and talking gear and his Harley. Agreed, a little prayer for him and his family for sure and thanks so much for letting us know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search