The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

I am officially off of the N12, just bought a new interface.

The control room style monitor control, metering and flexible routing is something I am going to miss with the N12.
It has a lot of options - at one point a ran my entire Home Theatre thru it and was grabbing all sorts of audio into Cubase. Cassette Deck and all.

Not sure what to do with it, at this point it just looks good sitting there collecting dust. It also takes up serious desk space. I would also need a FW to USB (or TB?) converter in order to aggregate it. But I feel like packing it up to sell would be more hassle than the market would pay for.
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I am officially off of the N12, just bought a new interface.

Not sure what to do with it, at this point it just looks good sitting there collecting dust. It also takes up serious desk space. I would also need a FW to USB (or TB?) converter in order to aggregate it. But I feel like packing it up to sell would be more hassle than the market would pay for.
What did you buy?

Re the N12, I would say put it on Craigslist for a fair price and just be patient. It's amazing what you can sell sometimes. Some people really like "dated" gear. Or you could donate it to a school or some aspiring young engineer/musician.
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

@Bondsong.

I went to a smaller fit Apollo Twin.
But I dug up the thread again to say I really heard a huge difference in the conversion. The N12 is pretty old. The apollo sounds I would say about 15 to 20% better via the outs, its like the blur was taken off. Its like new monitors or a new studio treatment. I did not expect that.

I will leave it there because I can easily get carried away. Try it for yourself

edit: its a good idea to give it to a school, and if I can I will for free, but now I am considering it as a home entertainment hub, as long as I can find a cheap FW cap interface. I may run every channel thru it sep input on the N12 - there are so many creative uses its hard to get rid of
Old 15th June 2017
Here for the gear

N12 Under the Hood

I have owned the n12 for several years and have some questions which i have never seen specifically resolved in the many pages both here and elsewhere. This is probably because only Yamaha or Steinberg would know, and maybe they don't like to divulge some of the secret sauce, even if the product is 10 years old.
1. Are the EQ's modelled on any particular desk?- i see lots of "vintage 70's " type answers but nothing specific. Is it in fact, the Type II Eq algo or maybe the VCM Pultec clone on the 01v96?

2. REV-X reverb. Can the later MR816 plugin be tweaked to recognise the N12, possibly offering some more parameters for the Reverb?

3. Sweet Spot Preset/guts detailed info. I have seen another few questions about this but the answers are as vague as Yamaha's 1 page info from their old download section. Not even sure if it is still available. Basically all the presets give you some idea of their function but some, esp the later ones on the list give you no idea about how they change when using the morph control, or even what kind of compressor they might be. Soft or Hard, VCM or stock 01v etc channel compressor. Anyone with both units care to comment?

4. Can the bass management be disabled in some driver or diagnostic routine? I sure would like to have 6 FR outs from the n12. I know the mr816 has these but still..

5. In Cubase 5, when you press the Hardware Mix button (and others) on the DAW Remote Control section, cubase registers this with a MIDI spike on the Transport indicating a message. If you try to record or monitor this it doesn't show up, in fact the record track disappears as if there was no message. I know that this is likely ignored by cubase's record section as it is metadata for the N12 Remote, but as the Hardware Mix button is asking for a particular config change re channels in cubase I thought it might be interesting to intercept this message and change its function to alter the exact channels or other config to suit different setups or situations. As it is Hardware Mix function is nice but limits you to that global preset function. Are there scripts running in Cubase 5 that i can break into in order to look under the hood?

Last edited by Cyril Markwardt; 15th June 2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: tidying up x2 :)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search