The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series DAW Software
Old 3rd May 2017
Lives for gear

I am officially off of the N12, just bought a new interface.

The control room style monitor control, metering and flexible routing is something I am going to miss with the N12.
It has a lot of options - at one point a ran my entire Home Theatre thru it and was grabbing all sorts of audio into Cubase. Cassette Deck and all.

Not sure what to do with it, at this point it just looks good sitting there collecting dust. It also takes up serious desk space. I would also need a FW to USB (or TB?) converter in order to aggregate it. But I feel like packing it up to sell would be more hassle than the market would pay for.
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I am officially off of the N12, just bought a new interface.

Not sure what to do with it, at this point it just looks good sitting there collecting dust. It also takes up serious desk space. I would also need a FW to USB (or TB?) converter in order to aggregate it. But I feel like packing it up to sell would be more hassle than the market would pay for.
What did you buy?

Re the N12, I would say put it on Craigslist for a fair price and just be patient. It's amazing what you can sell sometimes. Some people really like "dated" gear. Or you could donate it to a school or some aspiring young engineer/musician.
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

@Bondsong.

I went to a smaller fit Apollo Twin.
But I dug up the thread again to say I really heard a huge difference in the conversion. The N12 is pretty old. The apollo sounds I would say about 15 to 20% better via the outs, its like the blur was taken off. Its like new monitors or a new studio treatment. I did not expect that.

I will leave it there because I can easily get carried away. Try it for yourself

edit: its a good idea to give it to a school, and if I can I will for free, but now I am considering it as a home entertainment hub, as long as I can find a cheap FW cap interface. I may run every channel thru it sep input on the N12 - there are so many creative uses its hard to get rid of
Old 15th June 2017
Here for the gear

N12 Under the Hood

I have owned the n12 for several years and have some questions which i have never seen specifically resolved in the many pages both here and elsewhere. This is probably because only Yamaha or Steinberg would know, and maybe they don't like to divulge some of the secret sauce, even if the product is 10 years old.
1. Are the EQ's modelled on any particular desk?- i see lots of "vintage 70's " type answers but nothing specific. Is it in fact, the Type II Eq algo or maybe the VCM Pultec clone on the 01v96?

2. REV-X reverb. Can the later MR816 plugin be tweaked to recognise the N12, possibly offering some more parameters for the Reverb?

3. Sweet Spot Preset/guts detailed info. I have seen another few questions about this but the answers are as vague as Yamaha's 1 page info from their old download section. Not even sure if it is still available. Basically all the presets give you some idea of their function but some, esp the later ones on the list give you no idea about how they change when using the morph control, or even what kind of compressor they might be. Soft or Hard, VCM or stock 01v etc channel compressor. Anyone with both units care to comment?

4. Can the bass management be disabled in some driver or diagnostic routine? I sure would like to have 6 FR outs from the n12. I know the mr816 has these but still..

5. In Cubase 5, when you press the Hardware Mix button (and others) on the DAW Remote Control section, cubase registers this with a MIDI spike on the Transport indicating a message. If you try to record or monitor this it doesn't show up, in fact the record track disappears as if there was no message. I know that this is likely ignored by cubase's record section as it is metadata for the N12 Remote, but as the Hardware Mix button is asking for a particular config change re channels in cubase I thought it might be interesting to intercept this message and change its function to alter the exact channels or other config to suit different setups or situations. As it is Hardware Mix function is nice but limits you to that global preset function. Are there scripts running in Cubase 5 that i can break into in order to look under the hood?

Last edited by Cyril Markwardt; 15th June 2017 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: tidying up x2 :)
Old 9th October 2017
Here for the gear
dont know if anyone still watches this thread but ive just been given an old n12. I.m on windows 10. unit has no software with it what do i need to get hold of (drivers ect) to possible get it working
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdontap View Post
dont know if anyone still watches this thread but ive just been given an old n12. I.m on windows 10. unit has no software with it what do i need to get hold of (drivers ect) to possible get it working
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...sic_production

You should be able to get what you need from this page. There is no firmware link for the N12 any more so depending on what firmware your N12 has you may have to get it from someone else. I'm on a Mac so I can't help you there.

You will need the firewire driver, the N tools and the N firmware updater. If you go to the link it will say [Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver + n Extension] TOOLS for n V2.7.4 for Win 10/ 8.1/ 8/ 7 (64-bit)

Click on that and it will explain what you need.
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsong View Post
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...sic_production

You should be able to get what you need from this page. There is no firmware link for the N12 any more so depending on what firmware your N12 has you may have to get it from someone else. I'm on a Mac so I can't help you there.

You will need the firewire driver, the N tools and the N firmware updater. If you go to the link it will say [Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver + n Extension] TOOLS for n V2.7.4 for Win 10/ 8.1/ 8/ 7 (64-bit)

Click on that and it will explain what you need.
Thanks that looks good. all the firmware updates seem to be windows 7 and xp? any idea if these will work in compatibility mode? seem's odd if there is windows 10 FW Driver? but not the other stuff any suggestions?
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks that looks good. all the firmware updates seem to be windows 7 and xp? any idea if these will work in compatibility mode? seem's odd if there is windows 10 FW Driver? but not the other stuff any suggestions?
It's been along time since I did anything on Windows so I'm not sure about compatibility mode but as long as you have the required version it should be fine. The FW driver is the key and having you're N12 firmware up to date. Do you know what the N12 was being run on before?
Old 10th October 2017
Here for the gear
no idea until i pick it up i suppose there is a way of finding out off the unit what firmwear it has. i will check out the manual.
Old 11th October 2017
Gear Maniac

there is an official windows 10 release and it works flawlessly, I regret having sold mine really
Old 11th October 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
there is an official windows 10 release and it works flawlessly, I regret having sold mine really
Thanks mate could you send me a link and any tips about installing the software. Also do i need to take any notice of their warnings in red type about not updating the firmware?
Old 11th October 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thanks mate could you send me a link and any tips about installing the software. Also do i need to take any notice of their warnings in red type about not updating the firmware?
apparently its already been running on a windows 10 machine running "Firewire 1394_OHCI_LegacyDriver" a microsoft download?? pick it up today cant wait to have a play about with it. I love old kit and second hand bargains that present a bit of a challenge. cant afford top dollar for new stuff.
Old 12th October 2017
Here for the gear
unpacked last night. Came in original box n packing looks mint as new what a great looking piece of kit well impressed.
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Here are the latest and perhaps last drivers as MS says W10 is going to be their last OS, a couple tips on install.
Make sure the N12 is turned off when you install the drivers.
you must install version 1.6 first as the rest were just updates, re-boot and the install the latest version that actually states W10 support and it does and works flawlessly, I'm very disappointed in Yamaha, they were on the edge of doing something very special with the N12 line and who knows where we could be now, freaking jerks, but I used mine for a decade and it never gave me an issue at all and I used a 30 foot firewire cable with it to put the workstation in a closet. the firmware update is a little more complicated, be careful if you choose to do it because there's no going back, I was fortunate to have George walk me through it on the phone, but George AKA Geosync who worked for Yamaha and had a hand in developing the N series ho longer works for them and has began a job working for the NSA, don't ask me what he does, I've asked and he isn't volunteering any info he did direct me to this link though about 6 months ago, good luck, do them exactly as I said or you'll have nothing but trouble

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support.../61780_en.html
Old 14th October 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Here are the latest and perhaps last drivers as MS says W10 is going to be their last OS, a couple tips on install.
Make sure the N12 is turned off when you install the drivers.
you must install version 1.6 first as the rest were just updates, re-boot and the install the latest version that actually states W10 support and it does and works flawlessly, I'm very disappointed in Yamaha, they were on the edge of doing something very special with the N12 line and who knows where we could be now, freaking jerks, but I used mine for a decade and it never gave me an issue at all and I used a 30 foot firewire cable with it to put the workstation in a closet. the firmware update is a little more complicated, be careful if you choose to do it because there's no going back, I was fortunate to have George walk me through it on the phone, but George AKA Geosync who worked for Yamaha and had a hand in developing the N series ho longer works for them and has began a job working for the NSA, don't ask me what he does, I've asked and he isn't volunteering any info he did direct me to this link though about 6 months ago, good luck, do them exactly as I said or you'll have nothing but trouble

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support.../61780_en.html
thanks very impressed with it even as a stand alone. Installing it now so fingers crossed. Just opened ableton and all the ins n outs are showing on the dialogue box so will try and plug in some hardware in a bit
Old 14th October 2017
Here for the gear
fantastic easy set up practically plug n play. And this thing sounds as good as most big studio desks I've heard. is it possible to get the DAW controls working in Ableton i wonder.
Old 14th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
fantastic easy set up practically plug n play. And this thing sounds as good as most big studio desks I've heard. is it possible to get the DAW controls working in Ableton i wonder.
it's not a controller, no flying faders, it doesn't control any aspect of your software unless you're using Cubase or Nuendo and then it's just a transport with some channel switching and channel assign capabilities.

it will work with any DAW the same as any other interface would but you will only get basic transport control from the N, it's has to be set up as Mackie control in your software and the N will read it

but enjoy it, it is one sweet sounding little piece of kit, very capable of great recordings
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

i will always love the guys using the Yamaha N series.
The mixer section sounds very good and I miss it.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

make sure you keep the drivers updated
Old 14th October 2017
Here for the gear

N12 WIN 10 FW driver issues "Crash"

After updated to windows 10 i can make the FW driver work.
It's the latest one from feb 2017. (274 64Bit)

There is no hardware change on THE PC end.

Many days lost. Out of options.

Pls.Advice
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaso_bobinata View Post
After updated to windows 10 i can make the FW driver work.
It's the latest one from feb 2017. (274 64Bit)

There is no hardware change on THE PC end.

Many days lost. Out of options.

Pls.Advice
update everything, including whatever you're using for a firewire port, ideally you're using a PCIE card with a TI chipset, remove and reinstall newest drivers on it, uninstall everything and try again, my guess is that your issue isn't something complicated, the N can be a very fussy about it's firewire port, best to give it it's own
Old 15th October 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
update everything, including whatever you're using for a firewire port, ideally you're using a PCIE card with a TI chipset, remove and reinstall newest drivers on it, uninstall everything and try again, my guess is that your issue isn't something complicated, the N can be a very fussy about it's firewire port, best to give it it's own
my pc didn't have a fire-wire port. got this off amazon £18 PCI FIREWIRE 400 CARD - IEEE1394a - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - TI DUAL CHIPSET worked first time.
Old 18th October 2017
Here for the gear
all seems ok just cant get the makie control functions and midi port working. Not that important as i run the transport from my novation keyboard but would be nice to have it work. any suggestions?
Old 30th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:

Many thanks!
Regedit - Yamaha ASIO - removed - Works like a charm

Conclusion - Windows is crap.
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaso_bobinata View Post
Many thanks!
Regedit - Yamaha ASIO - removed - Works like a charm

Conclusion - Windows is crap.
glad to read you got it happening and if I played a roll in that you're welcome, the N12 is/was a really cool concept, It's kind of a shame that Yamaha didn't expand on it, it was just a few features away from being something really special and still sounds great regardless, it amazes me that these can be bought for just a few hundred and less these days, a no brainer for small/home studios or even live platforms, I really have absolutely nothing bad to say about it other than I wish they would have expanded the line, I don't think the Steinberg partnership was the wisest move they could have made but that's none of my business.. although I can't help but wonder where we would be had they partnered with somebody like Justin Frankel the designer of Reaper
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does Yamaha still update the MacOS drivers etc.? I'd still like one of these, but spending money on anything with firewire in 2017 seems like a losing proposition.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Does Yamaha still update the MacOS drivers etc.? I'd still like one of these, but spending money on anything with firewire in 2017 seems like a losing proposition.
firwire was never an issue for the N.. there are windows 10 drivers and MS says it will be their last OS so I can't speak for updates either, if enough people demanded them and I would guess there will be.. Mac I wouldn't have a clue
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search