The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha n Series
Old 4th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3871
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

i am thinking about going all in on yamaha and cubase

my thoughts are

2x N12's and a Motif XF 7 and cubase 6.

can N12 tech explain how all this would work together? best way to set up?

i am thinking the quality and stability of all these components working together would allow me to get back to writing with all the tools i would need at my hands

i am interested in summing back out of cubase as well so maybe

3x n12's and the motif XF? is it still 3 devices though?

anyone have an all in setup like this?

thanks!
Old 5th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3872
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i am thinking about going all in on yamaha and cubase

my thoughts are

2x N12's and a Motif XF 7 and cubase 6.

can N12 tech explain how all this would work together? best way to set up?

i am thinking the quality and stability of all these components working together would allow me to get back to writing with all the tools i would need at my hands

i am interested in summing back out of cubase as well so maybe

3x n12's and the motif XF? is it still 3 devices though?

anyone have an all in setup like this?

thanks!
I've Got 3 N8's working here (it would be the same if it were n12's) .....on Vista x64 with the latest drivers.... And to your question the short answer is no...tutt It's 3 devices Only..... So either two N12's and one Motif or 3 N12's... can't comment on Cubase 6 cause i'm currently on Cubase Studio 4, but i've have read on this thread a few pages back that some folks ARE using it with cubase 6 without any problems........

The way i've got it setup is like this, both N8 & N12 has Two firewire Ports.... So firewire cable from computer goes into Mixer #1 in one of the slots, then the extra slot from Mixer 1 goes into Mixer 2, then the extra slot from Mixer 2 goes into Mixer 3..... All that is just for the computer to recognize all 3 mixers..... Then I have the "Control room Out" (or you can use the 2TR(RCA) out/ or Stereo out) from Mixer 3 going into the 2TR (RCA) in mixer 2 then out from that going to the 2TR (RCA IN) into Mixer #1.....

Then the Control Room outs of Mixer #1 goes to my KRK V8 II speakers....... So When I'm reading to record my mix I just enable a stereo audio track in Cubase and setup the input of the track to ST IN, and presto...... I know the way i've explained it is a bit long, so maybe N12 tech could chime in and just confirm/make things clear.... But that's just the way I have it setup for me....

Hope this helps....
Old 6th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3873
Gear Head
 

FW Driver Device Limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i am thinking about going all in on yamaha and cubase

my thoughts are

2x N12's and a Motif XF 7 and cubase 6.

can N12 tech explain how all this would work together? best way to set up?

i am thinking the quality and stability of all these components working together would allow me to get back to writing with all the tools i would need at my hands

i am interested in summing back out of cubase as well so maybe

3x n12's and the motif XF? is it still 3 devices though?

anyone have an all in setup like this?

thanks!

Hello everybody,

Please keep in mind that the FW driver has a 3 device limitation which would allow the following:

3 N8s
3 N12s
3 Motifs
3 MR816s

or any combination of the above. So if you need to use 3 N12s and a Motif XF then here are two set ups.

2 N12s and the Motif XF via FW or 3 N12s and the Motif XF analogue into one of the N12s.

Old 8th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3874
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteye View Post
Aloha guys,

Got the word from Yamaha.

Yamaha Downloads Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Compatibility Table

One more piece of the puzzle locks in place.
{'-'}
So I get ready to up-grade my 'puter to Lion and just to be sure
I check the Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Compatibility Table one more time
and oops!

The n12 drivers/tools status is now back to: 'Evaluating'.

Sup with that Yamaha guys?
Glad I did not yet pull the trigger with Lion.

{'-'}
Old 9th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3875
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerlameland View Post
so it's a very simple conflict with the video card. if i use the onboard video, there seem to be no clicks, pops, or stalls, and i moved the gt 520 video card to the other slot and it seems slightly better, but i guess it's useless because the n12 doesn't work with the video card... does this make any sense?
no thoughts on this? i played with a bunch of settings today and couldn't get anything to change. tried to figure out how to turn off hardware accelerating in windows 7, but doesn't seem like it can be done?? seems to work perfectly when i disable the video card and use the onboard video, but it looks a bit crappy. i guess i'll have to switch when i'm using the n12, but that's seems a bit weird. anyone think it would work if i get an offboard firewire card with the right chipset?
Old 11th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3876
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteye View Post
The n12 drivers/tools status is now back to: 'Evaluating'.
See
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...11138&start=25

"The MR816 will receive an update mid of September. It is basically ready but needs some final testing first."
Old 11th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3877
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Aloha K and thank you for that info.

That info is about the MR816 stuff.

I was referring to the n-12/8 drivers/tools stuff.

The 'Yamaha Downloads Mac OS X Lion (10.7) Compatibility Table'
site had already posted that the n12/8 stuff was OK for Lion.

They not only had 'green' labels marking that the n12/8 stuff was ok,
they also said on the YamahaSynth.com site that:

Latest News Aug.30.2011
Mac OS X Lion (10.7) compatibility information has been updated.

And it had been. At least for a while.

But now it seems the n-12/8 situation is back to: Evaluating'.
{'-'}
Old 23rd September 2011 | Show parent
  #3878
Gear Head
 

another try?

i'm still having all the clicks and pops and stalls. wasn't there someone in this thread who had a gigabyte motherboard with the TI chip, but had success only after switching to an offboard firewire card? it's win 7 64 bit. everything loaded properly. cubase light comes on. everything seems to function properly and it sounds great part of the time, but with buffers at settings that give me almost 2 seconds of latency, i'm still getting clicks and pops way beyond useable...
Old 27th September 2011
  #3879
Gear Head
 

Did you turn off the internet?
Old 28th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3880
Gear Head
 

thanks for the reply! i did turn off the internet. it's being unbelievably schizophrenic. today it works almost perfectly, but i didn't change anything except i started the computer and n12 before plugging in my usb line6 toneport. i never even considered that might make a difference... do the usb and firewire share something that would mess up the n12? actually, i just realized! today i forgot to turn off the internet and i had only a couple clicks and stalls... very odd this process, but it's a really fun piece of kit!

i just today asked my computer shop about a new firewire card even though my motherboard has the ti chip on it. does anyone know if a good dedicated firewire card might have more consistent throughput (or whatever you want to call it??) than the one on the motherboard? i'm still getting my head around this thing, but can't wait to start some real recording...
Old 29th September 2011
  #3881
Here for the gear
 

Anyone having issues on Mac OS X 10.6.8?

I have this weird problem. If I boot on Windows via Bootcamp the N12 works flawlessly.. But on Mac OS X just trying to hear some music through it I get 3 or 4 seconds of audio, then a sudden stop and iTunes "freezes" (the app is still running, but the time bar just stays there). If I stop all audio for a couple of secs and play it again it does the same thing: 3 or 4 secs of audio, then dies..

I tried the N12 on Logic and I can't get to record or play anything at all.. weird thing is that it's perfectly recognized, I can change the sample rate and recording modes but when trying to record or play nothing comes out even though the waves are being "drawn"..

I'm using the latest tools for N for Mac 2.7.0 and tried the standalone Mac FW driver v1.7.0 too.

PS: I updated to Lion and it does the same thing.. Do you think it's driver related??
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
  #3882
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerlameland View Post
thanks for the reply! i did turn off the internet. it's being unbelievably schizophrenic. today it works almost perfectly, but i didn't change anything except i started the computer and n12 before plugging in my usb line6 toneport. i never even considered that might make a difference... do the usb and firewire share something that would mess up the n12? actually, i just realized! today i forgot to turn off the internet and i had only a couple clicks and stalls... very odd this process, but it's a really fun piece of kit!

i just today asked my computer shop about a new firewire card even though my motherboard has the ti chip on it. does anyone know if a good dedicated firewire card might have more consistent throughput (or whatever you want to call it??) than the one on the motherboard? i'm still getting my head around this thing, but can't wait to start some real recording...

Hmmm.... Interesting..... I remember a while back i was having problems where I tried to update to the latest drivers from version 1.2.0 and I got clicks and pops all over the place at any settings.... reverted back to the aformentioned driver and everything worked great...... But then the strange thing is , about a few months later, I had to re-install my machine because of a corrupted windows(Vistax64) and when I did, I decided to Install the latest drivers, and Everything worked.... so........ I don't know if maybe trying a previous driver for you would work or not.... but just a thought......

By the way I'm using

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (using on-board firewire) -- (I had tried a PCI firewire when i was getting prorblems but it didn't solve anything)
Intel Core I7 -920
ATI Radeon 3850
3 yamaha n8 mixers
Old 5th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3883
I'm relatively new to the Mac system.

I'm using an N12 with Cubase 4.5 on a 2.2 ghz Macbook pro with 8 gb Ram. I have a Thunderbolt display that the N12 is plugged into.

(My previous computer was a 3.2 ghz P4. The N12 worked great with it. No problems at all.)

On the Macbook pro I installed the latest FW driver with the N extensions. I have the inputs and outputs working fine with no glitches but the Cubase Ready light is not coming on. Also I can't use direct monitoring.

I see that it says that the "link" function will only work with version 5 or later. Is that referring to the Cubase Ready light? Is this why direct monitoring is greyed out in the Devices panel?

Like I said I'm new to the Mac and I don't even know how to tell if I'm in 64bit mode or not. I know Cubase 4 isn't 64 bit but I'm lost as far as figuring out how to get the rest of this stuff working.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Frank
Old 8th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3884
Gear Head
 

still having alternating times of working perfectly and crapping out... very strange. yesterday i ran it for 15 minutes recording random guitar into 6 channels with 6 mics and it was a flawless and clean pass. sounds really great. then i added in some random halion midi bits. big organ chords and it started to stutter... but it's getting better.

an i3 with 8 gigs of ram should be able to run this no problem, correct?

anyway, not sure exactly what else to ask... i'll keep plugging away. but what i am wondering is where do people have the gain set?

if i'm using an sm57 and/or d112 should i have to have the gain full on all the way around to 4 or 5 o'clock? i was a little surprised to find that...

can't use the word, "stutter"??

Last edited by lowerlameland; 9th October 2011 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: because i wanted the word stutter, not a stupid emoticon...
Old 8th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3885
I depends how loud your source is. I don't find he mic pres particularily hot or weak.
Old 9th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3886
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerlameland View Post
if i'm using an sm57 and/or d112 should i have to have the gain full on all the way around to 4 or 5 o'clock? i was a little surprised to find that..
Aloha l,

As Bondsong said, it depends on your source level.

That being said; the first thing I plugged onto the n12 was a '57 and I
was surprised at how far 'open' the gain control had to be to get good/hot signal.

Still the n12 is a very clean machine.
{'-'}
Old 9th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3887
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteye View Post
Aloha l,

As Bondsong said, it depends on your source level.

That being said; the first thing I plugged onto the n12 was a '57 and I
was surprised at how far 'open' the gain control had to be to get good/hot signal.

Still the n12 is a very clean machine.
{'-'}
so maybe the pres are a little weak? they sound great so far, but i guess i'm wondering if having them driving so hard is asking for faster wear and tear? one of the videos says they have 84db of gain. i don't see how this can be true. my friend's chandlers have i think around 70 and if we had them up over 8 or whatever (on a scale of ten...) they would drive a truck through the wall.
Old 12th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3888
n12 stem the mix

hi guys maybe someome can answer this question- i've read you can stem your cubase channels into the n12 (which is a fantastic option!) and process those stems with eq and send that mixdown back into your computer. now, what i want to know is, does that function bypass your inserts? and can you use the onboard n12 reverb?
if it's possible, it maks the n12 an amazing beast- kinda like doing an 8 buss mixdown on a big analog desk, with the compressors/fx of your choice on the inserts for major character and punch for the individual stems. then back to your computer as a stereo file for final mastering of your choice.
anyone tried this?
andrew
punkabub sound
Old 12th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3889
BTW it can be interesting to all of you (ADC/DAC chips, opamps):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6681319-post61.html
Old 17th October 2011
  #3890
Here for the gear
 

Hey All..

i REALLY REALLY need some help. i have the Yamaha n12 mixer. i WAS using it with Cubase AI4 (still use it every now and then). NOW i mainly use Logic Pro (versions 8 and 9).

my dilemma is that i have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to set up Logic Pro in order to be able to create mixes on my N12....i.e: Logic Pro -> Yamaha n12 -> and then send those signals BACK from the mixer into Logic for further touch-ups (with Logic effects plug-ins etc..) to incorporate a bit of both worlds in the mix.

i've read eveything... threads, tutorials, user manuals...EVERYTHING! EVERYTHING!!

from what i gather, it has something to do with the I/O PLUG-IN that Logic offers...i just have no idea how to set it up properly.

I REALLY would like to be able to use my Yamaha n12 for everything that it offers. and i REALLY want to be able to control tracks from my Logic DAW with my n12 mixer.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. SIMPLE, DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE PREFERRED (not advanced with this stuff). THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Old 17th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3891
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEstudio View Post
i REALLY want to be able to control tracks from my Logic DAW with my n12 mixer.
Aloha A,

Page 49 of the manual:
Quote:
Using the n8/n12 with a DAW other than Cubase
HTH
{'-'}
Old 18th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3892
Here for the gear
 

N12

Yay . . .
Old 18th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3893
Here for the gear
 

Curteye,

Thanks for the reply. Ive already read that section of the user manual. it doesnt really explain it clear enough for me to understand how to route inputs/outputs properly. its quite vague...for my experience level at least. and the diagram isn't exactly the most helpful either. IMO. but i HAVE tried to understand....many times. Read and re-read...i just cant wrap my head around the basics. :(

this is why i posted here in the forum. i was hoping maybe i can get a quick walk-through....step by step....

from there i would create a template...so i could just open that and all the tracks (in DAW) will already be routed to the individual tracks on my n12.

if you could assist me with the setup.... if you've done it before for yourself... that would be THE MOST appreciated.

any one else with knowledge on this matter, PLEASE help!!

one love.
Old 19th October 2011
  #3894
Gear Head
 

Having been a Sonar user for years, I ran into the same problem. After trying everything I could think of, and looking for help, I finally decided to learn Cubase AI4... I will be hoping you get what you want, and watching to see.... good luck!
Old 19th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3895
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Aloha guys, Ma bad. I can't help. I use my n12 with Cubase 6.

@AEstudio: I see what you mean.

According to the manual you can only do
three things using another DAW.

From the manual:
If you are using a typical DAW (other than Cubase),
you will be able to do the following.
• Input and output audio signals
• Input and output MIDI messages
• Use remote control to operate the DAW


Perhaps poster N12Tech has some additional info on this and will chime in.
{'-'}
Old 20th October 2011 | Show parent
  #3896
Gear Head
 

Other DAW controls with the N series

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteye View Post
Aloha guys, Ma bad. I can't help. I use my n12 with Cubase 6.

@AEstudio: I see what you mean.

According to the manual you can only do
three things using another DAW.

From the manual:
If you are using a typical DAW (other than Cubase),
you will be able to do the following.
• Input and output audio signals
• Input and output MIDI messages
• Use remote control to operate the DAW


Perhaps poster N12Tech has some additional info on this and will chime in.
{'-'}

The N series transport will only work in DAWs that can use the Mackie Control protocol. It does not support HUI.
Old 22nd October 2011 | Show parent
  #3897
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Aloha guys
There has been some up-dating at the Yamaha site.
Looks like us n12 users are all most there re: Lion (Mac 10.7)

Check here:
http://download.yamaha.com/os-compatibility/lion/
{'-'}
Old 1st November 2011 | Show parent
  #3898
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam_e_oveR View Post
Anyone having issues on Mac OS X 10.6.8?

I have this weird problem. If I boot on Windows via Bootcamp the N12 works flawlessly.. But on Mac OS X just trying to hear some music through it I get 3 or 4 seconds of audio, then a sudden stop and iTunes "freezes" (the app is still running, but the time bar just stays there). If I stop all audio for a couple of secs and play it again it does the same thing: 3 or 4 secs of audio, then dies..

I tried the N12 on Logic and I can't get to record or play anything at all.. weird thing is that it's perfectly recognized, I can change the sample rate and recording modes but when trying to record or play nothing comes out even though the waves are being "drawn"..

I'm using the latest tools for N for Mac 2.7.0 and tried the standalone Mac FW driver v1.7.0 too.

PS: I updated to Lion and it does the same thing.. Do you think it's driver related??
I run OS X 10.5.8 and find the latest drivers a bit shaky. Seems that my n8 is not fond of having other objects connected in the firewire chain, I have weird dropouts every now and then, not in a logical way, and I have no idea when and why it happens as it's not always, and not every day but still annoying.
Old 3rd November 2011 | Show parent
  #3899
Gear Maniac
 

Anyone else who experience weird things when:

Connecting to FW800 connectors ?
Connecting other FW gear (HD's etc.) in daisy chain with the N8/N12 ?


I have a mac mini with FW800, and a Lacie external harddrive with both FW800 (2 of them) and FW400 connectors.

Mac->Lacie800 and then Lacie400->N8

and

Mac->Lacie800 and then Lacie800->N8

Did not turn out well, dropouts, hickups and other "ups"..


So finally what seems to be ok (still a bit shaky, but better, no dropouts, just some occasional glitches) was:

Mac->N8 and then N8->Lacie


So it seems the Yamaha device need to be first in chain after the computer, and then anything else after the Yamaha...


Anyone else with experiences on this subject?
Old 3rd November 2011 | Show parent
  #3900
Gear Maniac
 
curteye's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Don View Post
Anyone else who experience weird things when:

Connecting to FW800 connectors ?
Connecting other FW gear (HD's etc.) in daisy chain with the N8/N12 ?


I have a mac mini with FW800, and a Lacie external harddrive with both FW800 (2 of them) and FW400 connectors.

Mac->Lacie800 and then Lacie400->N8
and
Mac->Lacie800 and then Lacie800->N8
Did not turn out well, dropouts, hickups and other "ups"..
So finally what seems to be ok (still a bit shaky, but better, no dropouts, just some occasional glitches) was:
Mac->N8 and then N8->Lacie
So it seems the Yamaha device need to be first in chain after the computer, and then anything else after the Yamaha...
Anyone else with experiences on this subject?

Aloha Don,

I went thru the same ordeal as you and what works for me is:

n12 FW400 out—>LaCie then LaCie FW800 out—> iMac.

Been using this set-up for quite a while now with no probs.

One note tho'
I power up the Mac first and then I turn on the n12.


HTH
{'-'}
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 771 views: 131556
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 27th October 2013
replies: 97 views: 28103
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 73 views: 10220
Avatar for sprack
sprack 9th February 2010
replies: 2602 views: 348132
Avatar for nativeaudio
nativeaudio 20th May 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump