The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 11th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
Umm, but you did to a degree with the certainty in your tone that "pros" would never record this way.

talk to me when you remember your own quotes. there's no need to back peddle. simply accept the finality of your response for what it was: bollocks.

i couldn't agree more that it isn't optimum, and in fact said so in my response to the nonsense you posted. my point was simple in the fact that tracking drums and monitoring in the same room has, is and will be done in the past and the future by "pros"
Fine. You ignore my other relevant statements, but still - I'll rephrase the one that offends you so mightily to: the vast majority of pro studios have a separate room for (at least) the drums and mixer and record the drums in that fashion. Cool?
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

@ Audio Hombre...

Please don't feed the fish....
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmacguy View Post
I'll rephrase the one that offends you so mightily to: the vast majority of pro studios have a separate room for (at least) the drums and mixer and record the drums in that fashion. Cool?
Not really, in alot of instances the control room is just on the other side of a huge, beautifully acoustic room........all open, all one room. Like a church style room, high ceilings and big open rooms. This type of setup has it advantages too being that the engineer can hear the room with his on ears rather than through mics and phones alone. That can reveal alot.

I track drums in the same room as my mixer, and it's not really a problem. With dedicated tracking phones (the ones that seem so tight your ears sweat.) with little bleed, it works OK.
Old 12th May 2010
Gear Head

max channels

Hello,
How many audio channels will the n12 record simultaneously using Cubase AI4.5? I ask this because I have no idea what I am doing!
(there I said it) The Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver is the most baffling thing I have ever seen. If anyone can shed some light on this... thanks!

Douglas
Old 12th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteam View Post
Hello,
How many audio channels will the n12 record simultaneously using Cubase AI4.5? I ask this because I have no idea what I am doing!
(there I said it) The Yamaha Steinberg Firewire Driver is the most baffling thing I have ever seen. If anyone can shed some light on this... thanks!

Douglas

If you mean separate tracks from inputs: 14 (Ch 1-8, stereo ch. 9/10 and 11/12, and the 2-track in for another pair).

The latest FW driver is pretty much transparent on the Mac. Windows is, of course, another matter...
Old 13th May 2010
Gear Head

thanks mac!
Old 26th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If you mean separate tracks from inputs: 14 (Ch 1-8, stereo ch. 9/10 and 11/12, and the 2-track in for another pair).

The latest FW driver is pretty much transparent on the Mac. Windows is, of course, another matter...
what does this mean? is the drivers unstable on XP? The price on the n12s have been sliced, and I am thinking about maybe getting one for my XP/Nuendo rig. is that a bad choice?
Old 26th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn Lavoll View Post
what does this mean? is the drivers unstable on XP? The price on the n12s have been sliced, and I am thinking about maybe getting one for my XP/Nuendo rig. is that a bad choice?
This is a subject that has filled this forum. The drivers themselves (both Mac and PC) are fine, but I'll leave it to the other users to take the questions on Windows XP hardware. I would suggest getting a cheap Mac (the Mini) and dedicate that to your digital audio recording, and using the PC for everything else. It's just much easier.

If your heart is set on using a PC, there's plenty of info on setting it up if you look back through the forum.

Good luck.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear nut

Hi again folks,

Quick question: are the mic preamps automatically engaged whenever you plug in via the XLR inputs? I'm trying to connect my balanced AXE-FX outputs into the N12, but my understanding is that the mic preamps shouldn't be engaged for this...am I wrong?

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
Hi again folks,

Quick question: are the mic preamps automatically engaged whenever you plug in via the XLR inputs? I'm trying to connect my balanced AXE-FX outputs into the N12, but my understanding is that the mic preamps shouldn't be engaged for this...am I wrong?

Cheers!
i don't own one but am seriously thinking about getting one and from what I understand, the 8 mic inputs have inserts. you should be able to simply line into a channel and if you want to bypass the preamp, use an insert. but i'd imagine that there would be no harm and very little coloration or degradation if you simply lined into an input.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
This is a subject that has filled this forum. The drivers themselves (both Mac and PC) are fine, but I'll leave it to the other users to take the questions on Windows XP hardware. I would suggest getting a cheap Mac (the Mini) and dedicate that to your digital audio recording, and using the PC for everything else. It's just much easier.

If your heart is set on using a PC, there's plenty of info on setting it up if you look back through the forum.

Good luck.
Has worked well on every XP machine I have installed it on over 30 to date. Never a a glitch.....never. Some of the best drivers out there.thumbsup
Old 27th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
i don't own one but am seriously thinking about getting one and from what I understand, the 8 mic inputs have inserts. you should be able to simply line into a channel and if you want to bypass the preamp, use an insert. but i'd imagine that there would be no harm and very little coloration or degradation if you simply lined into an input.
I made a few recordings since I last posted using the XLR outputs on the Axe and the XLR inputs on the N8. It seems the preamps are activated that way for sure; adjusting the gain has an effect.

So the back of the N12 has "Insert", "Input" and the XLR. Would the colouration between the XLR and the "Input" be the same?

Does "insert", on the other hand, completely bypass the preamps???

Is a regular patch chord OK to connect the Axe-FX to the insert/input, or do I need a speaker or special type of cable?

Cheers!
Old 27th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I made a few recordings since I last posted using the XLR outputs on the Axe and the XLR inputs on the N8. It seems the preamps are activated that way for sure; adjusting the gain has an effect.

So the back of the N12 has "Insert", "Input" and the XLR. Would the colouration between the XLR and the "Input" be the same?

Does "insert", on the other hand, completely bypass the preamps???

Is a regular patch chord OK to connect the Axe-FX to the insert/input, or do I need a speaker or special type of cable?

Cheers!

an insert typically uses a balanced TRS (tip,ring,sleeve) cable. this enables use with compressors and eq's where the send/return are both sent and received on a single cable and the signal needs to be post pre.or, when using external preamps feeding analog ins of an interface. so yes, you'd need a male end of a trs cable, with the other end being whatever is required to to connect to the output of your axe/fx.
Old 27th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
an insert typically uses a balanced TRS (tip,ring,sleeve) cable. this enables use with compressors and eq's where the send/return are both sent and received on a single cable and the signal needs to be post pre.or, when using external preamps feeding analog ins of an interface. so yes, you'd need a male end of a trs cable, with the other end being whatever is required to to connect to the output of your axe/fx.
Much appreciated.

So if I plug into the "insert" section of the N12 will it bypass the mic preamps?

As for the Axe-FX, it can output either as XLR balanced or unbalanced (I guess TRS?? This is still all new to me). Any idea I should be using the XLR or the unbalanced outputs to connect to the N12?
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Much appreciated.

So if I plug into the "insert" section of the N12 will it bypass the mic preamps?
indeed it should fully bypass the preamp.

as for the cable, i would use the [balanced] xlr out of your box if possible. generally for this purpose, you have F xlr to 1/4'' TRS but i guess it's possible that the OUT of your box might be a M xlr. but either way, the cables are easy to find.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
I just wish there was better control surface support with Reaper. Everyone claims to use the Mackie setup, but only the play/rewind/ff work. Nothing else.
@DarbyOhara

have you made any headway with how the n12 is working with reaper? any expanded control features with the new revs of reaper for eg?
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

why did someone tell you not to use the n12 preamps and the fractal?

i have had my fractal standard into stereo input 9/10 on my n12 for 2 years and routinely dial in a nice setting between the fractal inputs/outputs and the n12 pre to add some nice strength

i have some other nice preamps and channel strips such a pendulum audio quartet, LA 610, and a sebatron thorax. i find the n12 pre's and channel strips very very good
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
why did someone tell you not to use the n12 preamps and the fractal?

i have had my fractal standard into stereo input 9/10 on my n12 for 2 years and routinely dial in a nice setting between the fractal inputs/outputs and the n12 pre to add some nice strength

i have some other nice preamps and channel strips such a pendulum audio quartet, LA 610, and a sebatron thorax. i find the n12 pre's and channel strips very very good
did someone tell him to bypass the pres or is this just his thinking? but yes, i whole heatedly agree. with a decent amp circuit, i've never ever had a problem lining into the preamp, even if i was controlling the input gain from the source.

Quote:
but i'd imagine that there would be no harm and very little coloration or degradation if you simply lined into an input.
i was just trying to help him understand what the inserts are for.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm trying to connect my balanced AXE-FX outputs into the N12, but my understanding is that the mic preamps shouldn't be engaged for this...am I wrong?

from the quick read i did i thought someone told him not to use the pre's in addition to the output/pre section of the fractal

but if i was wrong then i would still advise him to try it either way and see what works best for him. for me i have had great success with just the n12 channel strips. i am actually doing a whole bunch of songs with a friend right now with jsut the n12 into cubase 5 and it sounds really good

hmmmm, do i need this other stuff??

anyway, the fractal is very well built and has great electronics in it, i have found a little boost with the n12 gives it a nice touch
Old 28th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm trying to connect my balanced AXE-FX outputs into the N12, but my understanding is that the mic preamps shouldn't be engaged for this...am I wrong?

from the quick read i did i thought someone told him not to use the pre's in addition to the output/pre section of the fractal

but if i was wrong then i would still advise him to try it either way and see what works best for him. for me i have had great success with just the n12 channel strips. i am actually doing a whole bunch of songs with a friend right now with jsut the n12 into cubase 5 and it sounds really good

hmmmm, do i need this other stuff??

anyway, the fractal is very well built and has great electronics in it, i have found a little boost with the n12 gives it a nice touch
Sorry guys. The simple truth is that I have very little to no knowledge of how this stuff works and I tend to latch on to little bits I read here and there.

I actually went to the local guitar shop to talk with one of the staff there and he agreed with you, trock. No need to bypass the N12 preamps. He recommended using the Axe's XLR outputs directly into the XLR inputs and adjusting the gain and output strength of the Axe appropriately - no fuss, no muss.

I didn't realize channels 9/10 were a special kind of stereo pair. I notice these don't have XLR inputs. Are you going TRS to TRS - i.e. from the Fractal's unbalanced outputs into channels 9/10?

I really appreciate both of your help.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereisbasso View Post
The N8/N12 is supposed to function as a stand alone mixer if I am not mistaken, and the one I just received sends no audio to the ST or CR outputs on the back at all!

The CR phones bus works fine, but I wonder if anyone has had this problem or whether the unit might be damaged? Please let me know if you have information which could help.

I'd talk about my problems getting drivers later, that is a whole other frustrating mess (windows 7 64 bit anyone?)

Thanks in advance!
I've used an n12 as a stand alone mixer many times. Check all of your routing carefully before sending it for service.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Hey There

all good, i actually just didn't want you getting bad info.

i run them XLR to TRS actually.

on the n12 you have 8 mono tracks with full channel strips, aka 1-8

9/10 and 11/12 are stereo tracks. so instead of wasting 2 mono tracks, panned hard L and R to get my fractal into cubase on a stereo track, i just run it into 9/10. the fact that the cable distance is so short you will hear no degredation in sound quality going unbalanced if need be.

i try and run mono devices into the mono tracks and stereo into the stereo tracks

i have on the n12

Channel 1 - Pendulum audio quartet
Channel 2 - LA 610
Channel 3 - Sebatron thorax
Channel 4/5 - POD XT Pro, but this takes 2 mono tracks up and to make a stereo track work in cubase you have to pan these hard L and R
Channel 6/7 - Digi Eleven Rack, smae thing as above
Channel 8 - used for direct elec or bass with a plugin if needed, like amp 3
Channel 9/10 - Fractal
Channel 11/12 - Triton Pro stereo in

man i love the n12

anyway, hope this helps you see how much you can do with this great board

also rock solid drivers, great AD/DA etc

and heck great price

so anyway, i would run XLR to XLR, IF you have the open tracks into say 1-2, but pan those tracks hard L and R. then in cubase set a new stereo input to 1-2 and name it fractal

use the channel strips to taste, pre's, eq, comp etc, even verb if you don't need to print dry

whatever works

between the n12 and fractal you have 2 stellar pieces.
Old 28th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Hey There

all good, i actually just didn't want you getting bad info.

i run them XLR to TRS actually.

on the n12 you have 8 mono tracks with full channel strips, aka 1-8

9/10 and 11/12 are stereo tracks. so instead of wasting 2 mono tracks, panned hard L and R to get my fractal into cubase on a stereo track, i just run it into 9/10. the fact that the cable distance is so short you will hear no degredation in sound quality going unbalanced if need be.

i try and run mono devices into the mono tracks and stereo into the stereo tracks

i have on the n12

Channel 1 - Pendulum audio quartet
Channel 2 - LA 610
Channel 3 - Sebatron thorax
Channel 4/5 - POD XT Pro, but this takes 2 mono tracks up and to make a stereo track work in cubase you have to pan these hard L and R
Channel 6/7 - Digi Eleven Rack, smae thing as above
Channel 8 - used for direct elec or bass with a plugin if needed, like amp 3
Channel 9/10 - Fractal
Channel 11/12 - Triton Pro stereo in

man i love the n12

anyway, hope this helps you see how much you can do with this great board

also rock solid drivers, great AD/DA etc

and heck great price

so anyway, i would run XLR to XLR, IF you have the open tracks into say 1-2, but pan those tracks hard L and R. then in cubase set a new stereo input to 1-2 and name it fractal

use the channel strips to taste, pre's, eq, comp etc, even verb if you don't need to print dry

whatever works

between the n12 and fractal you have 2 stellar pieces.
Man, thanks so much. This was SO helpful.

Funny, my N12 never has more than 1 or 2 things plugged into it at a time. I'm wondering what the hell you're doing with all that stuff! I only recognize the POD and the Axe-FX!

I guess what got me scratching my head in the first place - aside from the misinformation I got from another forum - is the fact that my direct recordings sounded so bad compared to the patches coming out of my powered Yorkville monitor. I wonder why there's such a huge discrepancy? I guess I just have to re-tweak my patches for direct recording?

And I know this is ultra-n00bstyles, but is a TRS the same thing that a guitar patch chord uses? i.e. I can use a patch chord to connect the Axe to the N12?

Again, thanks so much trock. And to you, too, Audio Hombre. I am much obliged.
Old 28th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

And I know this is ultra-n00bstyles, but is a TRS the same thing that a guitar patch chord uses? i.e. I can use a patch chord to connect the Axe to the N12?

Again, thanks so much trock. And to you, too, Audio Hombre. I am much obliged.
this

I'd recommend you buy quality cables, ie canare,rapco, pro co etc and not cheap hosa's.you'll also need to determine the length you'll need.
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear interested

I recently purchased a Yamaha N8 and I can't get my IEEE 1394 port to sync correctly. I an running Vista 64bit and the mLAN drivers only seem to support 32bit operating systems. Is there something I can do to fix this or a different driver I can use that is compatible with the Yamaha N Series?
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear Nut

Looping a track through an analog box -possible??

I know we use the n-series inserts to plug in outboard pre's etc for tracking.

But what if I want to post-process a track through an analogue device. Is there a way to route it out via the n12 to an analog comp then back into the DAW for instance?

I've studied the manual and delved this thread as much as humanly possible - and the answer appears to be "Can't". Am I right?

Thanks - Terence
Cubase 5/ n12
Old 3rd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
I know we use the n-series inserts to plug in outboard pre's etc for tracking.

But what if I want to post-process a track through an analogue device. Is there a way to route it out to an analog comp then back in for instance?

I've studied the manual and delved this thread as much as humanly possible - and the answer appears to be "Can't". Am I right?

Thanks - Terence
Cubase 5/ n12

the inserts in most consoles aren't used for inserting preamps, they're namely used for insert devices, ie compressors and eq's. all you need is a TRS Y cable

Old 4th June 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
the inserts in most consoles aren't used for inserting preamps, they're namely used for insert devices, ie compressors and eq's. all you need is a TRS Y cable

Not for the n-Series - if you check back this is the only way to bypass the pres.

Yes I do understand about insert cables, thanks. But that's not what I'm asking about. This is question specific to the n-series.

Thanks anyway,
Terence
Old 4th June 2010
Lives for gear

re-reading your post,i did actually misinterpret your post, but not the way you thought.

an insert is an insert is an insert. n12 or not, the insert on the n12 acts exactly like it does on any console at least for tracking. now where I misread you i think,is that you're wondering how to insert a comp,eq what have you for mixdown. if the n12 acted like your typical inline console, then ya, it would work. but seeing that all your daw returns are coming in via firewire, there's a good chance that the whole analog *input stage* (mic,line and insert) is bypassed. if this is the case, well you're outta luck as far as post processing from what i can see.

but hopefully someone who has the unit can add more. i hope this isn't the case and that the f/wire return is pre mic/line, and not post but somehow i doubt it and it probably just comes in pre eq to make the eq available for mixing.
Old 4th June 2010
Gear maniac

the above is correct but you do have stereo out, so you can send stuff you want out through the stereo out and wire it back into 9/10 11/12

so you can basically single out say a stereo synth run it into some outboard stuff back into the n12,
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search