The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha n Series
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Putting an external compressor on your master mix

This procedure works great for a plugin compressor. I was just thinking though how I could use an external compressor instead of plugin on the stereo master.
Anyone doing this?

1. make sure nothing in your mix is going to the DAW channel in the N12 (this is output N12 L/R).
2. insert a new stereo track in cubase and set it's input as N12 stereo (N12-ST) and set its output to the DAW channel (N12-L/R).
3. Switch off the switch by the DAW volume pot which sends the signal to the stereo buss.
4. insert a compressor/limiter/eq or whatever on the stereo channel you created and then switch on the live monitor button.
5. on the N12 control room monitor section, switch to the DAW monitor switch - now you can hear the mix with the vst effects you inserted on the stero track you made. switch back to the stereo monitor input to hear it without.
Old 26th April 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
Well, first I am not here to argue or debate you on things. But since you are being persistant, I'll bite!

I am not going to weed back thru posts to see if you were informative to anyone... all I know is what you responded to my post. Then what you responded to the guy right after mine about tracking drums in the same room. It appears some folks are comfortable with the way the headphone amps operate in the N12. I don't and a few others agree. They suck! Am I doing something wrong? I know how to stick a f**king 1/4" phone plug into the mixer headphone jack! But most importantly, I know how to listen and compare. Or better said, I know what I don't hear. I've heard cheap stereos sound better. Once again, I am done with this issue. If you like the way they work in the N12... good for you!

And now I see a few more of your posts about tracking drums in the same room. What works for some people don't always work for others. I don't have a multi-room studio and have tracked acoustic drums in the same room as the complete setup. I've read and seen some of the best of them do it, nothing wrong with it. Compression and proper mic placement will do anyone some good!

But don't talk down to people in your posts... it shows signs of being an as s! I see you must be a Mac user too. I suppose you know that a Mac is better than a PC too! rotf...
Ha, well actually Macs do work far better than PCs, esp. for the purpose of recording audio. If you look back thru this now-immense post you will see the vast majority of problems are not with Yamaha hardware, but with PCs. Oh right, I forgot: you are "not going to weed back thru posts to see". If closing your mind is what works for you - good luck with that too!

As for tracking drums in the same room as the mixer, great for you, but I repeat: no pro studio in the world does that. I've worked in many great studios, perhaps you should visit one to see how the pro's do it.

I'm glad to give help to people who want it, but if you're just here to whine, i can't help you. If there's something wrong with the N12 phone outputs, get the f*cking thing fixed or shut up already.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

I'm trying to get an n8 going on a 64-bit vista PC. I installed the n tools latest drivers and managed to update firmware but the control panel is blank and there is no sound. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, the "6to4" adapter in device manager has an explanation mark and code 31.
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmacguy View Post
Ha, well actually Macs do work far better than PCs, esp. for the purpose of recording audio. If you look back thru this now-immense post you will see the vast majority of problems are not with Yamaha hardware, but with PCs. Oh right, I forgot: you are "not going to weed back thru posts to see". If closing your mind is what works for you - good luck with that too!

As for tracking drums in the same room as the mixer, great for you, but I repeat: no pro studio in the world does that. I've worked in many great studios, perhaps you should visit one to see how the pro's do it.

I'm glad to give help to people who want it, but if you're just here to whine, i can't help you. If there's something wrong with the N12 phone outputs, get the f*cking thing fixed or shut up already.

What an idiot! fuuck
Old 29th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg View Post
Attachment 156549

no you are not followoing the right procedure

look at the picture boot the n12 like that then update, if 1.07 does not work

try updating to 1.03 then to 1.07.
Been having issues getting a working connection under Windows 7.

I just found the Update Guide PDF but I don't see a mention of the buttons being pressed on the N12

Where is this manual that describes this picture for updating ? Thanks
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

On my fourth or fifth install on windows 7 here, still having the Steinberg FW control panel all greyed out.

Steps i took:

Reset firmware on N12.
Uninstalled previous drivers on PC.
W/ N12 power off I installed drivers
Updated firmware to 1.07 - this application found the N12 and updated properly
Installed sweet spot manager - this application also found the N12 and updated properly

But when I go the the Steinberg FW control panel, everything is greyed out. And when I go to REAPER - ASIO setup, all the inputs and outputs are blank.

Seems like I'm close - seems like the N12 is communicating, but I just can't figure out why the control panel fails to connect/stays greyed out.

Bout ready to give up on this guy. Should I just reinstall Windows XP and mLan???
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

I have the same exact problem. It's driving me mad. There must be a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes View Post
On my fourth or fifth install on windows 7 here, still having the Steinberg FW control panel all greyed out.

Steps i took:

Reset firmware on N12.
Installed sweet spot manager - this application also found the N12 and updated properly

But when I go the the Steinberg FW control panel, everything is greyed out. And when I go to REAPER - ASIO setup, all the inputs and outputs are blank.

Seems like I'm close - seems like the N12 is communicating, but I just can't figure out why the control panel fails to connect/stays greyed out.

Bout ready to give up on this guy. Should I just reinstall Windows XP and mLan???
Old 30th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Steps i took:

Reset firmware on N12.

Have you guys contacted Yamaha support? I'm not having any problems myself but I'd like to see how the support handles this kind of thing.
Old 1st May 2010
Gear interested

power supply

• I've got my eye on one of these that does not have a power supply. Is it needed? Or does the firewire do the trick?
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavpro View Post
  • I've got my eye on one of these that does not have a power supply. Is it needed? Or does the firewire do the trick?
You need a power supply
Old 2nd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
Have you guys contacted Yamaha support? I'm not having any problems myself but I'd like to see how the support handles this kind of thing.
I dread contacting customer support.

I always try to find answers on forums. I gave up with my Win7/Steinberg FW issues and decided to reinstall windows XP and the old mLan drivers. Took about 30 minutes including reformatting to XP but there wasn't a single hiccup. Compare that to 3-4 hours spent TRYING to get it to work on Windows 7... I'm sticking with XP.

I'm sure it's possible to get it working under Windows 7 as many folks do, but for my situation, it was not worth the hassle.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dread contacting customer support.

I always try to find answers on forums. I gave up with my Win7/Steinberg FW issues and decided to reinstall windows XP and the old mLan drivers. Took about 30 minutes including reformatting to XP but there wasn't a single hiccup. Compare that to 3-4 hours spent TRYING to get it to work on Windows 7... I'm sticking with XP.

I'm sure it's possible to get it working under Windows 7 as many folks do, but for my situation, it was not worth the hassle.
I've been on XP 64bit since I got my N12. So I didn't know there were issues with Windows 7. But from my understanding (and keep in mind I am new to the N12), is that since the update of the N12 FW drivers, we are no longer using mLan. My understanding that it is using the FW now and not the mLan. I think I read that in this thread, but it may have been elsewhere. I think you can validate this in your device manager. SO! if you are using mLan, that might mean you are installing an older version of the drivers. The latest version doesn't use mLan and may be upgraded for Windows 7.

Please let me know... cause I do plan to upgrade to Win 7 sometime in the near future.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been on XP 64bit since I got my N12. So I didn't know there were issues with Windows 7. But from my understanding (and keep in mind I am new to the N12), is that since the update of the N12 FW drivers, we are no longer using mLan. My understanding that it is using the FW now and not the mLan. I think I read that in this thread, but it may have been elsewhere. I think you can validate this in your device manager. SO! if you are using mLan, that might mean you are installing an older version of the drivers. The latest version doesn't use mLan and may be upgraded for Windows 7.

Please let me know... cause I do plan to upgrade to Win 7 sometime in the near future.
I think you are right.

I removed mLan when I installed Windows 7 and only installed the Steinberg FW drivers. I gave up on this when I could not get it to work an reverted to XP/older mLan drivers.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

hate to kick your soapbox out from under you, but seeing you're a bit of a doosh, i feel obliged..."nobody, or no pro studios will track drums in same room," huh?

while obviously not optimum, it can and has been done.tell daniel lanois he can't (he did in a home studio in new orleans, and a converted theater in LA.) also, the "neve" room at the now defunct allaire studios was one big open space, and was arguably one of the finest studios in the eastern US in it's day, so sorry for pointing out your numbskullery fuuck

omg! look at this total noob named george massenburg, in this totally non-pro studio called blackbird tracking drums as well as the whole band in the same room, in headphones! and he's using open back grado rs1i's that while sound awesome, are the worst for closing out room source sounds! i know, because i use them all the time!what was he thinking? glad there's guys like you around here that know the 'rulez' and all the right way of doing things..what a maroon

Quote:
And if you think there's nothing wrong with trying to track drums in the same room with a loud set of drums, well, good luck to you too. Note that no pro studio in the world records that way.

Sorry if that isn't "nice", but if you can't handle the truth that's your problem.

Have a nice day
so misinformed you had to say it twice! rofl.
Old 4th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavpro View Post
The power supply is a Yamaha PA-30... good luck finding one...

And I am also curious... what price tag is on this? I scoured the Internet trying to find a used N12... after weeks of searching and searching (classified, ebay, craigslist, etc) I came up with nix... Apprently these N12's are built like tanks, or people refuse to give up on them... afterall, the N12 has been in production for quite a few years now...
Old 6th May 2010
Gear nut

Please don't shoot me for asking this. I'm STILL trying to get my most basic bearings on how to use a mixer/interface (I like to plug my guitar in and play).

Right now everyone in my band plays through their own individual amplifiers. If we decided to change to the "through the board" route and use modellers and powered PA speakers to amplify our instruments (vox, bass, guitar, keys), is there still a way to use the n12 simultaneously to RECORD us? Or does the n12 have to be used EITHER as a live mixer OR an interface???

Old 6th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman90 View Post
Please don't shoot me for asking this. I'm STILL trying to get my most basic bearings on how to use a mixer/interface (I like to plug my guitar in and play).

Right now everyone in my band plays through their own individual amplifiers. If we decided to change to the "through the board" route and use modellers and powered PA speakers to amplify our instruments (vox, bass, guitar, keys), is there still a way to use the n12 simultaneously to RECORD us? Or does the n12 have to be used EITHER as a live mixer OR an interface???

If your not using a headphone cue mix...you can go direct out of the amps (use them for monitoring) to the board to record, and put the vocalist in an iso booth

...or isolate the amps (miced preferably) to the mixer to record.
Old 6th May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
And I am also curious... what price tag is on this? I scoured the Internet trying to find a used N12... after weeks of searching and searching (classified, ebay, craigslist, etc) I came up with nix... Apprently these N12's are built like tanks, or people refuse to give up on them... afterall, the N12 has been in production for quite a few years now...
I have a project to finish on my n12, then I plan to sell it because I've recently upgraded my whole rig. I'm not sure what the n12 goes for used. I think I paid 1400 USD new. It's been a good firewire interface/mixer for me. You just want to be careful not to record too hot with it. I try to stay ~ 10db down on peaks when recording ~24bit.
Old 7th May 2010
Gear interested

Question

Hello,

I'm not sure if something is wrong but when I use the aux phones all I have is the sound from that input....shouldn't get the whole mix and not just this input ? What am I not doing correctly ?

Thanks
Old 8th May 2010
Hello guys just one question: i want to buy universal audio solo 610 to use it like a more coloured pre like an insert with yamaha n12. can anyone help with some kind of conection diagram? perhaps someone works with the same setup. Should i use only 610 gain or i need to turn up n12 channel gain like using it's own pre?

btw i'm recording with ev re20 (very happy with it) , rode nt2a and ntk, i'm a little frustrated with their highs. Ntk has some kinda of silibance that i expect that solo 610 equilibrate. Thanks
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Need a little help here

have a friend on XP SP 2, 32 bit

we have the older Mlan drivers on the N12 and we installed cubase 5.1.1 on his PC tonight and the N12 does not work with it

on cubase 4.5.2, same PC it lights up fine and works perfectly

any idea if he is on XP sp2, 32 bit why this wouldn't still work?

he and I are nervous that if we update to the latest drivers now that cubase 4 projects won't work

anyway, we did the hard reset and tried everything. the Mlan drivers ASIO are selected etc and we matched up bit depth and all that

but that light won't come on and all inputs and outputs Mlan are UNMAPPED

any ideas??

thanks
Old 9th May 2010
Gear interested

A silent N8

The N8/N12 is supposed to function as a stand alone mixer if I am not mistaken, and the one I just received sends no audio to the ST or CR outputs on the back at all!

The CR phones bus works fine, but I wonder if anyone has had this problem or whether the unit might be damaged? Please let me know if you have information which could help.

I'd talk about my problems getting drivers later, that is a whole other frustrating mess (windows 7 64 bit anyone?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Need a little help here

have a friend on XP SP 2, 32 bit

we have the older Mlan drivers on the N12 and we installed cubase 5.1.1 on his PC tonight and the N12 does not work with it

on cubase 4.5.2, same PC it lights up fine and works perfectly

any idea if he is on XP sp2, 32 bit why this wouldn't still work?

he and I are nervous that if we update to the latest drivers now that cubase 4 projects won't work

anyway, we did the hard reset and tried everything. the Mlan drivers ASIO are selected etc and we matched up bit depth and all that

but that light won't come on and all inputs and outputs Mlan are UNMAPPED

any ideas??

thanks
I think I remember something about having to update the firmware to run Cubase 5. It's probably buried in this enormous thread.
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

yeah he is on the Old Mlan, and i wanted to update all of the drivers and updates but since i am on mac and he is PC i wasn't sure how to do that

is there a readme doc or does someone knwo the exact order to do this? from deleting the old Mlan, to how to set the N12 to get the upgrade and then exactly in what order to do the 4 updates??

thanks

tim
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
yeah he is on the Old Mlan, and i wanted to update all of the drivers and updates but since i am on mac and he is PC i wasn't sure how to do that

is there a readme doc or does someone knwo the exact order to do this? from deleting the old Mlan, to how to set the N12 to get the upgrade and then exactly in what order to do the 4 updates??

thanks

tim
trock, I remember pulling this from the thread a good while back

Update operation for new driver and firmware

1. Connect a computer directly to a n8/n12 (without using a hub) by using an IEEE1394 cable.
Be sure to disconnect all other IEEE1394 devices, except the one to be updated.

2. Simultaneously hold down the [PREV] button and [CLICK REMOTE ON] buttons and turn the power on for the n8/n12.
The n8/n12 will boot up in update mode. When booting up in update mode, the LED at the top of the MASTER LEVEL METER-L lights up. After a few seconds, the LED at the bottom of the MASTER LEVEL METER-R will flash.

3. Double-click "nUpdate.exe" to start the program.
When the program works correctly, "Searching for FW deviceā€¦" will briefly be shown in the Status column for a short time. Then, the Output Port column will display "FIRM." .......
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

cool

thanks!

he has downloaded the 4 updates and is reading the update manual

but i don't think they put this part in there?

so excellent info.

whew keep fingers crossed, trying to get him updated to C5 and the n12 to the current drivers

thanks!
Old 10th May 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure if something is wrong but when I use the aux phones all I have is the sound from that input....shouldn't get the whole mix and not just this input ? What am I not doing correctly ?

Thanks
I know it's a dumb question but anybody care to comment ?

Thanks
Old 10th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
hate to kick your soapbox out from under you, but seeing you're a bit of a doosh, i feel obliged..."nobody, or no pro studios will track drums in same room," huh?

while obviously not optimum, it can and has been done.tell daniel lanois he can't (he did in a home studio in new orleans, and a converted theater in LA.) also, the "neve" room at the now defunct allaire studios was one big open space, and was arguably one of the finest studios in the eastern US in it's day, so sorry for pointing out your numbskullery fuuck

omg! look at this total noob named george massenburg, in this totally non-pro studio called blackbird tracking drums as well as the whole band in the same room, in headphones! and he's using open back grado rs1i's that while sound awesome, are the worst for closing out room source sounds! i know, because i use them all the time!what was he thinking? glad there's guys like you around here that know the 'rulez' and all the right way of doing things..what a maroon

so misinformed you had to say it twice! rofl.

Misinformed? i think not. I didn't say it was impossible. I said it was unlikely you'd get a good drum sound mixing in the same room as the drums. Maybe Massenburg can, but most folks won't.

I'd guess 99% of albums recorded using live drums in the studio have the mixer in another room. So I guess all those producers are douches, numbskulls, and maroons too, huh? In that case, I'm in pretty good company.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
Hello,

Thanks I know it's a dumb question but anybody care to comment ?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean here by "all I have is the sound from that input.." From what input?

You should be setting up your aux mix in Cubase - make sure each track has something going to the AUX output in it's send. Make sure the DAW to AUX knob is turned up on the board, ditto for the AUX level knob.
Press the AUX switch on the N8 or N12 to monitor the AUX mix, it should duplicate what's going out the AUX jacks in the rear and the AUX phones jack.

Hope this helps...
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Misinformed? i think not. I didn't say it was impossible.
Umm, but you did to a degree with the certainty in your tone that "pros" would never record this way.

Quote:
Note that no pro studio in the world records that way.
talk to me when you remember your own quotes. there's no need to back peddle. simply accept the finality of your response for what it was: bollocks.

i couldn't agree more that it isn't optimum, and in fact said so in my response to the nonsense you posted. my point was simple in the fact that tracking drums and monitoring in the same room has, is and will be done in the past and the future by "pros"
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search